The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 7, 2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Evergreen

Open Carry Shotgun in Glacier NP

Next week I am travelling up to Glacier NP and I have become a bit confused about the gun regulations and the enforcement of them. I already know I can conceal a handgun with me, but what I would like to know if it is possible to open carry, or even better, conceal a 12/10ga shotgun with me. Maybe I am paranoid, but I will be hiking alone and I just read a couple days ago a single male hiker was mauled by a grizzly bear who got surprised on a trail. Anyhow, stories like this make me all the more worried.

Now, I keep hearing how I can bring a concealed weapon with me, but I am yet to hear anyone talk about bringing a shotgun or rifle with them to the park. I am assuming concealing any long gun would be prohibited anywhere in Montana, so I am sure that is not possible. However, I have no problem attaching a shotgun to my hiking pack so it doesn't stick out too much and having it accessible in case I get in an unfortunate, but rare confrontation with a ravaging grizzly bear, such as the unfortunate solo hiker in the Many Glacier area of Glacier NP.

I have multiple fears about the gun regulations or the lifting of them. My first fear is that if I open carry a shotgun, that whether or not it is legal on paper, the rangers will stop me, harass me and even throw me out of the park, thus ruining my entire vacation. Even if I could go to court later and dismiss what ever false charge they put up against me, they would have ruined it. I don't want to risk that. My second fear is obviously reaction from all the gun-hating liberal/pseudo-conservatives I may encounter in the park. Perhaps, they can invoke through panic the same response. You know the whole , "Man with Gun" ordeal.

Anyway, I would prefer to have a shotgun loaded with 10ga slugs and was even thinking of going to Bi-Mart to buy a semi auto shotgun for the trip, because I don't own any shotgun, except very bulky Saiga 12. However, I don't want to waste my money on a shotgun if I cannot bring it with me to the National Park, where I will be spending most my time and needing it the most.

If it is true that Montana gun laws will be enforced and cannot be manipulated in the park, and since open carry of long guns is allowed in Montana, I would think "on paper" that would mean I can bring loaded long guns with me to Glacier NP. The question is, will the rangers take the law in their own hands and throw me out of the park or even worse try to press criminal charges against me. Perhaps, they can even make up false charges, saying I was threatening wildlife or people.. Who knows.

I appreciate anyone who can give me some detailed and reliable information on this issue. I'm afraid to call the Ranger station in Glacier NP as I don't know if they will give me a reliable answer or one fueled by their own personal sentiments about guns in the park.
Old August 7, 2011, 08:46 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Call the Glacier NP Superintendent's Office, they'll give you the legal answer.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3
youngunz4life

legal CCW in glacier not a problem in the least but definately contact them about the shotgun and w/any questions to be sure

-get to the point so as to avoid the 'one phonecall' where you're told bears aren't a threat, other opinions, etc
Old August 7, 2011, 09:57 PM   #4
NJgunowner

woops wrong post haha.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:58 PM   #5
oneounceload

Use bear spray for bears
Old August 7, 2011, 11:55 PM   #6
secret_agent_man

I would not bo to Glacier Natl. Park anything less than a 12 gauge loaded with slugs. Chuck the Rangers, Bobo.