The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
muskrat24

Mossberg 185d-b question?

My father bought an old mossberg 185d-b bolt action 20 guage a long time ago. I'm 20 now and the last time I used it was 5 years ago. I got it out of the gun cabinant and was gonna do a little shooting with it. But I noticed when the bolt is closed you can see a thin gap and the end of the brass of the shell. Now I had someone tell me that it is fine to fire. But I keep getting a uncertain feeling about firing it. No a week or so ago I seen another similar model mossy at a garage sale not more then 5-10 year difference in the models. The mossy at the garage sale also had this thin gap. So I'm wondering for those of you familiar with older mossberg bolt actions is, is this normal? Thank you fellas for your time.
Old October 9, 2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, that's perfectly normal, and if the gun is in good condition it should be fine to fire.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 9, 2010, 08:14 PM   #3
muskrat24

I just want to clarify where I"m talking about

I pointed a small flashlight down the barrel and you can see the thin line of light where the bolt meets the chamber.
Old October 9, 2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes, I know what you were talking about. Every one of these guns you pick up is going to have the exact same thing going on.

Its part nature of the design of the gun, its part nature of the cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.