The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 22, 2013, 12:03 AM   #51
David spargenator

At home, you have the advantage of going with a bigger gun. Personally I would pick my benelli nova shotgun. For me, that's the easiest weapon I can use. If your more comfortable with a handgun, then go with a handgun. Glock 17 for me. Just whatever feels natural to you. Because your best gun, is the gun you know how to use.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:39 AM   #52
Cirdan

For middle of the night, you're really going to want a light on it. I'd suggest a Glock 19 with a light and 124 grain JHP.

Personally, I have a Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm) with a light.

Practice, Practice, Practice!
Old December 22, 2013, 12:43 AM   #53
RBid

I only keep 1 firearm ready to go. Since I carry, that means my carry weapon is also my HD weapon. Glock 19 Gen 4 plus a spare does it for me. I have two copies, and I shoot and dry fire those and a 23 Gen 4 very regularly. Live fire 100/week lately, plus dry fire 3-4 days/week.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:42 PM   #54
peacefulgary

Quote:
For middle of the night, you're really going to want a light on it.
Maybe if you live alone.

But if you have kids or a wife or a girlfriend or room-mates, then just keep a flashlight near your pistol.
That way you don't have to point your pistol at one of your loved ones just to light them up.

And you can keep the flashlight away from your body, since a bad guy might just shoot at the light.
Old December 27, 2013, 02:47 AM   #55
DannyB1954

I have a Ruger SR9C among many others. When I get to bed, I take out the 10 round magazine and put in the 17 round.
Old December 27, 2013, 06:48 AM   #56
armsmaster270

My preference is my carry pistol a Sig 226 in 357Sig and a handheld flashlight.

Old December 27, 2013, 10:44 AM   #57
jamaica

XD 45. 13 rounds of 45 is awesome.

As others have noted, you will want to try some guns and find one you can both shoot and carry. Practice.

For me, there are plenty of guns in the safe. The day you need one at home, it would take too long to open the safe and load. So the home defense piece is the everyday carry piece. For me that is the Ruger LCP. Small, light and easily carried in a pocket anywhere.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:00 PM   #58
monkeyfist

My choice is my Ruger SR1911. I'm a newbie, so that's my only choice besides a S&W MP22 that I own.

I keep it in my nightstand, BUT I don't keep it cocked and locked as a sort of safety against my sleepiness - just a magazine full of JHP's. But should I worry about it? Am I being too much of a paranoid newbie by not keeping it cocked and locked?
Old December 27, 2013, 05:25 PM   #59
Mastrogiacomo

I have a Beretta 92FS Vertec....but since it's no longer available I'd recommend a good revolver - such as a S&W 686/586 4". Very reliable and wonderful sights.

Laura
Old December 28, 2013, 06:56 PM   #60
IRock

12 gauge
Old December 28, 2013, 10:36 PM   #61
rickmelear

Glock 17
Old December 28, 2013, 11:03 PM   #62
TennJed

Beretta PX4 9mm
Old December 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #63
Hunter Customs

What Wyosmith told you in post #9 is very true and very good advice, I agree with what he says.

Here's my thoughts on what gun to purchase other then a shotgun, however a good short barrel 12ga pump is pretty hard to beat as a home defense weapon.

You made the statement whatever you choose may be for home defense as well as concealed carry.

If there's a gun store with an indoor range near you that rents guns, go rent and shoot as many different models as possible.
If this is not possible contact friends that may have several different types of handguns in different calibers and see if they will let you shoot them.
The ideal is to try as many different calibers and handguns as possible to find what works best for you.

Whatever you choose, practice using your handgun until the handgun is an extension of yourself and you are very proficient with it, this includes safe handling skills.

If you do this, guns with safeties are not a problem.

As a matter of fact if you choose a double action gun with a heavy trigger pull and don't practice you will most likely shoot low with it and miss what you are shooting at completely, this is not good in a gunfight.

Follow the advice Wyosmith gave you in post #9, along with that you can't train to much for a bad situation, and when things get bad use what's between your ears, keep thinking.

In closing I hope you are never faced with having to take a life to defend a loved one or yourself, it's not a pleasant thing.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 29, 2013, 10:59 PM   #64
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfist View Post
My choice is my Ruger SR1911. I'm a newbie, so that's my only choice besides a S&W MP22 that I own.

I keep it in my nightstand, BUT I don't keep it cocked and locked as a sort of safety against my sleepiness - just a magazine full of JHP's. But should I worry about it? Am I being too much of a paranoid newbie by not keeping it cocked and locked?

Yes. You are. Load it up properly and keep the safety on. Top it off with a +1 as well. Come on buddy!!!
Old December 29, 2013, 11:06 PM   #65
machuee

I have several that my wife and I like. I have a new ( to me) H&K USP 40 Compact. Just got it and I love it. Going to shoot it tomorrow. Used to have a full size and loved that one so I know I will like this one.
Old December 30, 2013, 02:34 PM   #66
ScottyB

We have 2...

FNP-45 USG 14-15 rounds (depending on the magazine) of 45ACP with a veridian green laser

Walther P99 AS 15 rounds of 9mm with a veridian light
Old December 30, 2013, 03:32 PM   #67
SIGSHR

A 4" .357 that you have practiced with and are familiar with will do nicely 95% of the time-the other 5% will addressed in the graduate seminar. Make sure you have comfortable grips.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:09 PM   #68
SteelChickenShooter

I agree a S&W 4 inch 357 is a very good choice. As far as ammo, I have a variety with no particular loyalty. Corbon, Speer, Hornady, Winchester, Remington would all do the job. Since I happen to have a drawer with a variety of ammo I load mine with a pair of Speer 135gr, a pair of Winchester 145 Silvertips and a pair of Magtech 158gr.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:37 PM   #69
Auto5

For a home defense handgun, I like a full size service or duty weapon since weight or concealment isn't an issue. Since you did mention that it may also serve as a carry gun down the road, I would look at some of the mid sized choices (i.e. Commander, g19, k-smith, etc.).
Old December 30, 2013, 11:35 PM   #70
DannyB1954

The OP asked for
best choice of handgun for Home Defense with the possibility of concealed carry down the road

Forget the shotguns, and possibly the full size range guns. Find the gun that you would actually consider carrying, and it most likely would work at home as well.

If you do get more than one gun, I would suggest getting them in the same platforms, (same type of safeties, same type of triggers).
Old December 31, 2013, 11:38 AM   #71
KyJim

I usually carry a .45 acp 1911 when I can but my bedside gun is a SW Model 65 loaded with +P .38s. As others have noted, 3 a.m. is no time to worry about safeties and such. Simplicity is the key.
Old December 31, 2013, 11:53 AM   #72
Cirdan

"But if you have kids or a wife or a girlfriend or room-mates, then just keep a flashlight near your pistol.
That way you don't have to point your pistol at one of your loved ones just to light them up."

Rule #3
Old December 31, 2013, 01:35 PM   #73
Derbel McDillet

A verbal challenge (who's there!) works just as well - unless you have a deaf person in the house. This way you don't have to wait until you're at the brink of using deadly force to identify friend from foe.
Old January 1, 2014, 02:40 PM   #74
sheepman

training trumps weapon chose

Choose a service caliber hand gun that you shoot well and are comfortable with it's operation. Then get some good training so you don't get you self killed while protecting your family.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:54 PM   #75
Sam06

G30SF with a light.