The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 15, 2024, 11:48 PM   #1
claydoctor

Ruger LCR Recoil

Anyone else having problems with recoil in this Ruger? My first one was the 38 Spl version. With both the factory Hogue grips and another Hogue design, the recoil was unpleasant to put it mildly. I switched to a larger Pachmayr grip, which made it tolerable but decreased it's concealability. My alloy frame S&W 442 with wood grips has less recoil. So I sold the 38 and bought the 327 Fed Mag version because of it's ability to utilize multiple 32 calibers. The other day my friend and I took it to the range. We are both experienced shooters. We first loaded 32 H&R magnum rounds and found them to be both accurate and soft shooting. Then we switched to the 327 Fed Mag. My friend managed two shots before handing it off to me. I was only able to fire one round, which was more than enough for me. I know that Ruger makes a steel frame version of the LCR for the 357 and 9mm guns. I think they should have used steel frames for the 38 and 327 as well. Now I have to figure out what to do with a box of 327 Fed Mag missing three rounds.
Old January 16, 2024, 06:20 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

According to Rutgers spec sheet the .357 and .327 have identical steel frames, just the housing/frame for the FCG is polymer.
Old January 16, 2024, 09:24 AM   #3
DaleA

I posted the following in 2013 about my experience firing the .357 Ruger LCR.

Quote:
I found factory 158 grain .357 unpleasant (as in I'm not going to shoot it) in the LCR. The factory 125 grain .357 was a handful but I will shoot it, just not too much at one time.
While the .357 loads are probably beyond my comfort level (read I'm not going to shoot them-I've called the LCR a 'vicious little gun' in the past) you might be okay with them.

The LCR I handled looked well-made and certainly is concealable and of course you could just fire .38 Specials in the gun instead of .357 loads. That Ruger is still making and selling it speaks well for its acceptance among shooters.

For me and the LCR I think the Dirty Harry quote is applicable 'A man has to know his limitations.'
Old January 16, 2024, 10:43 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Sounds like a problem with technique.
No one has complained about recoil with my .327 LCR.
My S&W 642, yes; but not the LCR.

What people do complain about is the muzzle blast. Most people find .327 Federal loads to be more offensive than .357 Magnum.

And, as mentioned above, the .327 LCR does have a steel frame. As it should, since it is the highest pressure cartridge (45k psi) chambered in the revolver.
Old January 16, 2024, 11:00 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

According to Ruger's website, the .327 LCR IS made of 400 series stainless steel, just like the .357 magnum version weighing in identical at 17 oz.
I haven't shot a .327 version but have shot the .357 LCR in full house Buffalobore .357magnum. While a handful, it was doable.

You also need to distinguish between recoil as hand pain or muzzle flip, because the term recoil involves both. Since the LCR is a tang grip design, the wrap around hogue grips with a cushion is much softer shooting than the Smiths with usually the expose backstrap....unless you use a wraparound rubber grip for the light weight models.

You really need to hold these lightweight revolvers tight to keep the gun from "slapping" into your hand. With a loose grip, they will tend to jump and bite.
Old January 16, 2024, 01:40 PM   #6
JasonD67

I have a LCRx in .327. The factory grips were too small for my hands, so I bought the larger Hogue, no finger-groove grips. Now my pinky can get on the grip and the gun is much more controllable. That said, I would never want to sit at the range and shoot a box of .327 mag out of it -- nor would I with my .357 mag, .44 mag, or (full power) 10mm handguns. The LCRx is a baby when shooting 32 Long or 32 H&R mag. I often carry my LCRx with full power .327 mags in it...I don't think I'll mind the blast or recoil if I ever need the gun.
Old January 16, 2024, 02:52 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydoctor View Post
Anyone else having problems with recoil in this Ruger? My first one was the 38 Spl version. With both the factory Hogue grips and another Hogue design, the recoil was unpleasant to put it mildly. I switched to a larger Pachmayr grip, which made it tolerable but decreased it's concealability. My alloy frame S&W 442 with wood grips has less recoil. So I sold the 38 and bought the 327 Fed Mag version because of it's ability to utilize multiple 32 calibers. The other day my friend and I took it to the range. We are both experienced shooters. We first loaded 32 H&R magnum rounds and found them to be both accurate and soft shooting. Then we switched to the 327 Fed Mag. My friend managed two shots before handing it off to me. I was only able to fire one round, which was more than enough for me. I know that Ruger makes a steel frame version of the LCR for the 357 and 9mm guns. I think they should have used steel frames for the 38 and 327 as well. Now I have to figure out what to do with a box of 327 Fed Mag missing three rounds.
LCRx .38. I have shot it with both the stock Hogue, and the longer finger groove less Hogue they put on the 3" guns.

With what I shoot (usually handloads, 158 grain, 3.8 grains Bullseye, slightly into +P), I have no problem with recoil.

I have shot full house factory loaded .357 through an LCR .357. It felt about like shooting it through my steel Taurus 605 (considerably heavier). Not fun, but do-able.

What I hear about the .327 is, it's a real fire-breather. Quite stout. Look around, you'll find someone to take it off your hands.

