The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Boncrayon

Any Savage Fox enthusiasts?

I have kept my Savage FoxB side-by-side for almost 40 years. It's a 20 gauge with the two triggers. Taking it out of my soft case, it looks like the day I bought it. With a 26" barrel, it is a joy to take to the field for dove or quail or the woods for squirel. Since they are not in production these days...any other Fox enthusiests out there?
Old July 31, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
jmr40

I spent the summer of 1973 mowing lawns @ $3 each to save up the money for my first gun. I paid around $125 for one of the Savage Fox 12 gauges. Quit working on the first dove hunt and was never right. Over the next 15 years I let several gunsmiths try to get it working right, but finally sold it cheap.

I'm glad you have had better luck.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Boncrayon

That's so unfortunate. Mine has continuously worked like a charm, cleaning it meticulously after each use. Never a glitch in operation and accuracy!
Old August 1, 2010, 08:03 PM   #4
oneounceload

I have th BSE 20 gauge - used to use it for ducks when lead was legal. I find it a tad too heavy at 7+ pounds for dove and quail - I bought a new 20 SxS that is about a pound lighter. The beavertail to me on a SxS makes the gun too wide. It has had to be rebuilt. It's an OK gun, but not one I would buy again.
Old August 1, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
mtnman

My grandpa had a Savage Fox 20 gauge till someone stole it. It has always been my favorite gun.
Old August 2, 2010, 11:57 AM   #6
jhog1

I have a Savage Fox 12 gauge with satin chrome reciever I have yet to see another one like it. I bought it from the original owner in the 70's it was the start of my double gun addiction. It has killed many ducks, geese, pheasant and rabbit with zero problems.
Old August 3, 2010, 05:14 PM   #7
xx78

The first gun I ever bought was a Savage Fox BSE 20ga. The year was 1973 (I was 13 then). I still remember taking the gun out of the case every night just to look at it. I hunted with it every chance I got and killed many phesants, rabbits, squirrels, and doves with it. That shotgun never let me down. I still have it and would never sell it. I think I will take it out next month for a dove hunt.
Old August 21, 2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Jim1776

I got one for Christmas when I was 13. I loved that gun because it was my first gun that was all my own however it was a piece of junk. It would double, and no I didn't have a finger on each trigger. Then other times it just wouldn't fire. I took it to a gunsmith with no luck. The fit and finish was terrible to put it mildly.

Actually the Savage Fox was a Stevens double with different wood. It was in no way a real Fox. Savage just owned the name and used it on a way lesser product. Having owned a couple of real Fox doubles I can tell you there is absolutely no comparison.
Old August 22, 2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Hammer1

The first shotgun that I bought myself was a 12 gauge Savage Fox Model B with double triggers.

It had factory 24-inch barrels, ventilate-rib, with IC/M chokes. Was promoted as a quail gun model.

Still have it.

Ever since taking it from the factory box, the gun was very stiff to open and close. Took it more than once to a gunsmith to fix and, though I paid for having it fixed, no one really improved its operation.

After 20+ years of ownership, took it to an 80-year-old gunsmith to have it thoroughly cleaned. As he was dismantling it, he reached for a file, took one stroke with it, then looked up at me and said, "Hope you didn't mind me removing that burr. That burr would have made it difficult to open or close."

He finished cleaning it, re-assembled it, and returned the gun to me. Has since opened and closed like the finest double guns ever made. The gunsmith charged me nothing for any of his work that day.

Would like to get a 16 gauge Savage Fox.

Last edited by Hammer1; August 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old August 22, 2010, 12:09 PM   #10
BarkeyVA

I bought a 16 ga. Utica-Fox Sterlingworth made in 1939, a few months ago. It has 28" barrels but the chokes had been opened up to .006 and .012 (about IC and between Skeet II and Mod) However, it patterns more like IC and Mod. Hope to try it on pheasants this Fall.
Old September 10, 2010, 10:11 PM   #11
mikeyg

Savage-Fox 16

I have a Savagefox 16 ga. I got many years ago.had it reblued & am currently re-checkering it. kicks like a rodeo bull but it is hell on ducks.I've killed birds I would'nt even shoot at w/any of my other guns. heavy & slow handling but also great on pheasant
Old September 10, 2010, 10:25 PM   #12
gtrjames

My brother has a 12 ga Savage-Fox with single trigger that was made in the mid 60s...It shot well until one day in the dove field the second barrel failed to fire...the gunsmith said he'd seen it happen before with that particular model gun...some of them would also double...and some of them shoot perfect every time.