The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 20, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1
balyon85

Difference in wait times?

I'm on the fence on if I want a serbu super shorty or an all out sbs. I know the tax stamp is different, $5 vs $200, but is the wait time the same?
Old October 21, 2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Theohazard

It's the same examiner and, as far as I know, the same wait time. Unless there's some internal paperwork difference I'm not aware of.

More importantly, considering it's taking so long these days, even if there was a difference it wouldn't be much. There's almost no market for used NFA items, so most likely you're going to have this gun for life. Even if there was a difference in wait times (and I don't think there is), you should pick based on which one you want more, not which one might take less time. I vote get the SBS.

Last edited by Theohazard; October 21, 2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Typo
Old October 21, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
balyon85

Re: Difference in wait times?

I was leaning to a sbs. I like the super shorties, but don't like that they hold only two in the tube. Their breacher barrel wouldn't be bad, but anything with a buttstock is prefered, thanks. Got to get with my local class 3 dealer and find the perfect shotgun. Thanks.
Old October 22, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Quote:
There's almost no market for used NFA items, so most likely you're going to have this gun for life
Wrong. There is almost no market for used suppressors but people buy and sell used SBR, SBS, AOW, and machine guns every day.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman
Wrong. There is almost no market for used suppressors but people buy and sell used SBR, SBS, AOW, and machine guns every day.
Good point. I live in a state where machine guns, SBSs, and SBRs are illegal and AOWs are mostly novelty guns; 99.9% of my NFA experience is with suppressors. I knew machine guns were a used market of course, but I wasn't aware that there was a large used market for those other NFA items. But now that I think of it, it makes sense. Thanks for the correction.