The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 19, 2009, 05:39 PM   #1
emmasis

Painting a barrel

I just got a barrel put on my SAR-* and it is stainless.
Does anyone know what kind of paint to use?
I have painted cars so I am not worried about how, just need to know the paint they use.
Thanks,
Terrance

BTW they wanted to charge me $250.00 to paint it
Old March 19, 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

There are a number of paints made specifically for guns that usually work better than auto paints.

Brownell's sell "Aluma-Hyde II" paint in spray cans that is an air-curing epoxy. This stuff is tough and has a great reputation:
Doesn't require any baking, just apply and allow it to harden.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...UMA-HYDE~%20II
Old March 19, 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Old Guard Dog

Above post is good, so is Dura-Coat, which does not need baking. More important is prep. Blasting with carbide is good, and followed with Parkerizing before painting is best, but not necessary.

Check out Dura-Coat for videos. You could use similar techniques with other coatings.
Old March 19, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
bamafan4life

omg i didnt know u could buy firearm paint in a spray can like that! it has to be so much easier and probly more durable than cold blue! and its cheaper i usually go through two 3.oz bottles of birchwood casey on 1 long gun. im building a turkish mauser sporter and im so ganna try the semi gloss black on my gun. im in love with you fellow members at the firing line! but theres only one drawback that i can see. will the aluma hide flake off from shooting a highpowerd rifle over and over again (you know how hot that barrel gets!)? i doubt it does because its epoxy and they use freggin epoxy in nucular plants!.
Old March 20, 2009, 02:11 AM   #5
sadsack

Just be careful not to paint up the parts that need to move. I bought a Rem 700 a while back that had been painted. It took almost two quarts of stripper to get the bolt freed up. Someone had broken the bolt handle off by hammering on it trying to free it up.
Old March 20, 2009, 02:21 AM   #6
Mr Odd Six

Dura-coat is a royal pain in the obama.

But it is the nicest coating I own.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

Most any properly applied, properly dried or cured "paint type" gun finish will not flake off from firing.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Tom2

Well he said stainless, so park undercoat is out. Bead blasting/degreasing would surely make any paint stick better to the steel. I am wondering about high temperatures. It is a semi auto, right? Might get alot of rapid fire some time and barrels on a hot day can get pretty hot. Some kind of paint that is hi temp rated might be advisible in that case? Maybe some of the stuff you bake on. That makes it durable, and if it can stand baking, it could stand a hot barrel, I think?
Old March 21, 2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Mac's!

Use Gunkote! It's not super user freindly but it'll never flake or peel and barrel heat has no effect on it. (Unless it exceeds 800 degrees!!) You can also use the Gunkote Molly finish for internal moving parts including trigger mechanisms and bolt parts. A little bit of use causes it to burnish to a perfect fit and will make it smoother than original. Acetone, cat urine, battery acid, blood, sweat and tears all have no effect on it. (Yes, we get a fair number of handguns in here that had the finish destroyed by cat urine...usually the girlfriends cat) Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old March 21, 2009, 11:50 PM   #10
arjunki

I really like the Duracoat product. I don't use their templates , I just use natural brush like ferns and such to save a buck. It's tough stuff!

Last edited by arjunki; March 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:10 PM   #11
emmasis

I read up on both of them and they need to be baked, My barrel is on the gun I need something with a fast hardening rate that is durable....anyone?

HELP!

Terrance
Old March 22, 2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Swampghost

A lot of people, including myself, use Krylon. They make camo paints in spray bombs. I don't know how much heat they will take, not a lot of fire-fights in the woods. For general range and hunting purposes they work fine.