The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
awbrock

Nastiest Rifle I've ever seen!!!

I recently bought a used Remington 7400.

I checked the function of the rifle and the bore (best I could with a flashlight) had the guy that owned it shoot it.

Brought it home wiped it down good, checked the scope at the range. After about the second group of three I noticed the cases didn't want to eject; and the extraction ring was torn.

Talked to a semi-gun smith today; he told me the chamber needed a good cleaning.

I disassembled the rifle; OMG..... This thing couldn't have been cleaned since it was new. There's carbon and gunk everywhere.

The chamber looks like a cast iron pot.... well it's not that bad..... I don't guess. Running a chamber brush in and out on a cordless drill got most of it.... now a little 1000 grit sand paper....

I would sell the rifle but I'd be ashamed someone would think I was the reason for such neglect.

Any suggestions on getting that chamber slick????
Old November 1, 2011, 11:20 PM   #2
SIGSHR

I would be very careful cleaning the chamber, you don't want to enlarge it and get it out of spec.
One of my Iron Rules is that I like to use chemistry instead of elbow grease. Perhaps corking the chamber end, puring in solvent from the muzzle, corking that and then let it soak for a few days with the muzzle vertical would help.
Just my $.02.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:40 AM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Polish that Chamber

Clean as good as possible , then polish with a bore mop and Flitz or Simichrome metal polish . I do this with the barrel off and the mop on a short piece of rod chuched in a cordless drill in low gear .
Old November 2, 2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Clark

Some guy wanted me to look at his guns.
He had inherited them.
There were Drillings break action triple rifles with engraving.

There were two minty old Browning 22 semi auto rifles that he could not get to work.
I just cleaned out the gunk in the action.
Then they worked and he was happy.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 12, 2011, 08:59 PM   #5
DWFan

A candidate for an Ackley chamber maybe?
Old November 13, 2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Powderman

You need a nylon bore brush.

Chuck that into a 3/8th variable speed drill, on the end of a cleaning rod. (You might want to do this outside.)

Now, dunk that brush in straight Simple Green and go for it. Push the brush into the chamber, and run the drill at slow speed for about 20 seconds. Remove the brush, rinse, reload with Simple Green and repeat. Do that about 3 or 4 times.

Now, dry patch a couple of times. Take a look with a good strong bore light, and see what is left--if anything.

An alternative--if you can get to one big enough--is to stick the end of that chamber into an ultrasound filled with Simple Green, and turn it on for about 30 minutes.

Simple Green is one of the most effective caked-on carbon removers I have seen. I cleaned the BCG from one of my AR's; then, just for the heck of it, dropped it into the ultrasound with a 50-50 mix of Simple Green and water. Turned it on--and watched the carbon fly right out!!!

For the bore itself, you'll want to give it a good scrubbing with loose fitting patches and Sweet's 7.62 solvent.
Old November 13, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Jo6pak

+1 on the Simple Green, nylon brush idea.
I did that to clean up an old cruddy BP pistol I bought years ago, worked like a charm
Old November 13, 2011, 06:29 PM   #8
hootey

Horrible chamber

Never heard of using the Simple Green to clean a rifle, ought to work if ya think about it for a minute. We used it to wash all the ford pickups at work, they get real dirty. Got a Mauser 30-06 11 or 12 years ago in similiar condition, could barely see light through the bore. I plugged the end of barrel, stood it on end, and filled it with Kroil penetrating oil. Let it sit for a couple weeks, kept the barrel/chamber full of the Kroil oil. Did the same with the bolt. Did this for a couple weeks. When I drained the barrel the gunk that came out looked like very dirty motor oil. Spent several hours cleaning the chamber, bore, and the bolt assembly. The bolt and bore look like new today. Shoot a 4" group/100yds all day with 180gr speer spitzers w/open sites. Great shooter, would win an ugly gun contest anywhere. It is well worth the time invested, as well as the money( paid $80 ). Just another idea, it worked for me. Hope this helps..
Old November 13, 2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Navy joe

If you have to use SG have a plan to get it all out including blind holes, pivot pin holes, faying surfaces, installed threads etc. SG loves to cause corrosion problems, aluminum especially.
Old November 14, 2011, 02:27 PM   #10
tommixx

yes simple green and a nylon brush works when cleaning any guns,it might take several times good luck