The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 6, 2011, 06:48 AM   #1
postmaster

Selling my walther to out of state buyer

I bought a Walther ppk/s at a yard sale {true} I guy in Indiana wants to buy it. I live in Tennessee. In Tennessee it's common to buy and sell without government involvement. We were going to meet in Indiana and do the deal. He is now worried we are breaking the law. Maybe we are. I don't know.

Can I ship it myself to his FFL dealer? I don't know who the gun is registered to. I don't think it had ever been fired. Probably just sat in someone's closet for 60 years. I don't even know the people who sold it to me.

What should I do?
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...NURHIN2031.jpg
Old August 6, 2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Eghad

I know that Indiana residents can buy long guns out of state but a handgun has to go through an FFL. There may be some legal issues with you transporting a firearm in your car in Indiana without a permit.

NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2011, 07:04 AM   #3
postmaster

I used to live in Indiana and had a carry permit. However it is now expired and I hold a Tennessee card. Seems odd a law abiding citizen can't just sell your gun.

Yeah I know the arguement so no need to go there lol.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:05 AM   #4
JimPage

To sell a pistol to an out of state person you must transfer the gun through FFLs. You take it to your dealer and have him send it to the buyer's dealer. Your dealer needs a copy of the buyer's dealer's FFL. Federal Law.
Don't blame me, I didn't make the law. I just know it.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:10 AM   #5
postmaster

thanks for the post. Guess I best find one.
Old August 6, 2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Don H

There is no federal law requiring one to use a FFL to ship a firearm. Some states have such a requirement (I don't believe either Tenn or Indiana do) and some FFLs have a policy that they will not accept firearms from anyone other than another dealer.

The BATF FAQ dealing with these matters is found here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Be aware that the FAQ is a brief summary of complex laws and some of the answers are overly simplified.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:41 PM   #7
brickeyee

Quote:
I bought a Walther ppk/s at a yard sale {true} I guy in Indiana wants to buy it. I live in Tennessee. In Tennessee it's common to buy and sell without government involvement. We were going to meet in Indiana and do the deal. He is now worried we are breaking the law. Maybe we are. I don't know.

ALL sales across state lines require at least one FFL.

The FFL can be in either state for a long gun, but MUST be in the buyer's state for a handgun.

It does not matter if you are living on opposite sides of the street that is also a state line.

A private individual cannot sell ANY firearm to a non-resident of his state.