The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
GoGators

How long to you tumble?

I have a Frankford Arsenal tumbler with corn cob media and Flitz polish added. How long do you think it should take to clean the brass? Is there any problem with tumbling too long?? I have some once fired brass that has been sitting for years and is quite dirty.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:01 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Welcome to TFL! I tumble brass for 2-4 hours, depending how dirty it is. I have tumbled brass for 8 or 10 hours before....oops! It doesn't hurt the brass....just wastes electricity! Tumble for 2 or 3 hours and check it. If it is clean, you're done! If not, give it an extra 1/2 hour or hour. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 28, 2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Steviewonder1

Tumble Time

I tumble 6-8 hours for all brass. This gets them shinny and spotless. I can do 500 40Cal or 350 45ACP at one time. Nothing wrong with letting them going a bit longer.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:15 PM   #4
GoGators

How much brass fits in a tumbler at one time? I was planning on like 200 9mm's.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:16 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

200 9mms is ok. if you get it too full it won't clean as fast.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 1, 2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Tuzo

About one hour for my own recovered brass with walnut media and a bit of Hornady One Shot. For range brass I wash in simmering water and a drop or two of dish detergent for a couple of minutes, rinse well, dry, and then into the tumber for about two hours. Brass comes out shiney and clean inside and out. About fifteen minutes for completed reloads to remove case lube.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Double J

I use corn cob/pecan hull mix in my big tumbler. Can clean up 1000+ brass in about 90 minutes. Usually run just long enough to remove all the outside crud. Leaving a dull finish. My drum is 55 gallon plastic barrel, turns 44 RPM with small L- clips as mixing paddles. Can over-do it if I don't watch close.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

It does depend on the media. The green Lyman corncob is fastest and will do a good job in an hour when it is new (if you haven't packed the tumbler too full of brass). By the time it is worn out it is taking more like four hours.

I got one of those mechanical timer switches for attic fans from Lowes. 12 hour maximum. I hooked it up in an electrical box to an outlet and just set it for however many hours I think the media will need to work in its current condition. I leave it running out in the Garage where nobody has to listen to it, then go back later or the next day for media separation.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 1, 2009, 01:53 PM   #9
markr

If you want to do a lot of brass at once but it won't fit, dump some brass in the tumber and turn it on for a few minutes for the media to occupy the case, then dump in more cases. At least that is what I do.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 1, 2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Brianb131

4 Hours, they always come out bright and shiney!
Old March 1, 2009, 03:59 PM   #11
the_right_reverend

turn it on and go to work my reloading room is in a old bedroom
Old March 1, 2009, 04:29 PM   #12
ZeSpectre

Quote:
It does depend on the media. The green Lyman corncob is fastest and will do a good job in an hour when it is new (if you haven't packed the tumbler too full of brass). By the time it is worn out it is taking more like four hours.

I got one of those mechanical timer switches for attic fans from Lowes. 12 hour maximum. I hooked it up in an electrical box to an outlet and just set it for however many hours I think the media will need to work in its current condition. I leave it running out in the Garage where nobody has to listen to it, then go back later or the next day for media separation.
Almost exactly the same for me though I recently switched media and am using crushed Kaytee Walnut Bird Litter from PetSmart.

Two hours on the timer (three for "range pickup brass") and it's clean and shiny and the walnut seems to do a good job cleaning the inside as well. When I start to see a dark "ring around the tumbler" I dump the media, wipe down the tumbling bowl, and pour in some new media. I seem to get about 1500-2500 pcs of brass tumbled before I need to replace the media. I'd probably get more but I do a lot of range pick-up brass and it's usually about as filthy as you can imagine.
Old March 1, 2009, 05:15 PM   #13
GoGators

Doesn't look like many of you are using an additive. Those that do, how often to you add it? I bought a bottle of Flitz, do you like it?
Old March 1, 2009, 05:25 PM   #14
Tom2

Yea you guys add all this crud and chemicals to the media, how do you wash that junk off when they are done, though? I don't want that abrasive powder or junk getting into my gun. How long to run? It depends on the media and how much brass. Don't be afraid to turn the thing off every half hour and inspect some of the brass to see if it is done. You could let it run all day, all you will be doing is wasting electricity after the brass gets shiny.
Old March 1, 2009, 05:42 PM   #15
ZeSpectre

I add a squirt of Mecguiers polish wax to "condition" the walnut media when I first start using it but that's mostly to cut the dust down. (it does keep the brass shiny longer too).
Old March 1, 2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Crankylove

About an hour. I don't tumble to make my brass nice and shiny, I tumble to clean the brass of fouling, dirt, and surface corrosion. If it comes out of the tumbler all shiny like it just left the factory, thats great, but my only goal is to get them clean.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:26 PM   #17
oneounceload

Lots of folks use Nu-finish from wally world to help polish the brass. A used dryer sheet, cut-up, will help keep the dust down. When my brass is done after about 2 hours, they come out clean without the need to wipe anything off.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:46 PM   #18
rrp

With the flitz added, your brass should be nice and shiney in a couple hours. I just started using it on my last two loads of brass. It does a real nice job.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:50 PM   #19
DiscoRacing

2-3 hours.... i usually do mine for
Old March 1, 2009, 07:29 PM   #20
TheNatureBoy

I usually tumble for 3 hours. Sometimes longer if I forget I turned the dag gone thing on. Left it on for 12 hours last week. Talk about nice looking brass.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:37 PM   #21
charleym3

I find that 80% of the work is done in an hour for most brass. The tough stuff with water marks, that dark icky color, it needs 8-10 horus and polish additive. I use the stuff from Midway and corncob media.
I've also found that the really stained brass will clean up better after its been loaded and shot a couple times.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:38 PM   #22
orionengnr

I use a timer and set it for four hours. That is with normal, once fired or range pick-up brass, with treadted media or a capful of Nu-Finish.

At the other end of the spectrum, I bought some absolutely nasty 30-06 brass a year ago that took about three days at 8 hours per day before it looked presentable.

Yes, there are variables...fresh media does a better job, Nu-Finish helps to clean the cases, dryer sheets help lengthen the life of the media.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:06 PM   #23
PCJim

I use an appliance timer with the pins set to run for 2 hours. As Ron Popiel used to advertise, "set it and forget it". As to additives, I add 2-3 tablespoons of paint thinner to the walnut media (Kaytee, available at Walmart and Petsmart).

Word to the wise: if you add anything wet to the media, run the tumbler for a minimum of 15 minutes before adding brass. If you do not perform this first step, you will likely spend a lot of time removing clustered media from inside your cases.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:18 PM   #24
zxcvbob

I'm using corncob blasting media (grade 1420) with just enough rouge added to turn it a little bit pink. I usually tumble the brass overnight. It doesn't take that long, I just don't want to get up at 3:30 A.M. to turn off the tumbler and an extra few hours doesn't hurt anything. I usually tumble about 60 to 100 .38 Specials and maybe a handful of 9mm at a time. Or fifty or so .45 Colts.

Walnut grit is faster, but I got a good deal on the corncob and it does the job. Next time I replace the grit I'll use some of that Lyman's TuffNut that I bought a few years ago (boy that stuff is messy if you use it straight) diluted with an equal amount of untreated corncob.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:37 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

I tumble 'til the dirt and powder residue is gone. With clean media, I was getting there in about 30-45 minutes with most brass.

Right now the media is pretty dirty, but still useful. I'm getting satisfactory brass in about 1-1.5 hours.

When I polish, on the other hand; I run the tumbler for 3-6 hours.