The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Skitt

Ruger SR1911 Brass

I just bought the SR1911 CMD. Does anyone else have problems with it
dinging the case mouth upon ejection? I reload and I'm concerned that it will
render my brass useless?
If anyone else has had this issue, did you fix it? How? And have you reloaded any of the dinged brass? Any Issues? I load on a Lee Pro1000.
Thank you for your time!!!

Skitt
Old February 1, 2014, 10:04 AM   #2
jmhyer

I don't know anything about this issue as relates to the Sig1911. However, I would say that, if the brass isn't cracked or split, and it looks ok after it's resized on your press, it should be fine for reloads.

Also, you might want to post this same question in the reloading section, where might be seen by a different crowd of knowledgeable folks.
Old February 1, 2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Bullet Bill

I have reloaded the dinged brass many times. I have an AO 1911 that doesn't have a lowered or flared ejection port so the brass is often dinged. Of the SR1911s that I have shot, none of them have dinged the brass. It may be as easy as adjusting your grip or you may have to bring it to a gun smith to get the extractor and ejector tuned. If the gun runs good and dinged brass doesn't worry you then I would leave it be.
Old February 1, 2014, 10:22 AM   #4
boondocker385

I reload a ton of "dinged brass" from various 45s....no issues.
Old February 1, 2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Skitt

The gun shoots perfect so as long as it doesn't cause any reloading problems, I'll just leave it alone.
Thank you for your input
Old February 1, 2014, 03:15 PM   #6
seastrike

I've owned mine (full size) for ten months and about 4,000 rounds.
Love the gun.
No dents.
Extractor needs tuning on yours if it's doing it with all loads?
It comes with a heavy recoil spring. I lightened mine up soon after purchase.
Old February 2, 2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Sevens

The ejector can be altered to throw them a bit differently, but that's -FAR- out of my area of knowledge.

Handloading, however, is something I'm quite comfortable doing. Almost no degree of case mouth dent is EVER going to matter for the purpose of reloading, unless it's to the point where the brass is literally creased or the case mouth edge is torn or burred up.

A lot of scattered .45 brass has dings and flat spots on the case mouth... the normal reloading process corrects it with absolutely no memory or evidence of it.

Quite simply, it's absolutely a non-issue. If you could post a picture of the WORST examples from your pistol, we could confirm.
Old February 2, 2014, 10:00 PM   #8
DennRN

Having had some issues with two separate 1911s in extracting/ejecting, I know how annoying it can be. Dinged brass usually means that at some point the slide is closing on the spent brass, but you said that your SR performs reliably so barring that the only other thing I can see dinging you brass like that is the ejector throwing your brass 90 degrees to the right and bouncing it off the lower lip of the ejection port. Easy way to check for this is to look at the inside rim of the port and see if you have any brass transfer. If this is the happening your brass will likely be flung either at your face or over your head.
I would get it corrected if it were my pistol and it was closing on brass or throwing it at or over my head, just in case I ever had to use it to defend myself. I'd want to know it won't choke on half ejected brass or blind me with a case to the eye.
Short of tuning the ejector pin angle or extractor tension (both of which can be done at home with minimal tools), I would try testing different loads to see if it occurs across different bullet weights and charges.
Old February 3, 2014, 05:04 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

Ditto "tune ejector and/or extractor".
Old February 4, 2014, 06:48 AM   #10
MJFlores

Nothing to worry about... sizer dies are for dented brass. They bring everything back to size.
Old February 4, 2014, 07:47 AM   #11
Skitt

I tuned the extractor and that cured it. Thanks everyone for the great input