The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 27, 2011, 02:12 PM   #51
Mr Dish

You know what confuses me the most? When we all applied for the CCW, we were checked out thru various Law Enforcment agencies to make sure we were law abiding citizens without any criminal history whatsoever. So it stands to reason that we should be the first to be trusted (over the unscrutinized at least). If we don't have a history of flying off the handle, have never commited a felony, have never hurt anyone, then what would make our own government distrust our legally licensed possession of a legal firearm anywhere?

Oh, wait...I forgot...we are discussing the US government right?
My Bad....

...still trying to reember the last time I had any business in a Federal Building. Naval Discharge in 86 I think.
Old July 27, 2011, 03:46 PM   #52
brickeyee

Quote:
I don't believe anyone has to risk arrest by walking into a federal building with an otherwise legal weapon. A suit can be filed to have the policy changed and signs removed, on grounds that personal protection is justified.
Maybe.

You will have to establish standing to pursue action in court.
Showing actual harm is a hard bar to pass.

There are cases were the consequences of a violation are so significant you may get a court to allow things to proceed, but it is NOT an easy battle.

Things like the recent 2nd amendment cases require very carefully chosen plaintiffs who can demonstrate some level of harm from the existing law.

Theoretical harm does not sway courts very far, as in "I could get robbed."