The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1
pitmanr2003

Problem with Dillion Square D

I was loading today and loader started getting real hard to stroke. I tore it all apart and it appears its the float pin that the handle attaches to. It will slide up and down freely inside the press. but the handle wont move freely on pin. I tried to knock pin out. with know luck and I had the set screw out. Can someone tell me how to get it out or if it could be something else. I have took everything else off and thats where its froze at.
Old April 11, 2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I assume you are referring to the link pin that ties the handle to the press ram? It's the only one in the press handle without a white Delryn bushing. Sounds like it lost lube and packed up with aluminum dust. I've had mine for twenty years and I can shove the handle up and just push on that pin and slide it back and forth with my fingers. No problem.

If I'm right about which pin it is, I think you want to apply a few drops of Kroil or PB Blaster at each end of the pin. Wait a day and repeat. On the third day do it once more, then see if the handle doesn't go up and down a lot more freely? If so, then take a dowel and hammer and tap it out. If you mess up the parts, Dillon will send you new ones free, so I don't think you're at great risk here. You can also call their 800 number for free advice on this.

I had to get a replacement for my press's original handle because a casting flaw made it wedge and rub the press frame. It was still quite new then. When I put it back together, knowing how I do things, I probably put some kind of high end Teflon-bearing assembly grease on it, and that may be why it is still loose today? If you ground up enough aluminum, you may need Dillon to send you replacements in the scored parts to keep the linkage tight?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 11, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3
D. Manley

I think that's the "Crank Pin", part #13622. If it don't free up after UN's advice, it will come out but if light taps don't get it, I'd dismount the press to & lay it down for support before putting much of a rap on it.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4
pitmanr2003

Thats exactly what I was talking about. I put some grease on the out side and in the set screw hole and moved it and it got free again. But I would like to grease it better so I sprayed some pb blaster and will try to remove it in a day or so.