Individual differences.

Quote:
I know that Ruger makes a steel frame version of the LCR for the 357 and 9mm guns. I think they should have used steel frames for the 38 and 327 as well.
I disagree.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 16, 2024, 03:01 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
As it should, since it is the highest pressure cartridge (45k psi) chambered in the revolver.
The 460 has a Max of 65K and Speer recommends keeping it at 55K
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 16, 2024, 04:28 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Everyone has different levels of tolerance for felt recoil. There are many factors involved. Ammo, gun size & weight, grip size, grip shape, grip material, shooter grip technique all play a part.

There's no free lunch, and if you want the smallest, lightest gun shooting the most powerful round practical, you pay for that with increased felt recoil.

Determine your priorities. Most concealable, most powerful, most comfortable to shoot, etc. Use what suits you needs most, and live with the downsides.
Old January 16, 2024, 06:57 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The 460 has a Max of 65K and Speer recommends keeping it at 55K
The Ruger LCR is not chambered for .460 S&W.
Old January 16, 2024, 09:54 PM   #11
Super Sneaky Steve

The longer grip found on the 3" models does a better job of controlling the recoil. The gun is light and there's no getting around that, but the larger grip helps and also fits the 2" guns if you don't mind it looking goofy.
Old January 17, 2024, 06:17 PM   #12
Ricklin

Elsie Pea?

Cute name for a vicious little pistol....
I force myself to put a magazines worth through it on range trips. My good buddy will not shoot it again, he REALLY did not like it.
I've heard the Hogue rubber band works well, it also makes it larger.
It's the skinny, that's what makes it disappear in a pocket too.
Old January 17, 2024, 08:54 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

LOL, LCR is the subject, not the LCP
Old January 17, 2024, 09:33 PM   #14
WyMark

I actually bought a smaller thinner Tamer grip for my .357 LCR, it hides better and it's easier to get out of a pocket. I shoot 158g .357 loads at the range, which is pretty unpleasant so I don't do it very often and usually only 5 rounds, but it is very manageable. For carry I go with a 130g .38 Special +P which is even more manageable. It definitely ain't a range gun though.
Old January 17, 2024, 11:58 PM   #15
P Flados

My wife is very recoil sensitive and her little Ruger 3” 38 Sp LCRx is very light. As such, recoil even with normal mild 120 gr target ammo was too much for her.

After scrounging around my stuff I came up with a 102 gr Lee RN mold (108 gr as cast). I made up a bunch and "worked down" with both Titegroup and Promo. For Titegroup, 2.5 gr was "low enough" to not bother her. Chrono out of the gun was pretty close to 600 fps (more when "tipped back", less when "tipped forward" just prior to firing).

I found that I enjoy shooting this gun with either these or the 120 gr target load. The gun is now the only revolver in my regular rotation and gets 30 rounds or so each trip to the range.

I feel that I tolerate recoil better than average, but a full power 158 crosses into "no fun" territory for the LCRx.
Old January 18, 2024, 09:33 AM   #16
claydoctor

I appreciate the input. I was surprised to learn that in fact the 327 mag version does have a steel frame. I tested mine with a magnet and found that the frame surrounding the steel cylinder is also steel, however the grip portion is not. Perhaps if that were steel, it would help with recoil. The answer for me is to keep it stoked with 32 H&R magnums and to make sure no 327 Fed Mag shells are ever in the same room with the gun much less in the cylinder. Thanks again for the comments.
Old January 18, 2024, 11:23 AM   #17
Super Sneaky Steve

The whole point of these guns is to be light. It's in the name, Light Compact Revolver.

If it's too light buy an SP101. They still exist for this reason.
Old January 19, 2024, 02:53 AM   #18
radom

Try a smith mtn gun 44 with the rem 180 does 1850 fps loads..you are shooting a puss cat
Old January 19, 2024, 06:46 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydoctor View Post
I appreciate the input. I was surprised to learn that in fact the 327 mag version does have a steel frame. I tested mine with a magnet and found that the frame surrounding the steel cylinder is also steel, however the grip portion is not. Perhaps if that were steel, it would help with recoil. The answer for me is to keep it stoked with 32 H&R magnums and to make sure no 327 Fed Mag shells are ever in the same room with the gun much less in the cylinder. Thanks again for the comments.
Interesting thing is Ruger claims the polymer FCG is supposed to help mitigate some of the recoil. I’m guessing there is a little flexing in the frame that supposedly will help. If this is the case I’d estimate it makes very little difference or pretty much unnoticeable to the average shooter.
Old January 19, 2024, 10:42 AM   #20
FrankenMauser

There used to be a little marketing video showing slow motion flex of the grip frame.
It does flex a bit.
Old January 19, 2024, 11:22 AM   #21
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
There used to be a little marketing video showing slow motion flex of the grip frame.
It does flex a bit.
This is probably where I got the notion from.
Old January 19, 2024, 10:35 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

Wasn't that also Glock original pitch before the big polymer bandwagon boom?
Recoil reduction with the polymer frame.