The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1
kirbymagnum

What am i missing?

(1) Electronic scale

(2) Powder trickler

(3) Auto priming tool

(4) Case neck brush-snall

(5) Primer brush-small

(6) Dial caliper

(7) Bullet puller B/P collet 20 cal

(8) Manual case trimmer 20 cal

(9) Decapping pins -small

(10) Die set 204 ruger

(11) Lube

(12) Reloader Press

(13) Case loading block

(14) Vibratory case cleaner

(15) Formula 1 case media

(16) Formula 2 corn cob media

What am I missing? Is there anything on the list i do not need?
Old May 29, 2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Assuming you have already selected your bullets, powder, primers and brass, the only things you might need to add are a shell holder for .204 (some die sets come with one, some don't) and one or more reloading manuals of your choice.

Otherwise that is a very complete list. There are a few items you could probably put off buying on first go-round, but if you can afford them all now, might as well go for the whole deal.

The things I feel you can leave out are:

Powder trickler - unless its the electronic type that interacts with the scale, I will bet it just sits on your shelf after about 4 uses. Any one of the Lee Dippers works better, IMO.

Case neck brush - not that necessary

One of the medias - both work well, only one type is usually all that is necessary
Old May 30, 2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Jim Watson

The Book.
You do not list a manual, you need a manual.
Do you already have a manual?
Old May 30, 2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Rimrod

Powder Dispenser

Deburring Tool

Powder Funnel

And a Reloading Manual- And make sure the reloading manual has data for the .204 Ruger because it is a fairly new cartridge, compared to most manuals.
Old May 30, 2006, 09:27 AM   #5
sundog

Eye protection. It's the most important piece of equipment other than your brain. Only takes one mishap to ruin you. sundog
Old May 30, 2006, 08:45 PM   #6
kirbymagnum

I'm still debating on what book to get i will probably go with the Hornady. I have safety glasses but for the primers and powder i will have to do some more research. I think I'm going to go with the Hornady 40 grain bullets I have shot both the 32 and 40 and so far i like the 40 grains better. As far as the brass goes i will be reusing the spent brass until I have to buy brass. How long should the brass last? what signs should i be looking for to make sure the brass is safe to use again? I will add Powder Dispenser, Deburring Tool, and powder funnel to my list.

Thanks for all of your help.

What powder would you recomend for the 204 ruger 40 grain bullets?
Old May 31, 2006, 01:30 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

want/need

There may be thins you will want, like a powder measure, and a couple of things you will need, as already mentioned, a funnel (make sure to get one that goes to .17 cal, most stop at .22) and a deburring tool.

And of course loading manuals. You should get more than one, eventually. For comparison and different loads. But get at least the one put out by the company whose bullets you will be using. Pamphlets from the powder companies also.

The .204 is pretty new, older editions of the manuals will not have it.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:48 PM   #8
amamnn

stuff you need, or not

chamfer tool - flash hole reamer - micrometer - Neck turning tool- RCBS case master kit - winning lotto numbers

Depending upon how far you're prepared to go on the accuracy quest, the chamfer tool may be all that you need. There are people who will tell you that you don't need the tumbler and media. I'm not one of them, in fact, if you're going to be doing a lot of cleaning of a lot of brass, you might want to get a media separator and a big bucket.
Old June 1, 2006, 03:03 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

cheap shortcut

instead of a media separator, just get a plastic bucket 2.5gal, and a plastic colander (for draining spagetti) at your grocery store. Ought to be under 5bucks. Put the colander in the top of the bucket (mine sets right in just fine), dump the tumbler in, and shake gently. Works just fine.
Old June 1, 2006, 06:52 PM   #10
drvector

In addition to a loading manual, the abc's of reloading - you can pick it up at Cabelas for $19.99. Its a great book
Old June 2, 2006, 02:37 AM   #11
Bud Helms

What Jim Watson and Mal H said.

Have more than one book.
Old June 29, 2006, 11:28 PM   #12
kimberDW1884

my recent experience is at least 3 manuals one caliber specific or 2 and the speer and any other the one with the lee kit is ok ohh and abc's to relaoding helped me alot and read that book begore you open any box or order a anything unless u have but read all of it