The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 1, 2011, 01:43 PM   #26
grey sky

My Bank

Went to my bank last month. I noticed a, no guns, added to the no dark glasses or hats sign. As I had buisness with the manager. I asked when the addition was made. He said it had been four months. I mentioned if I had seen it earlyer I would have closed my account by then. He said they realy just don't want people to be waiving their guns around. I told him mine stayed in my pocket for the most part, but I still had some considering to do.
Went back last week the sign is gone. Went today, still gone. Wonder if my statment had an impact?
Old August 1, 2011, 01:51 PM   #27
zukiphile

Quote:
I noticed a, no guns, added to the no dark glasses or hats sign.
How about a no brown shoes with blue suit sign? A no spandex on women over 25 sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppkman
Does anyone know of an incident where CC actually led to an arrest for trespassing? If you're not printing, no worries, and if you're made and notified, you are very likely to be simply asked to leave.
About ten years ago, a fellow I knew went to his usual bank to have some part of his CCW application notarized. The girl at the desk didn't like guns, and gave him a lecture about it. The next time he came in, she called the police. They searched his truck without a warrant.

He was pushed around a bit, then taken into lock up. He was advised by detectives what he should confess to because they would hate to see his truck damaged. They dictated his confession.

At trial, the police testimony about how he came to be arrested didn't match the defendant's. The bank's tape of the event would have cleared the matter up, except that just as two POs approached the man in line, the tape went blank for ten minutes.

He was acquitted of all charges. His fees were $25,000.

That is an atypical experience, but I wouldn't do a lot of gratuitous envelop pushing in a bank.

Last edited by zukiphile; August 2, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:05 PM   #28
CCW.357

There is local restaraunt that I go to here and they have a sign " No Concealed Carry" on premise. Its 12 feet inside the door, so you are already in violation of the policy. ????

Last edited by CCW.357; August 1, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:43 PM   #29
Mr Dish

Seems to me that it would be the insurance companies that are pushing the gun free zones, not the actual employees. Of course they don't want to lose business because of it so they may try to "hide" the signs, but if the shtf they can always say "I told you not to bring a gun in here".

Yes...they do want it both ways.
Old August 1, 2011, 03:07 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

Law review articles indicate that the majority legal opinion is that concealed carriers represent some risk to the store or business. Carrying employees even more.

The signs cover them and the no employee carry policy covers them if the concealed carrier does something bad or the employee does something bad.

Now before you say that you can sue them for not allowing to carry, I couldn't find any literature suggesting that and our own progun legal guys think that wouldn't fly in court.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:49 PM   #31
egor20

Quote:
Now before you say that you can sue them for not allowing to carry, I couldn't find any literature suggesting that and our own progun legal guys think that wouldn't fly in court.
I wouldn't sue them, I just informed NFCU that I will be taking my business elsewhere, including the 1.3 M loan for the new horse barn. Hit them in the pocket if you wish to make a statement.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old August 1, 2011, 06:03 PM   #32
BGutzman

I respect the signs (legal or otherwise) not permitting guns, I also take my business elsewhere.
Old August 1, 2011, 07:50 PM   #33
kraigwy

I believe in the Constitutional Right to Carry Arms.

I also believe in the right not to carry arms. I believe a private business has the right to forbid firearms just like they have the right to put up 'NO SHOES, NO SHIRT, NO SERVICE"

However, capatilism being what it is, we have the right to chose where we shop or eat.

I don't believe the goverment has the right to force someone to allow barefoot w/out shirts, or someone to carry againste the wishes of a private business.

I would think that unless the law states its illegal, carrying a firearm in a business that forbids them leaves one open to a "tresspass charge" if told to leave because you have a firearm.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 2, 2011, 09:05 AM   #34
Terminus009

Heh.....

I've never seen such a sign! I wonder why? Oh wait! I know! Its 'cuz I live in Illinois and my gun is chained to my house. Silly me.
----- In Justice Robert H. Jackson's memorable words, "If there is any fixed star in our constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."
Old August 2, 2011, 01:00 PM   #35
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Law review articles indicate that the majority legal opinion is that concealed carriers represent some risk to the store or business. Carrying employees even more.
It's also a human resources thing. Beginning in the late 1980's, the corporate world took the view that an armed employee was a simmering crock pot of seething rage, just waiting for a trigger to set him off. I've seen memos and policies outlining how one could identify a potentially violent employee by an interest in guns.

In some cases, businesses were convinced that allowing customers to carry could also result in bloodshed and blowback for the company. We know that's incorrect. Peggy at the corporate office doesn't.

Generally, if a place has a "no guns" sign, I avoid it. It's their property, and their choice. I've heard plenty of folks scream, "concealed means CONCEALED" and "what they don't know won't hurt 'em," but I find that incredibly rude. Right or not, property owners have some right to determine what behavior they want to allow on the premises.
Old August 2, 2011, 01:26 PM   #36
Stressfire

Quote:
There is local restaraunt that I go to here and they have a sign " No Concealed Carry" on premise. Its 12 feet inside the door, so you are already in violation of the policy.
So does that mean open carry is OK? Or are they indicating that they would like you to, 12 feet inside the door, remove your weapon from concealment and display it?

Anyways, in many states the signs are simply the owner's wishes and for violating, you will be asked to leave. In Ohio, you don't get that chance, if you ignore the sign and get caught you, at the least, will be charged with misdemeanor improper carry or something like that.

IMO, the signs are pointless, but that's fine because its pointless to me to spend my money there. Does anyone donate money to religions they don't belong to?
Old August 2, 2011, 02:03 PM   #37
8shot357

First, I CCW.( Las Vegas)

That's it, it's a none issue.

I fact, it never comes to mind 98.334487% of the time.

FYI, I never open carry until my belt buckle comes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun Naa Belt buckle.jpg (67.3 KB, 16 views)