The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 3, 2009, 02:51 PM   #26
fisherman66

Quote:
My buddy has a No. 1 in .375 H&H and he is very happy with his.
Just an FYI I though you might find interesting....It is rumored that Ruger made at least one uncatalogued #3 in .375 H&H. I read a report that the particular one I am referencing had a letter of authenticity from the factory. That would be one very uncomfortable rifle to shoot along with the #3 in your gov cartridge.
Old June 3, 2009, 07:19 PM   #27
James R. Burke

I have three Ruger No 1's. One is a .416Mag, one is .30-06 light sporter, and the other one is a .243 light sporter. I love them. I might have been lucky but with the right loads worked up they all are very accurate. The .416mag will shoot 1" five shot groups at 100 yards, the 30-06 will shoot 3/4" five shot groups at 100 yards, and the .243 will shoot 3/4" to 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards if I do my part. They all shoot better than I am able to. They have never been to a smith. It did take some work finding a good combintion of powder, bullet, and C.O.L. I think the C.O.L. was the main key when I found the sweet spot they came together. I never owned the heavy barrle, but if you are going to be just target shooting that is what I would get. I got this results with a heavy tropical, and light sporters the 1A's, so they are a long ways from a target rifle. I think they are really a good looking rifle. Most people wont buy them because of the cost, and they are a single shot. My wife has the .243. She just started hunting. Shot at two deer, and dropped them both. I had her loaded up with 100 grain Nosler partitions, and RL-22. In the .243 the bigger bullets I found like a real slow burning powder. With the .416 Mag I have shot a five shot group into one big ragged hole. I would love to try the varmint one out. If you reload I highly recommend it. Some folks do need to tweak them alittle bit, but I would think it would be worth it. Like I said I must have got lucky no problems with them being accurate, but I do think the C.O.L. came into play there reloading. The triggers could be a little better, but for what we are using them for they are just fine.
Old June 3, 2009, 10:40 PM   #28
mrmuffy

My No 1V in 223 is an absolute tackdriver.

No BS.
It shoots a nickel at 100 yards all day long.
The falling block action is very strong and tight.
BEAUTIFUL gun in every way it should be.

I also read about the newer No 1's running hot or cold.
Mine was perfect right out of the box.
Maybe I got lucky or maybe it's the heavier barrel?

A LOT of owners complained about the trigger too.
My trigger seems to suit the rifle well -no concerns at all.
I"ll probably go with the Kepplinger set up one day but
only because I really like the idea of a single set trigger.
Old June 3, 2009, 10:47 PM   #29
skydiver3346

Accuracy is so, so (of the two I own.

I really like that new Kepplinger trigger in the earlier photo by Gewehr98. Might have to get one of those for my Ruger No. 1 in 7x57. My .270 is not that accurate either, (bullets sit too tight in the chamber and hard to open action after firing.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:57 AM   #30
PTS1

I currently own 3 (1-S in 300wm, 1-A in 243, and an rsi in 7x57) and have owned 2 others. I have been able to find loads that each rifle would shoot at least under 1.5 moa. The only one I had any issues with was the rsi. It would shoot (I kid you not) 12 inch 3-shot groups. After inspecting the rifle for contact with the barrel I noticed the forend cap which is at the end of the barrel on the rsi, was pushing firmly against the barrel. I invested in a dremmel and went to work on sanding the cap down till there was no more contact. 1st trip back to the range and 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo. Remeber: If it looks like a bench rest rifle, feels like a bench rest rifle, and shoots like a bench rest rifle, it is probably a bench rest rifle. The #1 does not meet any of the above and is therefore not a bench rest rifle! It is a classy hunting rifle. If you want bench rest precision, then get a corresponding rifle and shoot from the bench! If you want an elegant hunting rifle that handles like a dream and shoots as good as anyone needs in the field, try the #1. If you don't like it, sell it and get back just about what you paid for it.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:37 AM   #31
uncyboo

My first #1B was in 300 WBY. Loved it, plenty accurate for me. Took my first elk, my only bison, and lots of deer with it. I traded it for a long (16 yrs.) sought after #1B in .280 REM. Finally found one at a gun show in Spokane. Haven't shot it yet, but there's lots of Google info on how to get it shooting strait.

