The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 18, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

On rifle Storage space

After my last trip muzzle loading I was considering a patch box type insert for my inline muzzle loader. I just received and advert from Ruger for a cheek rest with a large zippered nylon bag attached.

Many ARs have storage in the grip.

There are a few stocks with internal ammo storage.

I know some people throw things in the hollow synthetic stocks.

Does having a couple rounds in the rifle make less sense than patches and caps?
Cleaning kit?

Should more modern sporting rifles have internal storage? Is it a feature you would use? How much would you be willing to pay? Do you prefer the rifle just be lighter?

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 18, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:07 PM   #2
dyl

Same dilemma, I went with an Allen gun case Velcro rig with zippered pocket. Still not optimal for me. The zipper worked its way undone on the walk back at sunset and my breech plug wrench and speed loader fell out - I was able to find them because the red color of the rubber speed loader. The unit seems durable but the zipper should have opened from the other side. As it is it's not very secure when hunting - have to keep an eye on it.

Space was also tight. I don't understand why the pouch would not be exactly as large as the cloth backing rather than a large slab of nylon with a small protruding pouch.

Mostly what I see are sleeves for shotguns, for rifle rounds to be held externally, or built in cheek pads. Hard to find a decent setup that does not affect cheek weld.

For my muzzleloader, I would want a lot of space. Enough to hold everything that is required to keep the gun functional without reaching into a "possibles" bag. Except cleaning fluid maybe. The walls of my plastic stock are so thin I'm not sure it could be done while keeping the stock strong enough unless that was made thicker too.