The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 30, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Jcervo

Is it illegal?????? Pistol for a gift to a 19 year old

Hello,

Recently I have been told both... it is and it is not illegal for a persons father to purchase a pistol, take it home, and hand it to his teenager as a birthday gift. Although I am 19, I have 3 pistols given to me as gifts. As long as these stay at home and locked up when I am not using them at the range, is it illegal for my father to purchase them and give them to me to use? Also I will not have these in public because I am not 21. I am not some stereotypical teen where it seems like I want a gun to hold up a 7-11 or a bank, I am simply a young American wanting to enjoy my second amendment and do not want hassled because of this lol

I live in the state of CO
Old July 30, 2011, 12:14 AM   #2
chack

federal law says its OK, and he can buy a handgun in a private sale from a resident of the same state. He won't be able to buy ammo for it though.

Colorado may have more restrictive laws though.
Old July 30, 2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Edward429451

You are old enough to possess a pistol so it would be perfectly legal for him to gift you a pistol. As long as you have no felonies or domestic violence then why couldn't you posses one in public? (You can).

So you can't buy a new one until you're 21, and you may have trouble buying ammo for it, but you darn sure can possess it at 18, if it is for lawful use.
Old July 30, 2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Webleymkv

According to Federal law, no one under the age of 21 may purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition from a federally licensed dealer. Federal law also stipulates that anyone under the age of 18 is prohibited from posessing a handgun except under a handful of specific circumstances. Since you're 19 you may, as far as federal law is concerned, posess a handgun, purchase one from a private individual, or recieve one as a gift. One thing you may not do, however, is give your dad or anyone else the money for a handgun and then have them go and buy it for you as that is considered a straw purchase and is illegal. State and local laws, of course, may vary.
Old July 30, 2011, 09:11 AM   #5
chadstrickland

And you may be able to go get your ccw permit. I know in alabama the minimum age is 18 if the sheriff personally gives you permission
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old July 30, 2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Jcervo

Thank you very much for the advice. I was wondering if since I was 19 years of age, is it legal for me to open carry in public or to go get my ccw. I will have to look into that
Old July 30, 2011, 10:55 AM   #7
SaxonFSU

You mentioned 18 is legal in Alabama, Does anyone else have information on that?

I have been shooting at the range with my grandfather for several years and never need to worry about transportation.

Now that he is not able to visit as often, I would like to be able to go meet some friends for a few hours at the range without being worried with a federal firearms violation.

What about without a permit, can I at 20 (few months from 21) carry in the trunk unloaded?
Old July 30, 2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Edward429451

Now do you see why you young guys should not have cut class so much?
Old July 30, 2011, 11:01 AM   #9
chadstrickland

Lol..feel free to google it bud and I don't know about that maybe on your own land it would be ok but im not for sure. Just google firearm laws in alabama or handgun laws in alabama and see if what you can find
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old July 30, 2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Geezerbiker

I know that Oregon law allows a parent to give an handgun to one of there children. I gave a .380 to my daughter when she as ten. I kept a tight rein over it until she was old enough to have it on her own, but it was always her's...

Tony
Old July 30, 2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Twinsig

Pick A State

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

this might help you
Old July 30, 2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Powderman

Jcervo, congratulations and best of luck.

One suggestion...

Go shooting with your Dad. And Mom.

Often.

Best wishes!
Old July 30, 2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Geezerbiker

I remember my daughter taking up shooting up my 1911a1 when she was 12. The only problem with this was keeping her supplied in ammo... It made for good memories all around. I highly recommend families shooting together. It's even better if it's tied into a camping trip...

Tony
Old July 31, 2011, 02:45 PM   #14
langenc

A friend likes it when Mom and the dog, all shoot.

Remember Mom also VOTES!!!!