I would love to have a #1B in 6mm REM and maybe a #3 in 45-70....
Old June 4, 2009, 12:50 PM   #32
Come and take it.

No. 1 are very finicky about accuracy cause of the forearm. To get a consistent match in point of impact from shooting offhand to shooting off the bench you must have your hand between the forearm and the sandbag.

Forget using a bipod altogether.
Old June 4, 2009, 01:11 PM   #33
V.Hunter

Boy, I'm glad that I never listened to anyone or read any threads about the Ruger No. 1's or I may have missed out on my favorite rifles!

I have:

1-B in 243 WIN
1-B in 30-06 SPR
1-A in 7x57 MSR
1-V in 223 REM
1-RSI 7x57 MSR

I have not hand picked these rifles, they were bought new and used, none have had aftermarket triggers or accurizing work and the worst shooting one is the 1-B in 30-06 SPR and it shoots factory FED 150gr Power-Shoks into 1.75" groups every day, with my best handloads this rifle still hovers around an inch and that is excellent for any big game rifle.

Sure there are good and bad ones just like anything out there. Contrary to popular belief even good old Remingtons dont always shoot right out of the box, as a matter of fact if a poll were to be given I bet more 700 owners have had to fiddle with their rifles than have No.1 owners.

I do and have owned Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Mauser, Savage, Weatherby, TC, FN, Marlin, H&R, Sauer, Browning, and others. I have had to do far more work (accurizing and load development) to my bolt and break action rifles than I have ever had to do with my No.1's.

Quote:
No. 1 are very finicky about accuracy cause of the forearm. To get a consistent match in point of impact from shooting offhand to shooting off the bench you must have your hand between the forearm and the sandbag.

Forget using a bipod altogether.
Totally untrue. My No.1 V in 223 REM shoots the same off the bags as it does my bipod. This is a favorite varmint rifle of mine and if they are inside of 350 yards or so this rifle puts and end to their lives.

This is of course my experience and I'm sure others will vary.

Last edited by V.Hunter; June 4, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old June 10, 2009, 10:48 PM   #34
dgludwig

My No 1V in 223 is an absolute tackdriver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
No BS.
It shoots a nickel at 100 yards all day long.
The falling block action is very strong and tight.
BEAUTIFUL gun in every way it should be.

I also read about the newer No 1's running hot or cold.
Mine was perfect right out of the box.
Maybe I got lucky or maybe it's the heavier barrel?

A LOT of owners complained about the trigger too.
My trigger seems to suit the rifle well -no concerns at all.
My experience with the Ruger Number One Varminter mirrors yours in every respect except mine is chambered in .220 Swift. Out of the box, it's the most accurate rifle I've ever possessed-and I've owned way more than I want to own up to!
Old June 10, 2009, 11:25 PM   #35
Ruger4570

It is sorta funny, everyone of us wants a gun that will shoot minute or less groups. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't know how important it is in a hunting gun or situation.
I live in a State where a lot of the shooting is shotgun only. Many hunters have NO CHOICE but to use their shotguns, with a smooth bore shooting a 1 oz hunk of lead that doesn't really fit the bore and nothing but a front bead for reference. Many still get their deer way out to 100 yards or so.
The tiny, itsy bitsy, teeny weenie. little bitty (Rosanne Rosanna Danna voice) little groups are fine, but in reality,,, how important is it?
A deers kill zone is at least 6 inches, so you have 3 inches up or down, left or right to take it. Why do we get all wrapped up in tiny groups as a measure of a guns ability to take game. Hunting is not a National Match Contest.
If your hunting rifle shoots 1/4 inch groups or less, great, but you probably don't and won't have any better luck than the guy whose gun shoots 2 inches or more in taking game. The kill zone on most animals are not measured in quarter inches.
Old June 10, 2009, 11:49 PM   #36
dgludwig

