The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2000, 10:41 PM   #1
Cliff

Hi all,

I received a Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights for Christmas. Lucky me! <G>

While inspecting and testing it, I noticed that if I load only ONE shell in the tube and then rack the action, roughly 70% of the time the shell just sits in the tube and won't drop onto the elevator. If I load a second shell and rack, THAT shell will load fine, eject and the remaining shell will, again, stay in the tube. Manually depressing the cartridge stop allows the stubborn shell to pop out just fine.

I then field stripped the weapon, cleaned and re-lubed with CLP and Tetra grease and reassembled.

Same thing.

My first thought is that the mag spring may be a little weak. Either that, or it doesn't like the Estate shells that I have.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Cliff
Old January 8, 2000, 09:05 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cliff, this is a new gun so there may be a burr somewhere on the shell stop that the spring is not strong enough to push past with only one in the tube. Two or more add tension to it. I'd suspect that this will cure itself quickly. Put a box or two through it and see what happens. If the problem persists send it back to Mossberg. George
Old January 8, 2000, 10:41 AM   #3
Ruger guy

I have a 590 that I used for the first time only a couple of weeks ago. It's been sitting around waiting for a while. I didn't try what you described, but the fewest number of shells that I loaded were three. I had no feeding problems at all. I did do some rapid fire with all nine shells a couple of time and it was great. I think once I got rolling it used me. Sort of like a little kid walking a big dog.

No stange new gun clitches at all.I'd call mossberg.
Old January 8, 2000, 09:58 PM   #4
Cliff

Thanks for the replies.

George, I agree - I'll give it a good breaking in period and then take it from there.

Ruger guy - Hehe... I liked your description about the little kid and the dog. That's exactly how I think of it when using slugs or buckshot!

Cliff
Old January 9, 2000, 12:49 AM   #5
Ruger guy

It was new years eve at the range and there wasn't any 00 buckshot in sight. I guess everybody snatched it for their home. (y2k)Anyway, you should have seen everyone at the indoor range when I was unloading those 2and 3/4" and 3"magnum slugs. (Hey, that's all I could find.) It looked like a flame thrower instead of a shotgun. It was better than any amusement ride I've ever been on. What a rush. I feel the testosterone levels skyrocket just thinking about that ride. Even the desert eagle guys weren't so cocky afterwards. Imagine that.

In all seriousness though, it's the best solution for overcoming an anticipation problem when shooting your 9mm pistol. Straightens you right out. The 9mm seems like a bb gun after that.