The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 8, 2011, 05:27 AM   #1
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
.22 lr suppressorsand barrel length

Reading and looking around trying to optimize rifles chambered in .22 lr has brought me to the realization that the bullets are slowing down by the time they exit that 16" barrel on my non-NFA firearms. That being said, there are sub sonic loads that one can use if one seeks them out. My question is would it be possible to have a barrel long enough to slow down a .22 lr to sub sonic velocities without being an impractical length?
Old August 8, 2011, 07:00 AM   #2
kimbershot

cz 452 trainer rifles--barrels to about 29"--shot is relatively tame. std. vel, long rifle, even shorts.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:13 AM   #3
WeedWacker

Have you chronied them at subsonic velocities or are you just saying it's a fun gun to shoot?
Old August 8, 2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Your assumption about optimal barrel length probably isn't 100% true anymore. Some makers are using slower powders in .22s (such as the Winchester Super and Hyper Speed loads, CCI Velocitor, Stingers, Aguila Super Max,etc). So I don't think the old 16" rule is quite as uniform these days.

That said, even the 29" CZ Ultralux 452 doesn't slow high velocity down to subsonic, and that's about as long as I would consider practical.

What do you want it for: the accuracy of subsonic loads, or the quieter shooting?
Old August 9, 2011, 06:10 PM   #5
WeedWacker

It's a speculative question really, aimed just for quieter shooting with the bulk box from Walmart with a suppressor. But subsonic loads can be had straight from the factory, and thinking about it now I'm not so sure I'd want to send el supremo cheapo ammo through a relatively expensive piece of equipment that took lots of time to acquire...
Old August 10, 2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Stick with CCI Standard for a rifle.
They can be had for $2.50 per 50rds at some Dicks Sporting goods stores, and at some places online. $25 for a brick is a pittance. That's cheaper than crappy Rem Subsonic at my local Wally World.

29" barrel+ 8" of suppressor would be awful to tote around, even at the range.

If you want to shoot cheap bulk ammo through a suppressor and have it stay subsonic, get a pistol with a barrel under 4-5" or so to keep the velocity down.
I don't bother shooting standard velocity or subsonic ammo through my Buckmark, because even Fed Lightnings or 550 pack ammo stay subsonic through it.
Old August 10, 2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Crosshair

Yea, your best bet is to get an SBR with a 4-5" barrel to keep standard velocity subsonic.

If you want a ghetto SBR you can try to find a Savage Striker pistol in 22 rimfire. You can get decent cheek wield on the stock and you can chop/thread the barrel to 4-5" without another NFA stamp. My Striker is threaded, but I kept the factory length barrel. I have a red-dot on line.

Not my Striker
Old August 12, 2011, 02:54 AM   #8
WeedWacker

Quote:
If you want a ghetto SBR

SBR's: another good reason to move 15 miles to the east back into Idaho. At least until they fix the silliness from Olympia....