Quote:
The kill zone on most animals are not measured in quarter inches.
It is on the ground hogs I hunt with the aforementioned Swift!
Old June 11, 2009, 06:22 AM   #37
BlueTrain

My first Ruger single shot was a No. 3 in .223 and it had all the beauty of a Civil War cavalry carbine. In other words, it was very functional but on the plain side. But the action was identical, as far as I could tell, to a No. 1 and worked fine. I finally got a No. 1 and in .45-70. There was no question about which cartridge I wanted one in. I'm not good enough or sensitive enough to tell any difference in triggers or accuracy, so all of that goes over my head, which is OK.

I can't name another rifle that has the looks of a No. 1, especially including a No. 3, which has virtually all the same pieces and parts. I gather from what the deal said (who had about two dozen from his father's collection) that sometimes the wood isn't as nice on some rifles as it is on others but I was well pleased with me, but I'm not that hard to please.

I sure wish I had another one. Another .45-70.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:32 AM   #38
Come and take it.

I have owned two No.1s and they both had accuracy and change of point of impact problems that were not scope related. I can only speak from my own experience.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:46 AM   #39
Cooperhawk

I have two No. 1's. One in .243, and one in 7mm Mauser. I also have a No. 3 in .22 Hornet. I also own several other rifles as well.
The .243 is a tack driver. I used it for many years to shoot varmint in Virginia until I purchased a .220 Swift in a Ruger M77 Varmint.

I always tune any rifle I will be using for any extensive shooting. I do this by experimenting with various loads until I find the most accurate load in the fps range I am looking for. It takes time, but I find that the Ruger Rifles can be extremely accurate with just a little work.

I also seal the stocks with "Birch Casey" sealer. It is a hand rubbed finish and I think it makes the wood even more beautiful as well as water repellent.

I have rifles with synthetic stocks, but for really truly beautiful rifles, I prefer walnut. Just me.
(RETIRED)
Old June 11, 2009, 11:05 AM   #40
BlueTrain

This really isn't the place to say so, but I think old fashioned curly maple makes an attractive wood for a gunstock. Only I think I'd have to quit thinking it only belonged on a Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle. I'm sure it's been done but I don't think I've seen one on a modern rifle like a bolt action.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:33 PM   #41
Slowshot

N0. 1 220 Swift

I have a Ruger No. 1 Varmint in 220 Swift. I have a Harris Bipod and a Tacso 6-24X42 Target/Varmint scope mounted to the rifle.

I just got started in 100 yard load development, following guidelines from the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition. At this point, all I have tried are some Speer 40 gr. SP and some Speer 55 gr. FMJ BT, both with IMR 4064 powder.

So far my best groups are with the 40 gr. bullets and 37.0 grains of the IMR 4064. With that load my smallest five shot group has been .88" (edge to edge) with a five group average of 1.34".

While I realize this is not competition benchrest shooting, I feel initial results are encouraging. Next, I have loaded up 100 rounds of Berger 55 gr. Match bullets with Vihta Vuori N160 powder, starting at 39.5 gr and loading twenty round batches increasing .5 gr. between each batch. I plan to try those loads at the range next week.

I also plan to try some 40 gr. bullets with the Lyman's best recommendation of 35 gr. of IMR 3031.

Please be aware that I am a novice shooter, rather than an experienced target shooter or varmint hunter. If I can attain 1" average 100 yard groups as I expect to do, you experienced shooters should do be able to do so with ease.

