The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 13, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
twins

Portable climbing deer stand recommendations?

I'm a novice when it comes to deer stand. Please recommend a good portable climbing deer stand and any associated equipment needed with it. Thanks for any assistance.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2
EMN89

lone wolf

I have not used many climbing tree stands I have you some older styles are absolutely horrendous to use the best climbing treestand I have ever used is a lone wolf. They are very light and easy to use. that is my opinion but I have a very limited experience with climbing tree stands.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:27 AM   #3
eldermike

Porta-climb. I have both the bow seat and the rifle seats for mine.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Doyle

Mike brings up a good point. Very few stands are equally suited to both gun and bow. With most stands, you need to pick one or the other. You can shoot a gun out of a bow stand but not vice versa - you'll just be less comfortable sitting in a bow stand.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting. I didn't know there was such a thing as a "bow stand" versus a "gun stand".

I've hunted with several climbers and have friends/family with several others. We've all shot both gun and bow from all of them.

As far as I'm concerned, the answer to the climbing stand question is Lone Wolf.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I too have in the past used a Lone Wolf climbing deer stand. There is something about them portable climbing stands that just doesn't sit right with me all that well. The older one gets. The less likely one likes to us them contraptions I think.Tipping the scales at 252 I had to be careful with my choice of a climbing deer stand back then. "Us big fellers don't bounce well." Actually my climber has been sitting out in my lawn shed unused for probably 10 years at least. Oh don't get me wrong they all do what there suppose to do. But you have to be very cautious when using any of them. As far as my choice. There is no choice. By far and away the Lone Wolf for its strength and since it's now being built back in America again. That too.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
eldermike

I have spent many a day in a climber stand. The Cadillac porta-climb is a great stand. The rifle seat is pretty much impossible to fall out of but it’s equally impossible to bow hunt from. They make a replacement top for bow hunters so you don’t have to buy two stands. Not sure what the weight limits on stands are these days. I did get up to 245lbs not to may years ago and that did limit my climbing somewhat. But I am back in the 180’s now and even at 63 I can get up a tree in a few minutes and feel totally safe. It might just be me but I don’t have a secure feeling hunting until I am settled in my stand way up in a tree. I am thinking that most people don’t shoot deer out of trees or at least they know that deer don’t climb trees.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
I didn't know there was such a thing as a "bow stand" versus a "gun stand".
Brian, the bow stands I'm talking about have no arm rests, no bar across the front, or anything else that would get in the way of drawing and releasing. The seats on them are also more like a straight-back chair as opposed to the "lazy boy" type recliner chair than makes gun hunting more comfortable (i.e going from a seated postion to a standing position is easy and quiet).
Old February 13, 2013, 01:32 PM   #9
globemaster3

I have used Summit climbers before, and found them comfortable and the cable system easy to adjust.

I have also used Ol Man climbers, and liked how they folded flat for easy carry. The mesh seat was comfortable.

I also own a Timbertall that I bought when stationed in NJ. Very light.

As for accessories, make sure you have a rope or reel to bring up your equipment; a good body harness in case you fall or the stand cuts out on you; and an equipment hook (or hooks) to hang things like binos, rangefinder, rattling horns, camelback, etc.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
YARDDOG(1)

The (OLD) Warren & Sweat__Spelling Facing tree is what I would call a Rifel man tree stand...; )
Y/D
Old February 13, 2013, 02:11 PM   #11
BJE80

Summit climbers have always treated me good for both gun and bow.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Jack O'Conner

I've had very good luck and feel safe in my API Grandslam. Weight is not heavy for me; I often walk in approx 2 miles to my hunting site.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; February 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:31 PM   #13
TheNatureBoy

I have a 'Ole Man portable tree stand. I feel like I'm sitting on cotton when I use it.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:18 PM   #14
twins

Thanks all for your recommendations. Looks like the Lone Wolf product line fits what I'm looking for.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:34 PM   #15
souther33

