The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 29, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Carson1023

Ward's Western Field Model 60 20 gauge

I cannot find any sources to date this shotgun.. The serial number appears to be: SB620-A (This is the only string of numbers on the firearm)
Any help on finding out the age of this gun would be appreciated. Also, if you can with giving an estimate of the value would also be appreciated.

IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg
Old June 29, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
30-30remchester

I have always admired these models and owned a few. This is simply a Savage model 620 that was built for Montgumery Wards. This is another John Browning designed gun. The quality of these guns is very seldom matched these days. It is made of milled steel and walnut. No plastic, investment castings or stamped tin parts. With such advantages a person would think they would command high prices. Well, aint so. A person can buy one of these in superb condition at about any gun show for @$150. I have never paid over $125 for any of mine and they were all in excellent condition. They great thing about these is the fact that knowledgable gun cranks can afford more than one of these and possess a gun far superior to most made today.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Slugo

wow, what a nice slider! Another JMB masterpiece. Allot like the Ithaca Model 37 which JMB designed. These are the kinds of guns I adore...
Old June 29, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Carson1023

Awesome information. I am very thankful for your responses. Its nice to know what I have.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

That design has what is IMHO the best takedown system of any repeating shotgun ever designed (except perhaps for that of the Burgess police folding shotgun, on which the 520/620 were based). See http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/...lding-gun.aspx if unfamiliar with the Burgess).

Don't forget that the 520/620 and their 'store brand' namesakes do not have disconnectors, and will therefore 'slam fire' like the Winchester Model 97 and Model 12, the older Ithaca Model 37s, etc. That means if you hold the trigger down and close the bolt on a live round, the gun will fire when the bolt locks. Remember your Four Rules always, but especially when handling a slam fire pumpgun.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 29, 2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Carson1023

Wow, great info. I ha no idea about most of what is coming in. Thank you so much. Also thanks for the heads up on the slam firing. Any further information about the gun would be greatly appreciated, so keep it coming.