The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
mrawesome22

Shot buffer in centerfire loads.

Anyone ever tried this stuff as a filler? I was thinking of using this stuff as a filler for charges that don't fill the case all the way up.

And how would it be added to the powder? Just dump it in the case after the powder has been added? Or would I need to add it to the powder charge and mix, then dump it into the case?

Thanks.
Old October 20, 2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

People use it. Polyester filler for pillows and quilts is used more commonly because it holds the powder in place without displacing as much of the air in the case. The thing to be aware of is that as the air is displaced in the case, less total air volume remains for the powder to burn in, so pressure goes up. The bottom line is that you will have to back your load way down and work it back up with the shot buffer. Less so, but still some with the tuft of polyester holding the powder in place. I am convinced that many complaints about fillers causing chamber ringing are actually the result of shooting loads at much higher pressure than the reloader thought he was, just because he wasn't aware that losing air space would raise pressure.

A third alternative is to find and old same-chambering case and cut it off sharply at the level the powder charge reaches, then use a chamfering tool to bevel the inside edge until the outside of the case is sharp. Use this like a cookie cutter to cut newspaper discs. Put one or two of these in over top of the powder, and use a wood dowel to push the edges down to wedge them into place so it stays put. Very little air space is then subtracted from the load, though you need to carry such cartridges tip-up to avoid dislodging the paper.

A fourth alternative is to deburr your case flashholes and work the load back up with magnum primers and see if that doesn't reduce your shot-to-shot extreme spread, too, before you mess with the fillers.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 20, 2007, 11:42 PM   #3
snuffy

I certainly would NOT use granulated shot buffer for reduced powder loads. The stuff I have is granulated polyethylene,= plastic, not polyester. I would think that it would melt, coating the inside of the case and the barrel with plastic.

Like Nick said, get some polyester pillow stuffing at you local wally world in the arts and crafts section.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 21, 2007, 01:02 AM   #4
mrawesome22

Thanks Nick. You've given me a few things to try. The newspaper trick sounds very interesting, but very time consuming and you would have to treat those rounds like eggs LOL.

I'll try the polyester and see what happens.
Old October 21, 2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The polyester melts, too, but starting in the cotton form, melts down to paper thin at the bullet base and then burns up. Polyethylene melts at an even lower temperature, but is a polyolefin (synthetic fat) so it can actually coat the bore and help lubricate cast bullets. Cast bullets over polyethylene disc wads exhibit reduced leading because of this. It's a weird world out there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 21, 2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Jim Watson

You don't mention caliber, but I wouldn't use non-gunpowder crap in a bottleneck cartridge.

Friend of mine uses Grex shotshell buffer over smokeless loads in his .450 BPE. I was just reading the book on loading Express cartridges and that guy mostly uses foam wads in the big straight cases, thick enough to completely fill the space from powder to bullet. He didn't say what kind of foam but some CAS loaders use caulk backer rod from Lowes in their Tenderfoot ammo. Ross Seyfried uses lots of polyester, enough so it can't move around or act as a projectile and ring the chamber.

Actually, I would use powders that do not call for a filler. 5744, 4759, maybe 2400; or one of the slow powders that a case full is not an overload. Or black, where appropriate.