The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 17, 2012, 07:42 PM   #26
Hawg

I'm pretty sure Winchester makes them.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:08 AM   #27
arcticap

They certainly resemble CCI's in primer material color, size and being labeled as magnum strength and many folks recognize that.
Even ClemBert's independent measurements for the Winchester Magnum #11's matched mykeal's measurements for the CCI #11 standard.

See posts #4 and #19 in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343254

There's a photo in post #1 of the thread linked below that will really make one chuckle. A whole rack of Winchester #11 Magnum clamshell packs were filled with CCI #11 standard tins at a local Walmart.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...-printing.html

Last edited by arcticap; August 20, 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old August 19, 2012, 07:00 AM   #28
Doc Hoy

I used...

..Winchester WLPs. The problems I had (I believe) were my own fault in not seating the primers correctly.

The CCIs were on the same shelf with the Winchesters. Only reason I bought the Winchesters is that I happened to have thumbed through a reloading guide which only referenced Winchester Primers.

The LGS sells Winchesters at 3.00 a hundred and gives ten percent off so I will continue to try them.

It is entirely possible that had I used a different primer, I might have had fewer problems because it is possible that other primers are more forgiving.

Now that I still have the Auto-Primer, I will try ti and keep tack of the rounds I use the Auto-Primer for and which I use the press mounted primer.

I have been away for a week and so I have not even caste the slugs for my next shooting day.

I did get the Lee Hardness Test set. I got the idea now and we shall see how that works too.
Old August 19, 2012, 07:52 AM   #29
Beagle333

It might be this.....

I have been experimenting with some heavier bullets in my .357, and when I load the 200gr and 218gr bullets, the combination of a large cast bullet and some thick lube makes for a great piston, and I have had a few primers back out slightly from the pressure when I seated the bullet quickly. If I go slowly with my press, I haven't seen that happen. 'Just a thought.
Old August 19, 2012, 12:40 PM   #30
Doc Hoy

Beag,

Thanks for the input.

I am in the process of cleaning up the spent shells. When I get them ready I am going to pay very close attention to the seating of the primers and I will keep in mind all of the words of wisdom y'all have given me. So far nothing conflicts. Everything makes sense.