The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2013, 07:31 AM   #1
rrruger

.38 special +P load info

I am going to try my hand at reloading for the first time.
I am looking at reloading .38/.357 cases. I have used 125 grain jacketed bullets in a +P Remington load at the range with great success. However, in the .357 loads the 125 grain seems to be a bit harsh on the recoil side. I am thinking of a 158 grain jacketed bullet to load both .38+P and .357 Mag.
Can you suggest or comment on a load that would push the 158 down range at about 1000ft/sec...and a bit more for the .357?
I will be shooting these through a GP100 4".
I am also told that the primer choice will affect the velocity and I am trying to wrap my head around how a "fuse" can affect the speed that the powder burns?
Thanks for your input
rrruger
Old March 13, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
sourdough44

What type of powder do you have on hand? Most of my loads are close to 38 +p or lower 357 mag loads. I keep each in appropriate cases, 38/357.

You can do what you want with a powder in the 'medium'(to slightly faster) for handgun range, light 357 or 38 +p loads. I'd use something like win-231, H Universal, Unique or something in that ballpark.
Old March 13, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Sevens

Quote:
I am also told that the primer choice will affect the velocity
To be truthful, every single tiny little thing will affect the velocity, but most won't affect it to any large degree. Some advice on primers that I think you may find serves you well for a long time:

You don't need a magnum primer unless the data, and more specifically, the powder actually calls for one. You will occasionally need a hotter primer because the powder is (comparatively) harder to ignite. One powder in particular is H110 (same powder as W296) and because this powder requires a magnum primer, I have avoided it since I began handloading. In a couple decades at the bench, I've still never purchased a magnum primer. I do NOT intend to.

Try to find a primer brand that you -CAN- readily obtain for a price you can accept...then marry yourself to that primer. For me, it was the CCI primer. I started buying them in '89 because that's what the LGS had and here I am still using them. The info you got about different primer affecting the velocity is a partial truth-- anything you change can affect what the load does, so your best bet will be to make your primer a set, known quantity and not a variable. You can use any primer (you can even use magnum primers if you choose) but your best bet is to use the SAME primer all the time and remove it as a variable.

Pay no attention to the "name" of the caliber insofar as primer is concerned. Just because it says .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum does not mean you need a magnum primer. Those are simply names on the case head. If you were loading .300 Ultra Mag, you wouldn't need an ultra-mag primer.

As to your request for some loads, it would be helpful to know specifically what bullets and powder you have in mind. I do a lot of both .38 and .357 handloading, and I've got a lot of opinions on the subject.
Old March 13, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
originally posted by rrruger;

I am thinking of a 158 grain jacketed bullet to load both .38+P and .357 Mag.
Can you suggest or comment on a load that would push the 158 down range at about 1000ft/sec...and a bit more for the .357?

Doubt very much if you will find many, if any .38+P loads for a 158 jacketed that will do 1000FPS outta a 4'' barrel.
Old March 13, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
sourdough44

I do agree, your 1000fps from a 38 spcl +p is a bit much.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:53 PM   #6
jersurf101

I load 158 grn +p's with a little over 3.5 grains of bullseye. I don't think that will hit the1000 fox mark. 6.0 grns of unique in a .357 magnum case under 158 grn lead is my light 1000 fps load.