The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 31, 2002, 12:14 AM   #1
ProStreetChevelle

weapons throughout the house

In my various trainings (self-preservation, tactical/defensive handgun, etc.) a lot is said about improvised weapons. Almost anything inside a house can be a weapon (rolled up magazines, books, plates, glasses, CDs, etc.,etc.).

I wonder though, where you all keep your purpose-weapons? Especially those in two story houses. I know some of you have guns in each room of the house. Me, personally, I don't because we have lots of children (nieces, nephews, etc.) around and I don't want to take any chances, but I've always got my EDC knife on me, and various other things like OC, and my hands/feet for an attack.

So, what are some good hiding spots that you've come up with, of course without giving away your secrets or security
Old March 31, 2002, 04:43 AM   #2
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

A very good question.

Your most important concealment place for defensive tools is between your ears. A plan of action, and being straight about your primary goal (to keep yourself and your family alive) will help a lot.

My personal choice is that I do not carry firearms inside my house or stash firearms around. With that said, I don't believe in being helpless either.

I'm in an office now. Without too much thought, I could improvise at least a couple of impact weapons, as well as something quite a bit nastier. But I wouldn't need 'em, because I'd be applying the Receding Foot Kata.

It'd be a different story if my beehind (or my SO's) were backed into a corner, of course. But we've thus far been very well blessed that that hasn't happened yet.

- pdmoderator
Old March 31, 2002, 09:20 AM   #3
SGT405

knives-forks in kitchen.
knitting needles in den.
plant stakes in planters in livingroom.
nail files,etc. in bathroom.
sturdy pens in every room.
the list can go on and on.
Old April 1, 2002, 12:34 AM   #4
DubbL Tap

Alternative force - Options

Basically, I'm not a person who advocates violence(I'd defend myself effectively without the intent of using lethal force first, unless I'm pushed). However, I choose not to be a victim in any sitution for any reason. That said, I would suggest just being conscious of where things are in your home/office, and places you frequently.

The way I look at things, anything is a potential weapon. A manila folder(office), a bar of soap(most people thnk they're defenseless in the shower without a gunNot true. My wife won't pop in on me in the shower. I have very quick, defensive reflexes), a video tape(living room), a brush(pocket or bag). You just have to use your imagination if you don't get it. When you're in a life or death situation you may become very creative. My natural ability is to improvise (and I'm very good at it). Anyway, my evil eye works pretty well most of the time.
Old April 1, 2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Coronach

I generally don't stash weaponry unsecured around the house (besides the obvious non-purpose-built stuff). Why? Well-

(those of you who have heard me before on this are going 'yeah, yeah...okay already')

-it seems to me that a decent number of burglaries are interrupted by the homeowner returning to his castle unexpectedly. It would kinda suck to walk into your living room and be looking down the barrel of your own 870, no?

I usually CCW even at home, simply because I'm lazy and I don't like to take the thing off and put it away only to have to reverse the process a few minutes later if I have to go out.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 1, 2002, 02:49 PM   #6
fix

Dogs. 3 of 'em.

They can roam the house at will and provide me with plenty of time to get to a weapon.
Old April 1, 2002, 06:52 PM   #7
Chan Bates

Constant home defense

While not discounting improvisational weaponry, martial arts and attacking animals, if a concealed handgun is the choice for outside of the house, why not inside the house?

I wear my .40 in Thunderwear, all day, everywhere. On in the morning, off at bedtime, by the bed at night with the door deadbolted. I don't have to get within contact distance to inflict a minor wound with a fork.

Ooooh! That homeowner just threw a video tape at me! I'm getting outa here!

Or maybe you'll just piss him off.

Seeing the muzzle of a gun is a lot scarier than seeing a homeowner holding a loaded pen.

Nothing beats the equlaizer for equalizing a situation. Granted, many other deterrents may work, but the chance of the gun working even better are very high. CB3
Old April 1, 2002, 08:13 PM   #8
RAY WOODROW 3RD

here you go......