I love my summit stand. I have the viper it is amazing very comfortable and can have many attachment like rifle rest and foot rest. you can also get one used so you don't have to buy a new one
Old February 14, 2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

One of the best features of the Lone Wolf is that it folds almost completely flat. Don't underestimate the advantage of that. Not only does it not stick way out behind, causing maneuverability issues but being flat also GREATLY reduces the leverage that its weight has pulling down on your back. It's really a radical difference, even compared to other stands of similar weight.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:58 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Another mention of FALL GEAR!!! Don't even try out your new climber in your yard with out HIGH QUALITY FALL GEAR YOU ARE WILLING TO BET YOUR LIFE ON!!! Because everytime you climb you are doing exactly that...

Brent
Old February 14, 2013, 11:16 PM   #18
shootniron

Tom Cat...best I have ever used.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:30 PM   #19
lefteye

I have and use 20 portable tree stands (mostly bow hunting). Lone Wolf is the clearly the best. Very light weight, very quiet, very easy to use, very comfortable, very safe and very expensive.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:28 PM   #20
Cowboy_mo

+100 for Hogdogs!!!

Don't leave the ground without it!!!

I have used a Summit for several years for both bow and gun hunting. Mine has the wrap around bar on top which allows you to "sit down" and climb. This makes the climbing much easier.

Since I was taught to stand up and shoot the bow from any stand, the bar doesn't interfere with shooting the bow.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:16 PM   #21
bswiv

""One of the best features of the Lone Wolf is that it folds almost completely flat. Don't underestimate the advantage of that. Not only does it not stick way out behind, causing maneuverability issues but being flat also GREATLY reduces the leverage that its weight has pulling down on your back. It's really a radical difference, even compared to other stands of similar weight.""

What Brian said right there.......pay attention to it.

I'm not very big so things like that get noticed. The Summit's are strong and stable but heavy, Lone Wolf expensive.....but nice.

Currently using a Timber Tall.......very light, not as stable as the Summit.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
Another mention of FALL GEAR!!! Don't even try out your new climber in your yard with out HIGH QUALITY FALL GEAR YOU ARE WILLING TO BET YOUR LIFE ON!!! Because everytime you climb you are doing exactly that...
Yes, and speaking of fall gear... the one thing I DON'T like about Lone Wolf is their restrain system. The part that you attach to the tree is great, really nice, I use it exclusively, but the body harness is just about the worst thing I've ever seen. When I first got it, I kept using the harness from my old Guerrilla stand and I din't even like that one. I finally bought a Hunter's Safety System vest and it is MUCH better. Still not perfect, but light-years ahead of whatever that thing is that Lone Wolf provides.

As for price, yeah, it's a good chunk of change but I paid around $150 for a Guerrilla stand and it was starting to rust out by the 3rd season. The Lone Wolf is going on it's 4th season and essentially looks brand new, being Aluminium, it won't rust, ever. New straps every... 5 years or something... and you're good. $350 and worth every last penny.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:36 PM   #23
NUKE HUNTER

the older i get the more i like my summit viper.i have had it for it 10 years( i think) of worry free comfort in climing and sitting.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:02 AM   #24
bamaranger

try it

Climbers have come a long way from when I bought my first one. And as a rabid bow hunter living in a state with over 100 day season, and living next to about 30,000+ ( I think) acres of public hunting land, I have climbed a BUNCH of trees.

REad what you can, talk to alot of guys, don't get in a hurry, and if at all possible, climb some trees with a few (what are pals for) to get a feel.

I asked for and recieved a really nice, new Summit as a "bow stand" as a gift. LIght, portable, easy to shoot from, but I cannot climb with it as I'd like and it sets mostly unused in the shed as I continue to use an old favorite.

Great stand but we are not a match.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:08 PM   #25
twins

Two more questions:

1) Could someone comment about seat climbing vs. hand climbing stands? Any big benefits of one over the other? Or is it just a preference?

2) I only plan to use the portable stand 3 days max per season so is the included body harness that comes with most stands acceptable - safety and comfort wise? Or should I invest in something better?

Thanks.