The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 3, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1
FLYMRY

Washington State Open Carry While Hiking/Backpacking

I will be going backpacking / hiking in the Olympic National Park as well as the Olympic, Wenatchee and Okanogan National Forests in the coming weeks. The state of Washington clearly permits open carriage of firearms. As long as the gun owner can "ascertain when the carrying of a particular weapon would reasonably warrant alarm in others". This relates to carriage in a public place, such as a city street but also covers the entire state.

Additionally, in accordance with RCW 9.41.060 (8) you may carry concealed without a license (I have one) if you are "engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding..."

My question is this:

While hiking, is it then "reasonable" to carry openly on the trail, in camp, at the trail head (parking lot) in such a way that the weapon is holstered in a closed thumb break, on my belt so that it is immediately accessible without having to remove my pack and open a compartment?

In the summer months it is quite warm in these areas of Washington. This is part of my point in that if I need the weapon, I'm not going to have time to dig through my backpack. Additionally I'm not going to be wearing any garments able to conceal the pistol on my belt (such as a jacket, sweatshirt, vest, etc. I simply want to be able to wear a t-shirt/field shirt and have a gun on my belt for self defense.

Any input and "what would you do" would be great!
Beretta 92FS (Italy) | Beretta 84FS (Italy)
Old August 4, 2011, 04:37 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Revolvers are generally less conspicuous than black autos. You should be fine. You would only have to remove it if asked by officers for some disturbance of the peace because some namby pamby freaked when someone in bear country decided to carry a firearm for protection instead of bear bells and pepper spray. Even then I doubt some park ranger will go out of their way to find you and request you remove your firearm.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:54 AM   #3
FLYMRY

Thanks! Unfortunately a revolver isn't an option...I have to choose between a Beretta and a Beretta, which is hardly unfortunate.

Common sense tells me that I am well within reason to carry openly on a Forest Service or Park Service trail in accordance with state law. If an officer needs to approach me about it, he is more than welcome to as I have every interest in my own and other folks safety and peace of mind.

Still interested in other input anyone can share.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:16 AM   #4
youngunz4life

you will be fine as long as you are following the law in that area. I know it can get tricky when people hike as an example on trails where the laws change enroute.
Old August 4, 2011, 09:18 AM   #5
NJgunowner

I've been in Washington and Oregon bear country. While the bears don't fall into the big category, but they fall into the "big enough" one just fine. If your beretta is a 9mm or .40, you might want to get something bigger. And I'd be open carrying and the tree huggers can go kiss pine tree if really bothers them

My brother's father used to take me up in that area in the summers when I was 10 or so. He always had me carry a .357 in case of bear or mountain lions. Never saw the mountain lions but the bears were plentiful. They all kept their distance though. This was back in the 80's before people were comply freaked out by a kid with a gun. I was an adventuresome lad and had no fear of walking off alone in the woods, so he wanted me armed in case anything happened and or we got separated.

Last edited by NJgunowner; August 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old August 4, 2011, 09:31 AM   #6
FLYMRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgunowner View Post
I've been in Washington and Oregon bear country. While the bears don't fall into the big category, but they fall into the "big enough" one just fine. If your beretta is a 9mm or .40, you might want to get something bigger. And I'd be opening carrying and the tree huggers can go kiss pine tree if really bothers them

My brother's father used to take me up in that area in the summers when I was 10 or so. He always had me carry a .357 in case of bear or mountain lions. Never saw the mountain lions but the bears were plentiful. They all kept their distance though. This was back in the 80's before people were comply freaked out by a kid with a gun. I was an adventuresome lad and had no fear of walking off alone in the woods, so he wanted me armed in case anything happened and or we got separated.
Good info, thanks.

While something of a bigger caliber is on my list someday down the road, I'll be packing my 92FS (and 84FS. In my pack for auxiliary).

I know what you mean about the critters out there. I grew up in the region and while Mountain Lions/cougars are a concern, sightings are rare, but seeing a bear is not uncommon. I've seen them many, many times. Especially near creeks and streams in the Olympics.

This is my main reason for this thread, and the more replies I get the more confident I will be wearing openly out on the trails. Let 'em ask questions, I just want my gun handy.

Keep 'em coming. Thanks!
Old August 4, 2011, 10:11 AM   #7
zippy13

How about a fanny-pack style holster?
Old August 4, 2011, 10:15 AM   #8
FLYMRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13 View Post
How about a fanny-pack style holster?
That is an option I'm considering. I'll get one if I have to, but I'm just not a fan of fanny packs.
Old August 4, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
NJgunowner

A good gun for that area would be a Ruger Gp100 using a .357 wadcutter or fmj. A semi-auto choice would be a Glock 20/29 10mm or S&W 10mm something, or even the Witness 10mm. I have a Colt Delta Elite myself but I'm way to fond of it to drag it through the woods. I really like the 10mm round. Versatile enough for just about anything 4 legged or 2 in the lower 48, and if I was in Alaska I'd be carrying a damn rifle and a side arm!

Just take a good quality +P or +P+ fmj with the beretta and it'll probably all work out.
Old August 4, 2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Norwegian troops carry Glock 20s for polar bear backup.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Buzzcook

I use a surplus canvas holster. Works for all my handguns. Well by works I mean they fit in there so I can close the flap.

I wear it three ways depending on what I'm doing. Strong side on a belt if I'm day hiking with a light pack or no pack. Tanker carry with a heavy pack with hip supports. Hooked to one of the shoulder straps.

Mostly though I have my gun and holster in a pocket of the pack.

I hope this doesn't devolve into a bear thread.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:23 PM   #12
FLYMRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcook View Post
I use a surplus canvas holster. Works for all my handguns. Well by works I mean they fit in there so I can close the flap.

I wear it three ways depending on what I'm doing. Strong side on a belt if I'm day hiking with a light pack or no pack. Tanker carry with a heavy pack with hip supports. Hooked to one of the shoulder straps.

Mostly though I have my gun and holster in a pocket of the pack.

I hope this doesn't devolve into a bear thread.
I've been trying to find a surplus M12 holster for less than full retail. That would do the trick for this purpose. For now a leather pancake in strong side will have to do.

Good suggestions! I've considered going tanker carry but I won't be using that kind of pack this time.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.649362,-80.474857
Old August 5, 2011, 01:35 AM   #13
WeedWacker

I will say that while I wouldn't condone walking the woods with anything less powerful than a .357 mag, your biggest threat is probably big cats or wolves, which 9mm is more than adequate. I would expect the worst, however. A Ruger Blackhawk in .45 colt would be a fantastic piece for trail work. Used at a gunshow is pretty affordable if you can manage to find one.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:53 AM   #14
comn-cents

Carry what you have and in what ever you feel comfortable carring it in. I've carried a 9mm in the woods often in the NW. Better than a rock by a long shot. Enjoy your outing.
Old August 5, 2011, 05:09 PM   #15
kilimanjaro

Your threat is not the wildlife, as long as you properly store your food in camp. Sad to say, but a small percentage of other hikers are the thing to be concerned about. I carry in what appears to be a map case attached to the pack strap on my chest. The pack carries the weight and it's better than on the waist.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:29 PM   #16
BrittB

Is it the same (law-wise), in Oregon?
Old August 6, 2011, 08:35 AM   #17
WeedWacker

http://opencarry.org/or.html

^Oregon open carry law resource^