The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 29, 2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Hardy

Lemat/ need info

I sold a LeMat to a customer. I know nothing except it shoots 9 44 rounds and has a 20 g/shotgun barrel. How do you guys load these/especially the shotgun. Does it burn and bugger the underside of the barrel? And can you fire the shots before shooting out cylinder. I posted this on CVA thread and was the wrong place. All advise is most appreciated. Customer wants more info than I can offer and what the handbook offers. AMAZING GUN!!

WBH
Old June 29, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
mykeal

MEC, who is a member of this forum, published a review of the Pietta LeMat in both his books; the first one, Percussion Pistols and Revolvers, History, Performance and Practical Use is still available through amazon.com.

The review generally was unfavorable to the design, although he noted many positive aspects. I highly recommend the book.
Old June 30, 2011, 06:33 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

The LeMat has a few idiosyncrasies. The center barrel can be loaded with round ball or shot. It can be fired when the rest of the cylinder is loaded or unloaded. You have to manually pivot the nose of the hammer down to strike the center barrel cap. You have a very short hammer fall on the center barrel and misfires are common. I carefully sand the face of caps to make them thinner for the center barrel.

The nine chamber loads are like any other C&B revolver, just more of them.

The LeMat, in it's day had more fire power than any hand gun I can think of.

Not a C&B beginners revolver but not terribly difficult to master.