The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 24, 2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Terminus009

Illinois concerns, law, FOID, etc

Hi TFL,
Just got my NRA-ILA EVC package! I'm very excited to help ensure 2nd Amendment rights for Illiniosans! Proud to do all I can for IL 12th district!
I invite correspondence from Illinoisans regarding their 2A concerns. Please feel free to PM me here. I hope this thread post doesn't mess with TOS.
Best regards,
Jon
----- In Justice Robert H. Jackson's memorable words, "If there is any fixed star in our constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."
Old July 25, 2011, 12:05 AM   #2
C0untZer0

Should go in the Law & 2A Rights forum:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

But I appreciate the effort! I am saving up my pennies for whatever micro-compact I decide I'm going to carry for the day when IL finally passes HB148.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:24 AM   #3
Terminus009

Thanks!

I, too, await 148 or something close.

If I have posted to the wrong forum I hope our terrific moderators will point me in the right direction. As to micro-carry, may I suggest a stainless slide, with a tasteful polymer frame, say, in the .380 range? Perhaps with a durable and tasteful melonite finish? (Jon as pistol sommalier.)
My house gun is a S&W Bodyguard .380, tho I dearly love to shoot a .45 1911. A friend here at TFL has convinced me towards a nice full-bodied Para Ordnance piece, which will have to wait till my tuition is all paid up. 45 and going back to school.... Who knew?
----- In Justice Robert H. Jackson's memorable words, "If there is any fixed star in our constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."
Old July 25, 2011, 01:09 AM   #4
C0untZer0

Probably will be something in 9mm,

Rohrbaugh R9
Kimber Solo
Kahr CM9
Diamondback DB9
SIG P290

Or something along those lines...
Old July 25, 2011, 01:26 AM   #5
Terminus009

Because I'm 135 lbs soaking wet, that Bodyguard suits me. Fits my hand better than the NAA and the comparable Ruger, and is unlikely to print on my (allow me a metaphor) J frame body. And I have to say that the integral laser is a bonus as most SD trips happen in the dark. Price, sights, grip comfort, non-printing, that small gun suits me. If I was to carry somewhat larger, assuming IL carry law, that Kahr 9 makes total sense. If I could gain 50 lbs I'd probably go Springfield XD40 compact! Ah well... At least as small as I am I don't have to worry about all those obesity illnesses!
Rorbaugh 9 is a piece I know nothing about! Gonna have to take a look! I love being educated on new to me stuff! Thanks Count! (Btw I have a friend in Canada who wears Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Frankenberry tshirts to all our union stagehand gigs!)
Old July 25, 2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Terminus009

future

Not to be so pessimistic, but by the time I'll ccw or OC comes about we may be into looking for (to quote Arnie in Terminator and the gun shop clerk) a "phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range" to which the clerk says "just what you see here pal."

My point is simply this: as long as Cook county politicians continue to dominate and control gun laws in Illinois, it may well be that by the time carry laws happen here we will be watching our grand kids buying sci-fi guns. It is time Illinois politicians understand that the state is far larger than one county. South of Champaign, or even Springfield, there is a constituency that is largely ignored. A non-gun example is the coal gassification plant that was set to be built down here and was killed by Chicago, back in the late '80s. That plant would have meant hundreds of construction jobs, skilled and unskilled, for several years, as well as all the jobs needed to run that plant. But Chicago said "if we can't have it, nobody else can."

I see a parallel in gun law: "if we don't want it, nobody else can have it." Meanwhile politicians are allowed to carry, and they avail themselves of armed bodyguards.

Self defense is not solely the purview of the political elite. Their lives are no more valuable than ours. Every law abiding citizen of Illinois deserves and is entitled to the rights guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment.

God help us when we need a license, fee'd and taxed by the government to exercise our 1st Amendment rights to speak our mind or go to church. God help us when we need to show ID to worship. These rights, these limits upon federal or any governmental power apply equally to all of the bill of rights. The phrase "self evident" comes to mind.

Illinoisans, we must stand together, defend the 2nd, so that the 1st through the end of the list may not be taken from us.
Old July 25, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
540mope

if CC ever comes to IL it will only come via the Supreme Court. Chicago lawmakers will never relent
Old July 25, 2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Bud Helms

I think this fits better in L&CR.
Old July 25, 2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Patriot86

@540 : Like I have said before here, unless the SCOTUS decision clearly eliminates the ability of localities to ban CCW then I think you will for sure see the City of Chicago and a 50/50 chance of seeing the County of Cook banning CCW in Illinois. Hopefully by the time that happens I will have moved out to Lake or DuPage county.

I am getting ready for it though, my next handgun (Between a 229 Enhanced Elite and a 3.9" XD(M) both in 9mm) is going to specifically be ready for IWB type carry.

In regards to general Illinois Politics, as I understand it Democrats here in Illinois MUST carry Cook and Sangamon(both gimmies) counties as well as at least two or three others to reach a voting majority in Illinois. Suddenly finding ourselves with a pro 2A governor is VERY possible in the next election cycle.
Old July 26, 2011, 12:31 AM   #10
C0untZer0

I am definatley gearing up for the eventuality that IL will have CCW.

I am hoping that the ultra-compact nines get more reliable, and even that new models will come out...

Leaning toward a Kahr CM9 or a Rohrbaugh R9. But I think I have time before they pass HB148
Old July 26, 2011, 06:47 AM   #11
540mope

yes, it is a good idea to be prepared, just in case it does happen. handguns will be hard to find in Illinois, and pricey, if it ever does happen..

i'm ready...
Old July 26, 2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Webleymkv

I predict that IL will get carry of some sort within the next 2-3 years, but I think it will come about because the courts force them to. Chicago will have to be dragged along kicking and screaming.