The Ruger No. 1 may not be a competition rifle but it shoots fine for me and you can't ignore the look and the fondle factor.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:03 PM   #42
lev83

I personally own 4 of these fine rifles and have found them all to be good if not great shooters. I too have read all of the propaganda surrounding the No. 1 rifle and just dont buy it as none of my rifles have needed any adjusting or modification to shoot moa or better other than a minimum of load developement.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:32 AM   #43
warbirdlover

The Ruger #1 is the prettiest gun Ruger makes and IMHO is the prettiest single shot rifle made. My former neighbor (a gunsmith) was building one with custom wood. Man was that thing sweet.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:46 AM   #44
darkgael

I own one. It is, as others have said repeatedly, one of the prettiest rifles available.
I have had it for years now - a #1 Tropical. I'd always wanted a rifle chambered for a classic African cartridge. There it was in the gun store one day. I have no real use for it but it was an itch that I had to scratch. I shoot it fairly regularly (handloading is a must to keep costs down). I have not benched it. I shoot it from field positions - sitting on the ground or standing. Accuracy under those circumstances is quite acceptable out to 100 yards, the farthest that I have shot it. It shoots right where it is pointed.
Pete
Old January 30, 2010, 04:43 PM   #45
horseman308

My #1 was a standard in .308win. Out of the box, it was one of the few that had a great trigger, so I never needed to do any work to it. I ended up shimming the forearm, sanding the barrel channel, and cramming a piece of a plastic shotgun pellet cup between the barrel and hanger (probably all redundant, but just to be sure). With the right loads (Federal match and one other handload my friend worked up) it would shoot sub moa. When I would shot one single shot a day, so that each shot was a cold-bore shot, it would nearly put them all in the same hole.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:57 PM   #46
James R. Burke

COOPERHAWK thanks for the tip on the birch casey. I will give it a try. I really like the looks of the wood, and that should really make it stand out. Never thought about hand rubbing anything into it. Anyone else have any ideas this way? Thanks again. Jim
Old January 30, 2010, 09:07 PM   #47
Slowshot

Games vs. Sports

darkgael

In your recent message you quoted Hemingway a bit incorrectly. The correct quote is:
"Only mountain climbing, auto racing, and bullfighting are sports, the rest are games."

But then again, Ernie was oversimplifying a bit. I guess he never tried downhill skiing or motorcycle racing? But then, he failed to include both deep sea fishing and big game hunting, with which he was familiar. Go figure? I would say, if your life does not depend on your physical skill, experience and judgment, it's just a game.

Though I am disabled, I am an avid motorcyclist and designer of modifications for the disabled motorcyclist. I can assure you it is not a game.

I have a friend on the east coast who hunts wild pig with a pistol. Now, ignoring my comment about good judgement, that's a sport.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:18 PM   #48
salvadore

My brother had a #1 Tropical in .375 H&H that shot into an inch off the bench until the blood from the scope cut made it too hard to see the target. I had a #1 AB, possibly the ugliest #1 made, in .223 that also shot into an inch with the RCBS .22 cast bullet at about 2700fps or was it 2300fps. Anyway fast enough to shatter the linotype bullet when it hit a ground squirrel. The AB was free floated and glassed up near the reciever and the Tropical was factory stock. #1s are a classy rifle.
Old February 4, 2010, 04:37 AM   #49
Slowshot

Rodent Detonation

My Ruger No. 1 220 Swift sends 40 gr. bullets out the barrel at 3906 fps. with 35 gr. of IMR 3031 or a 45 gr. bullet at 4219 fps. with 38.5 gr. of the IMR 3031 . If any rodent gets in the way, it's pretty much the "Red Mist" syndrome.

But then, I can't see the need for 4000+ fps. so I don't load that hot. I want my Ruger's barrel to last a while. If 3906 fps. was good enough for Grandpa, it's good enough for me.
Old February 4, 2010, 05:52 AM   #50
darkgael

Ruark

Slowshot:
Quote:
In your recent message you quoted Hemingway a bit incorrectly. The correct quote is:
"Only mountain climbing, auto racing, and bullfighting are sports, the rest are games."

I've had people mention the Hemingway link before. The quote that you have cited is - in one form or another - generally attributed to Hemingway. Whether H actually said or wrote this is a matter of continuing discussion amongst the scholars.
The variation that I use is, in fact, a quote from a book by Robert Ruark, who may have been paraphrasing Papa.