2 main weapons if you want to call them that. Meet Pitbull 1, male 100+lbs. Meet Pitbull 2, female 75lbs roaming freely throughout the house. and finally the most terrible horific thing that a burglar could ever face! MEET MRS. WOODY6 with the "farm implement"(thats what my buddy from Dakota calls them)of her choice pointing at you(probably the Beretta). Our back-up plan is the two ankle biters little Ray 4 and little Ryan 19 months.

DON'T ENTER THE WOODROW HOUSEHOLD UNINVITED!

"The key to success in ANY battle is effective communications."

From NJ? Check out "njcsd.com"
Old April 2, 2002, 03:14 PM   #9
coz

Two early warning devices - Dogs that are too small to threaten but certainly a good distraction for the BG.

When I'm sitting in the den, a Rugerp90 is within arm's reach.
In the kitchen a little walk to a secreted away .38
In the game room, a little stashed 9mm
In the bedroom his and hers sock drawers are "Loaded" 9mm and .45.

And yet another pistol....I'll never tell......just a little .32

My carry knives near where I put my pocket stuff

knives in the kitchen, and of course, the garage is a plethora of weaponry.
Old April 8, 2002, 11:17 AM   #10
DubbL Tap

Quote:
Originally posted by Chan Bates: Constant home defense
While not discounting improvisational weaponry...if a concealed handgun is the choice for outside of the house, why not inside the house?

I wear my .40 in Thunderwear, all day, everywhere. On in the morning, off at bedtime, by the bed at night with the door deadbolted. I don't have to get within contact distance to inflict a minor wound with a fork.

Or maybe you'll just piss him off.

Seeing the muzzle of a gun is a lot scarier than seeing a homeowner holding a loaded pen.

Nothing beats the equlaizer for equalizing a situation. Granted, many other deterrents may work, but the chance of the gun working even better are very high. CB3
Chan,
From your remarks, it seems as if you're mocking me. Hmmmm. I did say use your imagination. If that promted you to think "I’m gon’na throw this videotape at that guy!" then so be it (thats not at all what I had in mind). This is an Alternative Force/Close Quarters Combat Forum.
Quote:
I don't have to get within contact distance to inflict a minor wound with a fork.
Who said it was going to be minor?????
Quote:
Hardly realistic.
Quote:
A loaded pen was the best you could think of, huh?

I don’t know whether you were trying to be offensive but I believe the remarks you made (along with the manner you presented them in) are definitely out of place.:barf:

ProStreetChevelle said:
Quote:
In my various trainings (self-preservation, tactical/defensive handgun, etc.) a lot is said about improvised weapons. Almost anything inside a house can be a weapon (rolled up magazines, books, plates, glasses, CDs, etc.,etc.).

I merely agreed and let the guy know that he didn't need to "stash" all kinds of special purpose weapons around the house. Chances are in a real situation he'd have to address the intruder immediately (gun, brick, frying pan, etc.) and not be able to run to get the machete from behind the bookcase or dresser.

You made a good point about carrying a concealed handgun all day long (even at home).
Quote:
I wear my .40 in Thunderwear, all day, everywhere. On in the morning, off at bedtime, by the bed at night with the door deadbolted.
If that’s what floats your boat then fine. Not everyone can leave a gun (in the open) by the bed. Not everyone chooses to deadbolt their bedroom door or even have it closed.

Chan, you said:
Quote:
…many other deterrents may work, but the chance of the gun working even better are very high.
In some cases yes I would agree that guns work better at convincing an individual that he’s picked the wrong house. However, drawing a gun right off the bat isn’t always the best idea. Basically, if that’s your reasoning then you might have a lack of self control and/or training. In some cases using an improvised weapon/deterrent/distraction may be necessary. Even if its only the first thing you do.

Even though you said:
Quote:
While not discounting improvisational weaponry…
It seemed like you did try to belittle the use of improvised weapons. As a person who is concerned about self-defense it might be wise for you to broaden your seemingly narrow view.
Old April 9, 2002, 12:25 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Calmly, folks, and stay with ideas and concepts.

