The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 12, 2011, 01:54 AM   #1
amcjav74

1909 Argentine Mauser Bolt Jam?

I have a 1909 Argentine Mauser #C 1453. The rifle is all original. While handling I removed the bolt. I believe I removed the bolt incorrectly because I am unable to reinsert it into the rifle (The end of the bolt contacts the stock) and the disassemble pin on the bolt will not work. I believe the safety is not in the correct position. Any ideas or thoughts? I cannot figure out exactly what happened. Prior to removing the bolt the gun worked perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSPX0003.jpg (153.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0007.jpg (165.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0008.jpg (108.5 KB, 35 views)
Old December 12, 2011, 02:32 AM   #2
TripHlx

I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like you managed to decock the bolt after or during removal. Usually if you just pull and twist (it will be stiff) the end of the bolt, just behind the bolt handle, you can recock it to align the lugs to properly enter the action.
Old December 12, 2011, 02:58 AM   #3
amcjav74

Thanks!!! That worked. It was incredibly stiff but I got it to move into the correct position.
Old December 12, 2011, 03:04 AM   #4
TripHlx

No problem, similar thing has happened to me a few times, I know how irritating it can be.