The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 22, 2013, 07:59 PM   #26
PoiDog

Would removing the bayonet lug from your Garand then make it okay?

Just curious, in case such stupidity comes to the People's Republic I live in.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:33 PM   #27
Fishbed77

Quote:
Any rifle that has the capacity to hold over seven rounds in a magazine or clip AND has one "military feature" such as bayonet lug,pistol grip or threaded muzzle is considered an "assault weapon".
Dang. What are all the gangbangers going to use for their drive-bys if they can't use their Garands?
Old January 22, 2013, 08:43 PM   #28
MMV.30

@PoiDog I would have to assume yes. The list states the Ruger mini-14 and 10-22 as not "assault rifles" even though they have over 7 round mags.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:16 PM   #29
stu925

According to the SAFE FAQ pages, yes removing the bayonet lug would negate the need to register. The way I read the Bill (S2230) there is an exemption for firearms that are 50 years old or older, however it will need to be registered. So if I read this right you can still order your Garand but it will need to be registered. I may have to call the hotline and double check this, I've been waiting to order my Garand until my taxes come back. If this is not the case I'll have to scrap that plan until either a) the law is repealed or b) I retire and move out of NY and who knows if they'll still be available. I'll be calling the hotline on Thursday and will report back when I have that info.

Stu
Old January 23, 2013, 12:13 AM   #30
Metal god

Here is my 10/22 . Boy would I be in trouble

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 23, 2013, 04:17 AM   #31
darkgael

Site

Quote:
the SAFE FAQ pages
Do you have a link to that? The State police is supposed to have posted a list and other info on their website but every link that I have tried has ended with a "page not found" note at the SP web page.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:02 PM   #32
stu925

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq
There it is but I doubt it's going to help much in this instance

As for the SAFE FAQ, it specifically says a detachable magazine and one or mor features. Check it out here:
http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/do...edFeatures.pdf

I'm still going to call the hotline either tomorrow or Friday because I want to ask if reloading components are subject to the same restrictions that loaded ammo is.

Stu
Old January 24, 2013, 03:14 AM   #33
Auto426

Quote:
They picked the number 7, because it bans 95% of all handgun models in NY ... Period.
The law doesn't ban the guns themselves. It simply screws over law abiding gun owners by making their 10 round magazines illegal unless permanently modified to hold 7 rounds.

But, the idiots who wrote the law have no real knowledge of firearms, and naturally it's not so cut and dry to just put a 7 round limit into place. The Garand is one example, since it's en bloc holds 8 rounds but the first round is immediately stripped off into the chamber, leaving only 7 in the gun. Shotguns are another big question, since different size shells leave the gun with different maximum capacities.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:26 AM   #34
lcpiper

Quote:
They picked the number 7, because it bans 95% of all handgun models in NY ... Period.

You guys kill me. The dude makes an obviously rhetorical statement and you guys wana get all exact on him. You need to loosen the wraps a little, you're wound too tight.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:09 PM   #35
stu925

Just got off the phone with the hotline (1-855-LAW-GUNS). Garands are not affected by the new law because they do not feed from a detachable magazine. He did say that you will have to load your Garand with 7 rounds (not sure how you would accomplish that). By the way as a side note.....reloaders are not affected by the new law, now if we can just get all the supply houses on board. Just thought I'd share the news.

Stu
Old January 25, 2013, 05:01 PM   #36
Fishbed77

Quote:
He did say that you will have to load your Garand with 7 rounds (not sure how you would accomplish that).
I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more Garand thumbs per capita in New York.

You guys should sue the state for reckless endangerment of your thumbs.