The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Kirkpatrick

Lee rifle dies, pacesetter vs deluxe

I'm starting new to rifle reloading, though I do have plenty of experience with handgun loads. I'm already set up with Lee, so that's the route I'm going. I'm going to be loading .308 Remington for a bolt action rifle. What are the advantages of the Lee Pacesetter dies over the Deluxe dies? Also, seeing as I don't plan on using any semi auto in the near future, will the Factory Crimp Die make any difference.

Thanks
Old January 11, 2013, 10:57 AM   #2
daboone

If reloading for a bolt rifle then go for the deluxe which has the collet die as well as the full length die.
The range pick up or once fired cases will need to be full length sized to be fire from you rifle. One the case has been fired formed in your bolt rifle then the collet die will give you better accuracy and case life.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The advantage to the Pacesetter dies is they are cheaper. That is because they are a two-die set instead of a three-die set.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 11, 2013, 12:44 PM   #4
howlnmad

You will need a shell holder for these dies and since you say that you're not running them in a semi, I wouldn't worry about the factory crimp die either.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

The pace setter die set comes with a shell holder, and a dipper as well as a full length sizing die, and a standard seating die. They will make rounds that shoot better than most people can milk them for accuracy wise.

The Deluxe die set has the full length sizing die which is needed for sizing new brass, or range pick up brass not fired in your rifle. The collet die is a neck sizing die that does not require lubing cases. The thing is it will only work with brass fired in the same rifle. It can also help with better accuracy. Note it will only work for bolt action, or single shot rifles. (Semi auto requires full length sizing ever time.) The deluxe die set also comes with the Dead Length seating die. It does not crimp, and the design of the die helps greatly with accuracy.

I buy the Deluxe die sets for all bolt action calibers that I load for, and can find them for.