The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 7, 2005, 07:52 PM   #1
USP45usp

Bad Tactics and Training

What would you say to a person, that comes to you (because you are a gun owner) for some pity who has this story:

Person was dispatched out to a job. Got the the hotel and was taking things out of the vehicle to the room. Wife called, he talked with her, then made some dinner, and then went to sleep.

He only had one bag to get (a briefcase) and his firearm, which was in the glove box.

Yep, you guessed it, the firearm was stolen.

He thought it was "safe" because his room was above the vehicle and the area was brightly lite.

Wayne
Old November 7, 2005, 07:55 PM   #2
XavierBreath

I'd say report the theft and use some common sense next time. Oh, and may as well buy another gun, this one's gone.
Old November 7, 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
BobK

What good is a firearm in a glove box? +1 What Xavier said.
Old November 7, 2005, 08:40 PM   #4
blackmind

Quote:
He thought it was "safe" because his room was above the vehicle and the area was brightly lite.

What a jerk. No sympathy. The main idea is to never leave something in your car unattended if you would not want it stolen. LEAST of all a FIREARM.

Thinking that proximity and light are going to prevent theft is just stupid. Did this yoke really think that he'd wake out of a sound sleep to hear an attempt to break into his vehicle? Is that why he thought it was just fine to leave the goods in the car? Because he could interrupt the act and scare someone away from stealing his WEAPON?

What was he going to do if by the time he heard the theft happening, the thief already had accessed the handgun?!

Sounds like a MORON.

Why did he figure the gun was somehow better off in the car overnight than with him in the hotel room? Did he have a second gun with him in the room? Sounds like this guy is just not real keen. He has a gun -- obviously for protection -- but it doesn't occur to him that it would be beneficial to keep it in a hotel room?

-blackmind
Old November 7, 2005, 09:59 PM   #5
USP45usp

Quote:
Sounds like a MORON.
Yes, that was my first impression of him when I met him about a year ago. And no, he's not a friend but just someone that is a student in our program.

That's exactly the way I was toward him, asking why he left a weapon in his SUV. His excuse was that he got "side tracked" and my boss recongized the disapproval in my voice when I basically said that he was negligent.

I gave him the number to OSP and also ATFE. He said that he notified the Salem PD and wasn't that enough and I basically told him that he needs to get the information out and spread as quickly as possible so if the gun is found, before it's used for anything (I hope that they can find it before this happens), at a stop or whatever, it's in all the LEO's databases.

I mean, the guy bought the gun for protection and I asked why he didn't have it on him or with him at all times. His excuse was that he just moved from California (and this is where he bought the gun, had to call them for the serial so he could report it) to Oregon and didn't have the time, or money (that's another thing about him, very financial irresponsible) to apply.

Now, I'm trying not to talk bad about people, maybe I'm slipping back into my old ways, but I can understand people reporting stolen guns that they tried to protect the best they could. A criminal, a successful one anyway, can defeat any lock, barrier, etc.. if they work at it hard enough. Yet to think that a locked vehicle, surrounded by windows (oh, they popped the passenger side lock and gained entry that way, they knew what they were doing) was somehow safer than having it in your motel room with you.

And even if he got "sidetracked", when I was traveling the gun was the first thing to be secured in the hotel room. I ensured I knew where that thing was 24/7.

After being on the boards and learning over the years, I found myself actually angry that the gun had been stolen.

It also makes me rethink a couple of things that I need to do in the house concerning the shotguns and two rifles. I have secured the house and the room that they are in and also have a cheap alarm system hooked up but I could do more.

But I would never allow the gun to be in the car unless I had direct control over it (like at work, the car is right outside the window where I can see it and get to it quickly. But I can head off any thief that may try to get in).

Now, with more thinking, I'm thinking that I may have been too judgemental on the whole issue. I just hate the fact that someone, somewhere, has a gun that a person that I knew allowed to get into their hands because he didn't take the precautions needed for a gun owner. Of which makes us look bad.

I still won't take back the tone of my voice or the disapproval that I have. I understand that you can't do anything to ensure that your guns are 100% secure, but you can raise that %, especially if you only own one gun!.

Wayne
Old November 8, 2005, 12:03 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

You know, after taking gun classes from several schools and instructors, I can honestly say that I have never had tactics and training as it relates to storing guns in the car.

Not only did the guy leave the gun in the car, he failed to have it with him in the hotel room should he have needed to use it.
Old November 8, 2005, 12:20 AM   #7
Onebum

one thing sticks out to me...the fact he actually said that since his room was over his car it would be safe. What the hell does one have to do with the other? gonna sit there and watch it?

That statement is the typical statment a person uses when they screw up. They say something dumb because they think it will make them seem not quite so dumb. Instead, they do something dumb and say something dumb.

He got sidetracked and forgot it...but he also thought it was fine because his room was near it. the two don't work with each other.

sorry, I can't stand when someone makes a complete bonehead move that they know better than doing, then tell a lie to make themselves sound better. Just own up to it instead of saying you planned on watching your car all night, even though you didn't realize you left your pistol in your car.
Old November 8, 2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Doug.38PR

1) I NEVER leave ANY gun or anything valuable in my car when at home or at a motel for just this reason.

2) Why leave the gun in the car? What if your motel room door is kicked in that night? The gun would be quite useful.

As someone who practically lives on the road, I would say leaving a gun in the car would be quite foolish. Why have the gun if you aren't going to have it with you?
Old November 8, 2005, 01:05 AM   #9
Sir William

I travel and I also out of habit keep a simply stocked bug out bag. It has shaving supplies, snacks, meds, two days worth of clothes, hygiene supplies, extra sunglasses, hearing protection, dry shampoo, one MRE set, a radio, extra batteries, $20.00 in change, zip-lock baggies, a mechanical pocket watch, compass, crank LED flashlight, dog snacks, a box of WWB 50 38 Specials and a S&W Model 10. It is a nondescript Collette Tours bag. It is difficult to forget anything if you are organized. I guess I should buy a crossword book or two.
Old November 8, 2005, 08:42 AM   #10
DocFox

Doug.38PR .... +2 ... I say this because of several reasons (including how anal I am about weapon safety and taking responsibility for one's own actions). One big reason is the following story (will condense it) ...

My wife and I had an unexpected overnight in a hotel in Montana, during our cross country move (uhaul broke down). About midnight my 4 large dogs got skittish and started barking at sounds from the stairwell that was 1 room away from us, turns out someone was being chased up the stairs and there was a good bit of yelling... a door slammed (2 rooms away in the other direction) and then lots of banging and pounding acommpanied by shattering glass (beer bottles) and screams of death threats and obscenities. The aggressors then started on the doors closer to the stairs (including mine) to get access to a room....

Right or wrong... I don't like being trapped on the 3rd floor... I confronted the morons (2 visiting Cali Hispanic gang bangers) and they "sobered up" temporarily (between 4 large dogs, me and the wife both with guns, and the surprise factor) and apologized before bolting.... 30 minutes later they came back (avoided my room) after their original prey... cops were already in route...

I'll skip the details, but lets just say both were convicted on several counts, one after a short stay in the hospital...had our guns been in the car, we would never have made it to our new home.

In essence, the gun not with you is nothing more than an expensive paperweight... If you MUST leave one in your car, there are a couple of companies that make safes for your vehicle. YOUR weapon is YOUR responsibility, YOU are responsible for it.