Remember, we don't have facial expressions and body language, here, to help get meanings--or absence of meanings/intents--understood.

"Think twice, post once.", okay?

, Art
Old April 26, 2002, 03:09 PM   #12
BuckRyan

My wife doesn't really like guns, so keeping them stashed around the house isn't really an option for me. I like to keep mag-lites handy, tho. If the power goes out, I have a flashlight. In the dark, I can use the flashlight to help me find my pistols and then to ID my target. Or I can use my flashlight as a blunt instrument in a pinch. I also have a couple of 24 inch aluminum baseball bats in the house. I keep one next to the couch in the living room. They are small enough to use one handed and you don't need a lot of room to swing them or thrust with them.
and the temples of his gods?
Old April 26, 2002, 08:24 PM   #13
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Well, I just registered, so we'll see whether this works.

I keep a .44 magnum in the front room, a .357 in the kitchen-dining area, and a .38 special in the bed room. Sad to say, since I live in the People's Republic of California, where burglary is considered slightly more serious than spitting on the sidewalk, I keep most of my firearms in bank boxes.

Once I move to a state with a shall issue law, I'll keep all my guns at home, most in a sturdy, fire-resistant safe, but a few stashed here and there for safety's sake. I figure they're like fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, the first aid kit, and flash lights: much better to have them handy and never need them than need them and not have them.

Regards,
Standing Wolf
Old April 27, 2002, 04:38 AM   #14
Ryder

Here's a good one for you

The steel arm on my reloading press unscrews to make a real sweet night stick type of club. It's also got a great non-slip foam grip. Guess they don't call it the "Orange Crusher" for nothing".

It sits pretty much central to everything on the first floor.

Other than that I too carry a loaded 45 either within arm's reach or on me.
Old April 27, 2002, 11:06 AM   #15
W. F. McElhany

First a little background, within a 4 mile radius of our home we have two max. security state prisons, a two county detention facility and a state mental hospital all of which have had escapes in the three and a half years since we moved here.
That being said I have either a 32 or a 45 on my person most of the time, a 38 spec. in the kitchen, another 38 and a 16 ga doublegun in the bedroom. My daughter is ten and has had gun safety and handleing training since she was six. We keep a boxer with a attitude as the housedog as well as an alarm system. My wife works in the family business appprox. 80 yards from the house with her father and brother. Overkill perhaps, but I beleive in better safe than sorry. Plus it has made it easier to get new guns past the wife.
Old April 28, 2002, 07:42 AM   #16
AK103K

I'm with Chan on this one, I have a Combat Commander on all the time, so it doesnt matter which room I'm in. I do have spare loaded mags around the house and truck. I dont believe in leaving loaded weapons lying around, thats just an accident waiting to happen. But having loaded mags out of sight but available for key weapons is another story. Having a Rottie is another plus, he's the roving alarm system, although I wouldnt want to see him get hurt either, just let me know something is up, besides, I wouldnt want the breed to get a bad rap for chewing on someone
Old April 28, 2002, 12:09 PM   #17
Tol

I too carry in my home.
But I also make an attempt to notice potential weapons in my enviroment.
If someone threatens me or mine a gun would be my first choice, but I'd have no qualms about putting a Bic pen 4" into them. Someone earlier mentioned that the best weapon is between your ears. I'd agree without exception.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the good conversation, good ideas, and great information.
Old May 3, 2002, 07:00 AM   #18
WoundChannel

I have 3 children. I have an easy access gun vault (www.gunvault.com) on each floor. Leaving weapons within arms reach around the house is not an option in my case. In the event of a home invasion, getting cut off from your weapon is a reality. So, carrying a *&* 642 or the like is just as comfortable as carrying a wallet. It could give you time to get to the shotgun.
I heartily accept the motto,-"That government is best which governs least;" and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which I also believe,-"That government is best which governs not at all;" and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.--Henry David Thoreau