The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2006, 12:27 AM   #1
razorburn

Getting into reloading

Having enough brass that reloading equipment may cost less than buying another batch of factory ammo to replace it, I'm thinking I need to get into reloading about now. I'm a bit perplexed by the equipment... there's a huge variety of it at a very wide range of costs. So far I've seen presses from $100 to 500+. I'm looking for something basic, so I think a single stage press is fine with me. But I've also seen things such as a do-it-all set for a specific caliber, which makes a cartridge with a single pull of the lever. Are these any good? If not, what's a good basic starter kit that's not too expensive?
Old June 25, 2006, 02:25 AM   #2
geronimo13

It might help if you described what calibers you shoot, pistol, rifle? Then how many rounds per month? I use a lee 1000 progressive to load .223 and like it alot. It was inexpensive (under $200 for everything) but a little problematic to get working right. If you hunt and shoot under 100 rounds for the season a single stage press will work great, but if you're shooting 200 handgun rounds a week, then a progressive is worthwhile learning to use.
Old June 25, 2006, 03:17 AM   #3
razorburn

.357/.38 are what I'd like to reload mainly. I may wish to reload .308 too, but the good rifle range is fairly far away, so I shoot rather infrequently and ammo costs aren't digging into me too bad. I shoot around 50 rounds of .308 a month and 250 rounds of .357s and .38s a month.
Old June 25, 2006, 04:59 AM   #4
skeeter1

.38/.357

For striaght-wall cases, don't rule out the Lee hand press and a set of carbide dies. Not the quickest thing in the world, but cheap and will get the job done. I've never done bottle-neck rifle cases, so I can't comment there.
Old June 25, 2006, 06:19 AM   #5
MrApathy

if you go with lee press I suggest the classic line.

turret press is nice can take your time just like a single stage and learning to use is easy.

wouldnt suggest progressive for first press.

though its nice to have single stage around even if you have a turret or progressive.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old June 25, 2006, 08:03 AM   #6
Hafoc

Lee Hand Press

I reload .357 and 7mm Mauser (among other things) using a Lee Hand Press. I don't recommend this for everyone. The Hand Press is mostly for when you don't have a place to bolt down a press of any description. Even a single-stage reloading press, bolted to a work bench, will be far more convenient for you. But the Hand Press will do the job, and it's economical.

For dies, I use Lee carbide for handgun calibers, and neck resizing dies for the rifle. Full-length resizing is standard (if there is any such thing) in handloading because a full-resized reload should function in any weapon chambered for that cailber. However, if you are shooting a bolt action or single shot, and you only want to fire your reloads in the same rifle that supplied you your empty rifle brass, neck resizing might be better. It stresses the brass less, so you get more reloads out of it. Your fired cartridges are fire-formed to the chamber of your rifle, so they are like custom-made cartridges for that rifle only; you can get better accuracy if you don't fully resize them. And, when you're talking about the Hand Press... a neck resize die takes a LOT less force.

While the Hand Press may be up to any job a single stage bench press can do-- theoretically-- I'm not. That thing gives you an upper body workout with larger cases. It might do to lubricate them a bit (even for carbide, that doesn't need lubrication) just to make things easier.
Old June 25, 2006, 08:16 AM   #7
Hafoc

Basic Kits

On another subject, most of your manufacturers put out a beginner's kit. These are a good deal. You might be happy with one.

A beginner's kit would include a press, reloading manual, scale, powder measure, and something to put in primers (either an arm on the press or a separate tool). Might include case lube pad, case lube, and who knows what else. Add a set of dies and you're in business.

The first thing you should get, though, is a reloading manual. Pick one that includes reloading instructions in the front of the book, and read that part. If it's from a press manufacturer, they're going to highlight all their different presses, measures, etc etc world without end amen. That should give you a better idea what you need.

Reloading tends to become an equipment race; gotta have the biggest, fastest, best. If you're going to be manufacturing pistol cartridges by the thousands you definitely want a progressive press. If you want to make a hundred here or there, a single stage press is probably plenty.

And, strictly speaking, all the fancy gear is unnecessary. You should remember that the absolute minimum for reloading is very minimal indeed. The Old Boys around campfires out west did it all with a Lyman tool that was like a specialized set of pliers, and reloaded enough with that thing to wipe out the buffalo. Today, for the most basic possible reloading, you can still get the Lee Loader; in combination with a rubber mallet or a wooden stick, it includes every tool you'd need to reload one caliber, and costs about $20, complete. Crude as heck, but you can't say it doesn't work. And it does illustrate just how "minimum" a miminum reloading outfit can be.
Old June 25, 2006, 09:30 AM   #8
rwilson452

reloading

do the first things first. before putting your money down on equipment. By at least two books. "The ABC's of Reloading" and "Lyman's 48th edition". Read them. Read them more than once. By the time you have done that you should have a good idea of the type of equipment you want.
Old June 25, 2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Smokey Joe

Do Your Homework!!

Razorburn--RWilson nailed it! The very first pieces of equipment you need are The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing www.krause.com and at least one reloading manual. I too like the Lyman book, but there are several good ones out there. More than one is a good idea for cross-checking loads.

Like any new area of endeavor, there is a certain body of wisdom one needs to acquire when starting out. Without it, there will be mispurchases, wasted time effort & money, and considerable gnashing of teeth. In reloading for shooting, where we are controlling dangerously high pressures and fiendishly hot gases, close to our face, there is a large personal physical risk factor also to consider.

Computer people have an acronym for obtaining this body of wisdom. It's RTFM. For reloading, the FM of choice is The ABC's.

--Smokey Joe
Old June 28, 2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Billy 45

A friend of mine is going to help me get started reloading this fall. In the mean time, I bought The ABC's Of Reloading last week. I started to read it this past week end. The amount of historic information on cartridge and gun evolution, is worth reading the book for alone, even if you never start reloading. As somebody new to reloading, I find the book very easy to understand. It is well written. And, about the cost of a box of 45 Colts.
Old June 29, 2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Buckythebrewer

+1 for rwilsons452,the books are amazingly helpfull for safety and purchase decisions..
Old June 30, 2006, 09:46 PM   #12
Tuf Toy

Any one know the difference between the 6th addition of the ABC' of Reloading ($12. Midsouth) and the 7th edition (direct from Krause $23)
Old June 30, 2006, 10:28 PM   #13
rwilson452

ABC's etc

Billy,

After you make a lap around that book let us know what you think. After you have exhausted the book for answers to you questions, we can help. We are NOT the government and we are here to help you.
Old June 30, 2006, 10:36 PM   #14
Billy 45

Thanks

RWilson452:

Thanks for the invite. I have been visiting this site for a while, but, just recently registered. I was hoping the experienced reloaders here might answer a few questions when they arise.