The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 10, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Hardcase

Gun Control Laws and Their Effect On Manufacturing

While it sounds like the title of a research paper, it's really the subject of an article in the New York Times (!) regarding the advantages that certain states have been pitching to firearms manufacturers on why they should leave the northeast and midwest.

The article mentions the bizarre disconnect between both Massachusetts' and New York's rather chilling legal environment and the states' desire to maintain or increase gun production.

It also points out some new state legislation that is bound to wind up in the courts regarding whether or not the federal government can control the manufacture and sales of firearms wholly within a single state.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/us/10guns.html
Old August 10, 2011, 02:49 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

How very interesting,,,

I have always been amused at the irony of Massachusetts being the home state to the Smith & Wesson manufacturing facilities.

In my best Mr. Rogers voice,,,
Can you spell hypocrisy?

I can understand why a large facility like S&W, Marlin, Mossberg, etc,,,
Wouldn't want to undergo the expense of relocating,,,
But I applaud the smaller companies who move.

Deny the gun-grabbers your tax money,,,
Vote with your moving van.

I get a bit high-horsey on this topic,,,
I lived happily in Northern California from 1975 to 1996,,,
I moved back to my home state of Oklahoma because of the bad gun laws in California.

I miss the Sierra Mountains and the Pacific Ocean very much,,,
But I would miss the right to own and carry a handgun (of my choosing) even more.

I read the name of my state in that article,,,
I haven't heard a thing about this in any local news,,,
But if a gun manufacturer were to move it's operation to OkieLand,,,
I believe I would have to buy one of their products just to help finance the move.

Yeppers,,,
Even if it were Hi-Point!

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 10, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
KyJim

I can certainly understand why SW and Colt stay where they are. Hard to move all the factory equipment and skilled employees. I find it harder to understand why some other companies are there. Kahr, for example, is in Massachusetts. It is a relatively young company which located in a state unfriendly to guns. I'm sure there was a reason, but you have wonder what it was.
Old August 10, 2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

The article mentions incentives being given to S&W. Money talks.

So do unions. Colt's a UAW shop. Their employees went on strike a couple of times over the last couple of decades, resulting in some sketchy runs of product. Those guys aren't going to support moving the company operations to a right-to-work state one bit.
Old August 10, 2011, 08:57 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

They might move, but the US Labor Relations Board will file suit against them on behalf of the unions. That's what's happening with Boeing right now, they opened a new factory in the South, the unions out here got the USLRB in their lap and it's expected to cost Boeing at least $20 million just to defend. It's a billion dollar plant employing thousands, if they can truck with that they'll truck with a much smaller firearms manufacturer.
Old August 10, 2011, 11:34 PM   #6
BarryLee

I wonder how much the union connection plays into it. If those were non-union Plants would the Politicians in those particular States be as supportive?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 10, 2011, 11:44 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I assure all ya'll that these manufacturing plants are very welcome down here in the south... Florida and alabama both have some sweet offers for companies in union locations to move on down... we don't turn up our noses at $10per hour starting wage...

Bring on the jobs!
Brent
Old August 10, 2011, 11:51 PM   #8
BarryLee

Quote:
I assure all ya'll that these manufacturing plants are very welcome down here in the south... Florida and alabama
Nothing personal neighbor, but Georgia would also love to have these folks. Right to work state, low cost of living, concealed and open carry, mountains, ocean, swamp, dang we got it all. Y’all come.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 11, 2011, 12:16 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know Ga. bids for companies too... I just wasn't sure what sorts of "gravy" Ga. is offering...

Right now Fla. is kickin' in some serious bank like paying for road way upgrades into the plant as well as long term tax breaks and such.

But yeah... we southerners are inviting these companies to sit down, relax and lick their wounds inflicted by the unions... all while drinkin' a glass of some fine sweet tea!

Brent
Old August 11, 2011, 01:11 AM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
But yeah... we southerners are inviting these companies to sit down, relax and lick their wounds inflicted by the unions... all while drinkin' a glass of some fine sweet tea!
See, that's my biggest gripe with Georgia: that swill you call "tea." It's tea, not sugared water! You should be able to drink it without feeling like you're going into glucose shock. It's wretched, I tell you.

Perhaps that's why we don't see gun companies moving down here. That, or the union thing...
Old August 11, 2011, 01:22 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Tom, You crack me UP!!! Yeah in some places or even just batch to batch the sweetness can be excessive for me and if so I ask for a refill of unsweet every other glass or so to keep it where I like it...

I was gonna suggest the makers come on down, prop up their feet and sip a glass of "unaged corn liquor" but we don't suggest mixin' alcohol and guns nor breaking them pesky federal tax laws on TFL...
Brent
Old August 11, 2011, 02:07 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Nothing personal neighbor, but Georgia would also love to have these folks. Right to work state, low cost of living, concealed and open carry, mountains, ocean, swamp, dang we got it all. Y’all come.
Mountains? I remember seeing some lumpy hills, when I took a "mountain" biking trip through Georgia ...

Tom... You just haven't any real Sweet Tea.

Quote:
I assure all ya'll that these manufacturing plants are very welcome down here in the south... Florida and alabama both have some sweet offers for companies in union locations to move on down
The problem with Florida (and other parts of the Gulf Coast) is the unpredictable potential for lost revenue, due to flooding, tropical storms, and hurricanes. Even if the plant doesn't officially shut down, many of the employees are going to skedaddle, or have issues to address.

If I was a large manufacturer, looking to get away from the ridiculous unions... I wouldn't want to go to Florida, either. Even a place like Florala (FL side), Chattahoochee, or Jasper still has its risks.