The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 18, 1999, 03:04 PM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Monday I had gone down to American Fork in Utah, and stopped by THE SHOOTING RANGE to do some hole punching with my USP.

I will post the ranges contact information later. It is a bear to get to, but worth it once you find it... I recomend hiring a Sherpa Guide for your first time.

Got a box of Blazers in .40 - I know, bu ti didn't have much cash on hand as I forgot to hit an ATM on the way like I planned... The range is one of the best around. New, Clean, well lit, and Open... The shop has all kinds of stuff at good prices... Including a HK P7 holster in the used box.
Lots of Cold Steel knives in the case. A Norinco 1911 for under 300 and a Detonics .45 - the little compact that started the rage for under 400! VP70Z was there as well. Lots of goodies.

Any ways - my HK was giving me double feeds!
This is not tolerable! Turns out it was my magazine. One of my original Factory mags.
This is something that needs fixed. The Blazers may have been an issue - I've never shot them in my HK before. Or I need to replace the mag... It also tossed a live round out and hit me in the head during cycling on one shot...
Either its the mag - or the HK will go up for trade for a used Springfield 1911!

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old August 18, 1999, 08:47 PM   #2
General

I think the second time I shot my USP was with Blazers. I to run short of cash. I have a USP 45C and it ate them without a problem. Did you like the range in American Fork. They opened a new one in Ogden not to long ago and it is a shorter drive for me?
Old August 19, 1999, 12:04 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Yeah, I am thinking it must have been the magazine... It IS an old and over used one...
Magazines are the most undercared for part of an auto pistol - yet the most critical...

The range in AF was great, I would go again. If Ogden is closer - well distance isnt the concern - its the traffic and torn up freeways that is the problem - I will have to try them there. Don't go to Ogden too often.

------------------
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old August 19, 1999, 04:44 PM   #4
Dan

Probably not the Blazers. I've shot about 400 blazers thru my USP 40C. 180gr FMJ, 165 gr FMJ and 155 gr PHP's. No malfunctions.

Trade your H.K. for a Springfield? Don't let Kodiac hear you say that.

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Old August 19, 1999, 07:46 PM   #5
Cheapo

Dan, I think George Hill IS/WAS Kodiac.

GH/K: Loaded rounds popping out is almost always a too-wide feed lip problem, IME. Do a quick visual check on your mag's feed lips. If they're say, 1 mm or so wider than the other mags', just bite the thing into submission.

The plastic covering over the metal makes that an almost pain-free activity.

What's the max downrange distance at this great shooting range, anyway?

Old August 19, 1999, 08:19 PM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I will have to take a closer look at the lips. Getting an HK and then having it jam up like a Ruger may make one loose his religion...

------------------

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE