The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 2, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

ATF to modify pistol-to-rifle rule to better meet Thompson Centerfire

According to the blog at Prince Law Offices, today Deputy Chief Steve Albro stated that ruling 2011-4 would modify the existing rule regarding pistols that can be converted to rifles.

Under the new ruling, a pistol could be converted to a rifle and back again without having to register the firearm as an SBR. However, the opposite of that will still be forbidden (a firearm that starts out as a rifle can never be a pistol without being registered as an SBR). The ruling has not been officially released yet, so I guess we will wait and see.

As rulings go, it maintains the total nonsensical nature of most firearms laws; but at least it is a step in the direction of the holding in the Thompson Centerfire Supreme Court case. Previously the ATF had taken a very narrow view of the holding in that case by saying it only applied to that specific firearm model (and not even other Thompson Centerfire products). I guess with Chicago getting smacked down, the ATF decided that there wasn't much to gain by deliberately thumbing their nose at the Supreme Court.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Jim March

Huh. Cool. I predicted something like this - that if challenged, the restriction on this rule to just the Center would fail hard.

So when this kicks in, the sales of, fr'instance, AR-based pistols will go through the roof. People will be able to mix'n'match 'em to rifle spec and back at will, playing "tinkertoy parts".

And remember, there's another odd twist in the mix: somebody figured out you can have a critter with no shoulder stock, overall length of at least 26inch, no minimum barrel length and a forward pistol grip. Oddball for sure, but, would this bizarre thing fit into the mix, as one of the options you could take it to starting with a normal pistol base?

I predict some damned interesting things from some of the manufacturers.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Doyle

That still isn't going to solve the T/C problem because they put absolutely no identifier on their frames saying whether they are being sold as a rifle or a pistol - not to mention the frames that are sold totally bare (yes, they still sell bare frames with no stocks or grips at all).

You could easily buy a used frame and have absolutely no idea how it started out life.
Old August 2, 2011, 06:52 PM   #4
teeroux

Quote:
You could easily buy a used frame and have absolutely no idea how it started out life.
I'm pretty derned sure that Tompson Center along with every other manufacture is required to record the serial numbered reciever as either pistol or a rifle when manufactured. Whomever you buy it from should inform you of such.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:50 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
teeroux
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty derned sure that Tompson Center along with every other manufacture is required to record the serial numbered reciever as either pistol or a rifle when manufactured. Whomever you buy it from should inform you of such.
ATF considers frames, receivers and AR lowers as "Other firearms"....a category of firearms that are neither handguns or long guns. A receiver or frame only becomes a long gun when a barrel AND shoulder stock is attached.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by dogtown tom; August 2, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Just out of curiosity: how many Contenders have ever been used to commit crimes?
Old August 3, 2011, 02:39 PM   #7
highvel

Yep, ol Billy Bad Butt was shot dead at the scene of the robbery attempt when he got his Super 14 hung up in his shorts!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old August 3, 2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Hardcase

Quote:
Just out of curiosity: how many Contenders have ever been used to commit crimes?
Now don't you go clouding the issue with facts, mister!
Old August 3, 2011, 03:27 PM   #9
B. Lahey

Quote:
I know of one. A weird choice, but he probably just used what he had.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:26 PM   #10
chasep255

So does this mean I could now put a stock on an AR pistol and have it no be considered an SBR?
Old August 3, 2011, 04:51 PM   #11
Jim March

To make it a rifle you have to meet ALL the specs: stock, 16" barrel, 26" overall.

You can do that now. What will be new is the ability to go back to pistol-spec.

You still won't be able to stop in the middle in an SBR configuration.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

By the way, the ruling has been released and is available here:
ATF Ruling 2011-4