The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2002, 08:11 PM   #1
NIGHTWATCH

Shotgun #2

I have been slowly getting together what I need to buy a second shotgun that is exactly as the first. A Remington 870 MARINE MAGNUM w/ ghost ring combat sights, Comp-stock and 4 shell side saddle attachment. Im starting to get excited.

Im planning to get a side arm (Berretta M92 Brigadier in nickel) after I relocate from this God-forsaken city. I think at that point I will be satisfied with what I have.
Old July 3, 2002, 10:44 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

why nickel? nickel is entirely too shiney and doesn't make the pistol wear any better. hard chrome would be a little better for that, i think.
Old July 4, 2002, 05:22 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good shotgun choice, but a small demurrer.

When I set up the 870 that I use for deer, I made it rather like my HD 870, extensions, peep sights and all. The idea was to practice with one, and keep the other close to pristine for "Serious" use. That was before I knew just how durable the 870s are.

I'm in favor of owning multiples of one brand, and have posted same here ad nauseam. In this case, I suggest some flexibility. An 870 set up for wingshooting is an excellent adjunct to a "Serious" one.

Also, the only criticism I have with the MM is that shiny finish. Unless your environment is quite close to salt water, a modicum of care will keep a standard finish 870 rust free and working for decades.

And good luck on getting out of NYC.

HTH....

Last edited by Dave McC; July 4, 2002 at 07:57 AM.
Old July 4, 2002, 08:43 AM   #4
KSFreeman

I always favor multiple copies of the same weapon. It makes logistics, training, etc. much easier. But that's just me now; when younger and dumb (now older and dumb) I wanted "one of each."

Don't forget to familiarize yourself with other weapon types. No one can guarantee you a rose garden or that you will fight with your weapon.

BTW, I favor the option of a light on mine. Rule #4 and all. YMMV.