The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2008, 01:28 PM   #1
SoonerPast

Tables listed starting loads

What risk is possible to load at a level a small amount below a recommended starting load?

I am looking to get as close to the minimum velocity I can and still make the power factor. 9mm, 147 grain jacketed hollow point.

I have seen several load suggestions, but all were stronger than I need.
Old November 10, 2008, 03:00 PM   #2
ShootingNut

Sooner

To each his own, but myself I always use at least the "start load", to mid range load. Each gun is differant of course, but in a semi auto you could have a problem with feeding/ejection with too light a load. I'm probably not telling you anything that you do not already know.
Regards,
SN
Old November 10, 2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Sevens

Honestly, I'm not sure where folks are finding these "starting loads." What I typically see listed are max loads that you are supposed to reduce to start, and work toward. And in this day & age, many of the "max" loads are lighter than in the past anyway.

You mention "power factor." Are you shooting competition? If so, your best bet is to talk to some fellow shooters. Most guys who burn a lot of ammo in competition are reloading and most would be happy to share.

What risk is possible? Plenty. You could produce ammo that doesn't reliably cycle your pistol, which is a hassle, but not a real problem. The hassle comes in jacking your pistol to correct the problem, and then tearing down all the bad rounds if you made up a bunch.

The problem lies in the chance that you stick a bullet in your barrel. If you don't realize it before you shoot the next one, your problems START with a bulged barrel and get much worse from there.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:30 PM   #4
44Magnum

Do not confuse "starting load" and "minimum load." Recommended starting loads are higher than "minimum loads." Therefore, the reloader can typically go slightly below a starting load without issue. If you decide to go below a "minimum load" you are, in a sense, becoming a tester. Do it at your own risk.

For example, my favorite .44 magnum plinking load is 0.4 grains lower than the listed "starting load." This load propels the bullet just barely subsonic in my revolver. Even though I went below the starting load, I am still slightly above the "minimum load."

Why do I do this? Well, the last time I went to my local indoor range with heavy hunting loads there were pieces of ceiling insulation falling in my lane with almost every shot.
A guy with a .40 pistol watched me shoot in complete disbelief of the recoil, flame, noise, and concussion. The place emptied out after a little bit. I'd like to practice without driving everybody but the fellow diehard out in the process.

Last edited by 44Magnum; November 10, 2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:08 PM   #5
SoonerPast

Thanks

What you say makes sense. I suppose a "minimum load" would vary from barrel to barrel.

Thanks.