The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2014, 06:42 AM   #1
A pause for the COZ

CSB-1 Shot gun/ Pistol powder.

CSB-1 Shot gun/ Pistol powder. Any one else try this yet?
Since I was getting down to the nitty Gritty of my pistol powder.

I ordered 10 pounds from Hi-Tech ammo. price was not what i would consider cheap. But cheaper than buying powder on Gun Broker. $100 for a 5 pound jug.

It was advertised with the heading of " Use Universal data"
I have tried it in my 38 special loads and a 9mm auto load.
Performance I would say is about on a par with my Universal loadings.
Seems pretty clean.
Although has a higher load density and certainly is not Universal made by Hodgson.

I suspect that this is a new manufacture powder by RIO. Same company that makes the RIO shot shells.

Here is CSB-1 compared to Universal.

Universal:

CSB-1:

Old July 30, 2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Sarge

Interesting- thank you.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:23 AM   #3
8emem

I just received 2 5-lb jugs of CSB-1 from Hi-Tech. The label says "flake powder for pistol & shotgun." A data sheet is included with a few loads for 9mm, .357, 40 S&W, .45 ACP and .44 Mag. The data is identical to the Lee 2nd edition loadbook for Universal.
Old August 5, 2014, 10:39 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Been seeing this at gun shows around the area, and wasn't sure. The more I read, the more I think I'll buy some if I see it at a show this weekend. If not, I'm not that far from Hi-Tech so I wouldn't have shipping, and hazmat charges if I just go pick it up.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 5, 2014, 10:49 PM   #5
skizzums

that's a very fair price for powder these days, I will def grab some if I see it. is this a new manufacturer? that would be great if we had some new powder companies in the market
Old August 5, 2014, 11:10 PM   #6
mannyCA

From what I gather from your thread, I'd use universal clays data and work my loads up.
Old August 6, 2014, 01:39 AM   #7
luis7

Hi at all.
I´m Luis from España.
I´m surpresed that this powder can buy there.
It´s a Maxxan (i think) shot gun powder, but we use in hand gun too with a good performance.
I don´t know that i can use universal reload table with it.
We use put around 4 to 5 gn for 9mm ctg., and it isn´t good performance with low (2.5 gn) charge wc 38 sp because have a big shell.
This powder need to be compressed to shot well.
We use it because is easy to buy and "cheap" but need to pay around 20$ a pound.
For 9mm ctg is very very good, I´m using it for around six years and I´m very happy with it using 3.7 gm, to 125 bullet lead (H&G 275 mold), tula primers, fiocchi shell and 28.20 mm LTC. I have a S&W 952-1 in 5".
Greetings from ESpaña
Old August 6, 2014, 06:53 AM   #8
Sarge

Welcome Luis and thank you for the information.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Sevens

Also a "hello" to Luis, and I will tell you right now that I'm quite envious of your fine pistol!

I am curious about your charge weight...
Is it 3.7 grains? That seems a but low to me as I have used a stiffer charge under commercially cast 125gr LRN bullets in 9mm. I suppose I am simply curious about how you worked to that charge weight and if you have chronographed that load and measured it's velocity.

Perhaps I should try that myself and see if it operates my 9mm handguns.

I do agree with you that I have not had good luck with Universal powder in .38 Special loads and agree that it prefers to be compressed to work well, and that simply isn't going to happen in .38 Special brass.

My "go to" 9mm load for 124gr plated or jacketed 9mm using Hodgdon Universal is 4.3 grains. It's a terrific load and I've made many thousands of them.
Old October 3, 2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Travelin' Man

I got in 30 pounds of this powder two weeks ago and began working up loads for it right away for .45 ACP. While the provided data sheet is just like Universal, the load density tends to be more like Unique, except somewhat cleaner burning. I've had excellent results so far and I'm confident enough that I loaded up 2000 rounds over last weekend on my Dillon XL650.

$22 per pound (when purchased in bulk and accounting for the HAZMAT charge) is still cheap these days and is definitely still much cheaper than buying factory loads.
Old October 4, 2014, 10:58 AM   #11
jim8115

I obtained some NR-485 from NATMIL a while back, I believe it is CSB-1 . I have used it in 38, 9mm and 40. I did notice that in the 38 , I needed to use a firmer crimp than normal, but after that the results were good.
Old March 30, 2015, 12:21 PM   #12
bangerjim

CSB-1 vs ETR7?

On another forum, several have claimed (not proven yet) this CSB-1 powder is also ETR7 from Expansion Industries back in VA. They have it in stock.

I have some ETR7 and have been loading it with TiteGroup and Universal data and it preforms very well. Very clean! Reminds me of TrailBoss without the hole!

bangerjim