The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 4, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Bluing Tank Stands.

All,

I'm going to be sitting down to design a new bluing tank stand to replace my old setup, along with the burners. What would be something that everyone would look for on the stands, to make them more desirable, or work better? I have some heat saving tricks, now, that I'm going to include, and to have them so they partially bolt together in that they could be shipped, but that's about it. I generally build these to hold two 40" tanks, on four legs, instead of two, out of 1-1/2" angle iron. Two stands, one for the hot tanks, and one for the cold rinse. Any input would be appreciated, and once they are designed and fabricated, I'll post the photos on here. It may be a few months, but they'll get built by fall.
Old July 4, 2013, 01:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you already have a setup, I can't think of anything you don't already know. One point, not directly connected to the tanks or stands is to make sure there is a high volume emergency shower near the caustic salt tanks.

Jim
Old July 4, 2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Roughedge

Post pics when you finish them. I have the standard ones from Brownells and they work okay but I'm always looking for a easier way.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you already have a setup, I can't think of anything you don't already know.
Jim, I wish I did, but I always find something I never knew, and learn every day.

The heat saving trick I came up with, uses ceramic pads under under the four corners of each heated tank. They keep the heat from being leeched into the frame. I am looking at a few new ways to make them better. I have seen folks add heat shields around the outside, but I don't know if that actually helps that much, as long as the heat from the bottoms are directed up around the sides. The main thing is getting the most bang for the buck out of two 10 lb. propane cylinders.

The rinse tanks, I modify by adding drains, and have a cold water spigot mounted to fill them with. I do my hot water bluing on a separate portable stand.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; July 5, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Roughedge,

Will do.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:21 AM   #6
guncrank

Bluing Tank Stands.

I have found that making a wind break that covers the burner and below works if your tanks are out side like mine are.
Also a way of leveling the tank independent of the stand would be a plus.
For that in my setup a used scrap steel that I had that is the right size. Some of the pieces where milled down
Old July 5, 2013, 08:26 AM   #7
guncrank

Bluing Tank Stands.

I worked for a smith who had stainless tubing that let the water in at the bottom for the rinse and near the top for the salt
tank.

I always thought it was overkill but he had a big multi-tank outfit and it was easier to turn a stop cock on or off .
Old July 5, 2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

guncrank,

Thanks for the input. I thought about levelers, as I wanted that on mine this time, and will be easy to add. The wind break can be added too, just some sheet metal screwed around the bottom, or the front hinged so you can light the burners easy. I won't have to use them, as mine is in the shop, but these could be added if someone wanted it, and wanted me to build them. I actually made two stands for others, but it has been a long time back.