The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
MDS

Working up loads

I often find that I get some lead bullets. My load manuals will for the most part have jacketed data. Can you safely work these down for there lead counterpart?
Old June 10, 2010, 01:35 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

... As a general rule - sort of ...

Jacketed data will usually be safe for lead bullets of the same style (don't use FMJ data for a Wadcutter), but.... they will lead the hell out of your barrel, due to velocity.

I highly suggest picking up, at a minimum, the Lyman pistol and revolver reloading manual. It has a lot of information and data for cast bullets in it.

Using data for a similar lead bullet is much better than using jacketed data, or data for a different weight.

If I absolutely cannot find data for a cartridge/bullet combination with lead, I reduce from the closest jacketed data I can find, by 15-25%. I don't recommend it without a lot of experience, though. There are a lot of other factors to consider; like bullet shape, type of lube, amount of lube, amount of crimp, type of crimp, the cartridge's flexibility with loads, revolver vs auto, etc...

The internet is also a wonderful thing. Almost any bullet you can find, in any part of the country, will have load data posted somewhere. It might be Jim-Bob's super hot snake chasing load, but you'll find some kind of data.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:22 AM   #3
reloader28

In cast bullets, pressure is where it counts for reloading. The only books I have with pressure in it is Lyman and Lee.

In the Lee book he tells you how to back down loads by subtracting a certain percent psi until you get to your desired psi. Then you subtract a certain percent powder until you get down to where you stopped with the psi. You can do the same with the fps.

It sounds complicated, but its really simple if you have a few minutes and tho I've only used this a couple times, it seems to hold very close to what the actual results are. I only had a difference of about 40 fps.
Old June 10, 2010, 10:40 AM   #4
MDS

Thanks for the feedback. Leading due to velocity is certainly an issue. I'll look at the Lyman and Lee manuals also. Thanks again.