The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2000, 02:36 PM   #1
Brent

I would like some advice on how to solve a little problem. Sometimes when I fire heavy loads like magnum buckshot or slugs, my Winchester 1300 Defender fails to chamber a new round after sliding the pump forward.

Is there some special technique I need to follow?
Old May 14, 2000, 04:28 PM   #2
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I think the problem is that you move the slide back on recoil, then backtrack a little and then continue to rack back. However, I am still figuring out my own 1300 and would welcome more educated opinions.
Old May 14, 2000, 09:20 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Are you using reloads ? I assume you are and don't re-size the case-head.

Well... the rotary bolt should not slip in and out of battery, and the slide back of the trombone-grip after firing can only usually happen AFTER chamber pressure has dropped to safe levels.
My M120 uses 1 3/4 OZ Winchester XX magnums for up to 10 reloads (have to ...they are $35AUD a box here !)with no problem atall, despite a sometimes slippery fore-end that snaps back/ejects, [it seems] all by itself !
I would suggest a manufacturing problem OR perhaps bad steel or brass used in the magnum head that is deforming under low pressures. If so, then reloads should be used with caution.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old May 14, 2000, 09:27 PM   #4
Big Bunny

On re-reading your posting it now appears that this is not a reloading problem but a technique one.
One can also "miss" the gate and deliver a round into the mud and not into the chamber if the correct "pump' technique .

The gun was intended to be used vigerously with pressure on the fore-wood backwards before a shot is fired. Try racking back HARD...then forward without any hesitation into battery... with a slam....bang...same again.

I can only get 4 X 3"MAGS in my magazine - more's the pity
Old May 15, 2000, 01:29 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No experience to speak of with the 1300, but...

Pumps are designed to work under stress and vigoursly. Babying them can cause feeding glitches. See if it happens when you slam it a little. Bet it doesn't...
Old May 15, 2000, 10:39 AM   #6
Brent

Dave McC and Big Bunny:

When firing the magnum rounds, the pump *appeared* to slide all the way back by itself under recoil. If I understand you correctly, I should use additional force to make sure the pump comes all the way back after firing a round.
Old May 15, 2000, 12:11 PM   #7
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Then, I think, you were short-stroking it. Happened to me before I got a hang of it, basically the bolt would re-close without picking up a shell. Shooting a few rounds of trap cured the problem as I learned to operate the gun without thinking about the details much.
Old May 15, 2000, 03:15 PM   #8
Shok

I think Brent and Oleg hit the nail on the head. When I first got my 1300 I forced my self to get into the habit of always pulling pump back. I never have a jamming problem now.

Shok
Old May 15, 2000, 08:31 PM   #9
Big Bunny

Try a little resin on your palm perhaps.

The "self-opening" feature of the gun is well known, but if hand contact is lost, the correct re-loading flip/release action can be lost,(also the case !) it can also be painful for the thumb on 1/2 stocked versions(M120 etc) too...

I have done it myself in cold conditions wearing gloves or shooting one-handed with a flashlight (in emmergencies)...so don't laugh.

Oleg's suggestion of doing some trap work is a good one, but use some light 1oz loads for an hour or so !!

Once you overcome the problem it becomes second nature and quicker than an auto too

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old May 16, 2000, 06:44 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nope, more like slamming it shut than open.
Pump vigorously, you cannot break it.
Old May 16, 2000, 02:42 PM   #11
ZeusOne

I sometimes intentionally short-stroke my 1300 to eject a round without chambering another when I wish to unload the gun.

After shooting lighter 2.75" shells for the summer, the recoil of heavier 3" hunting loads can make the gun and slide action "feel" different, resulting in a potential missed feed. This can be overcome by deliberately racking the slide back hard.

The 1300 is a fine gun. Keep the rails and receiver innards clean and lubed, and practice often enough to keep basic form automatic.