The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Headgear

More Accuracy/Case Prep

I'm looking to tweak a little more accuracy out of my loads and am looking into case prep equipment. I read this article about checking for bullet run-out and prepping cases to minimize it. http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....t-run-out.html If you don't feel like reading all of it, it suggests an RCBS Case Master Gauge, Trim Pro three way cutter and I would probably use the Trim Pro power case trimer.

I like the idea of the tree way cutter getting the mouth square, chamfered and deburred uniformly. Is this IYO, the best equipment and procedure for the job?

If it matters, I'm reloading for a CZ550 varmint in 308 Win, using new Win brass which was shot once to fire form, neck sized (need the Case Master Gauge to check the run-out), 168 BTHP MK with IMR4064. The primer pockets and flash holes have been beburred. I bought the Win brass before getting interested in tweaking the loads this much. Next time I will get Lapua brass. I don't want to do the same thing with the case prep and find out after I spent a good amount of money that I would have been better off with something else. But, Boy Howdy, Isn't that the way it goes.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!
Old April 27, 2010, 07:03 AM   #2
steve4102

I use the 3-way cutters to trim most of my brass. It's fast and works well, don't know if it affects "run out" though, never heard that one.

The RCBS gauge uses "V blocks" to hold the case when checking runout. I like the Sinclair gauge which runs on ball bearings.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/...tricity-Gauges

I check runout on all my rifle ammo. I have tested my rifles and have found that excessive runout affects accuracy in some and not so much in others. My M 70 6.5x55 likes the bullets straight, while my CZ 550 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 could care less about being straight.

You may find your CZ shoots better with straight ammo, you may find that it shoots the same crooked or straight, then again you may find that you shoot better knowing that your ammo is straight.
Old April 27, 2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Headgear

Thanks for the heads up on the Sinclair Gauge. I'm looking into it. The roller bearings make sense.

That article suggests that a case that is not trimmed square could allow the bullet to start into and end up seated crooked in the case, "run-out". Seems a little iffy but I would like to try everything I can to have the most accurate rounds possible. Of couse then I also need to tweak the guy pulling the trigger. I'm working on that as well.

Thanks!
Old April 27, 2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Dave P

While you are drooling in the Sinclair catalog, look for the Wilson case trimmer . Great little precision machine to trim case length and square case heads.

And think about a outside neck trimmer to make the thickness consistent (not normally worth your time, but ...).
Old April 27, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5
ragwd

sorry, wrong thread

Last edited by ragwd; April 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old April 27, 2010, 01:25 PM   #6
L Puckett

++1

for the Sinclair Concentricity tool and the Wilson trimmer. Some of the best tooling at a reasonable price.

LP