The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 2, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1
erob3

Remington Limited Edition

Hi All,

I am curious as to the value of a Remington Model 870 pump 12 ga limited edition. The name of the edition is "Wildlife for Tomorrow". From what I have been able to find out only 1750 were made. It is new in the box with all chokes, paperwork, etc. I told the guy I would let him know tomorrow if I wanted it. I have checked several sources but have not been able to determine a value. Thanks in advance for input.
Old April 2, 2011, 10:16 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ed_in_19951996

I always wonder about how come so many older guns are sold as never having been firered NIB.
Old April 2, 2011, 11:07 PM   #3
erob3

I know what you mean Klawman, if I buy a gun I'm going to shoot it. I actually saw the shotgun today, my father is the one who is interested in buying it. He asked me if I could help find a value. There it was, in the Remington cardboard box in the white foam liner. It was obvious it had never been shot, it looked like it had never been put together. It still had all of the paperwork inside along with all of the original stickers on the outside of the box. I guess it's just been sitting in a safe all of these years. I appreciate the link to the website. I guess the $1100 price wuold apply for one in this condition. If anyone else has any info I would appreciate it.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:44 PM   #4
BigJimP

In my experience the limited editions / wildlife special editions / ducks unlimited editions ...etc ....add very little value, if any, to the value of a shotgun. $ 1,100 is way too much for this gun / even unfired and new in box.

The value is akin to the same model of 870 / that is new in the box today - with the same stock, barrel and chamber length dimensions. There are a lot of 870's out there - but even the 870 Wingmaster these days, new in the box, which is the top of the line 870 sells new for around $ 600.

It might be a cool gun to own / but don't pay more than you would for any other new 870 ...or maybe bump it $ 50 for the engraving / or writing on the gun / or the waterfowl scenes or whatever ...but no more than that.

If the seller is asking for $ 1,100 for it ...he'll be asking a long time. These guns are auctioned off at charity events, given as gifts sometimes - but they don't retain their value / and part of it is some guys don't want to shoot a gun with this kind of engraving and stuff all over it. In my area - we see quite a few of the "ducks unlimited special editions for sale" ...and most of them sit for a long time ... But just my opinion remember...

Don't buy it as an investment ...because it will not appreciate much - if at all.
Old April 3, 2011, 01:35 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

From what I saw in a brief Google, BigJim is right about the limited edition. It looked $600 to $750 was top dollar for an excelent one.
Old April 3, 2011, 08:18 PM   #6
jmr40

The limited edition would detract from the value to most. I'd pay no more than what a standard gun in similar conditon was worth.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:38 PM   #7
TxGun

In my experience the limited editions / wildlife special editions / ducks unlimited editions ...etc ....add very little value, if any, to the value of a shotgun.

Yep. I agree with BigJimP.