The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
dev_null

Armed Homeowner thwarts home invasion by teens (TX)

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...sanmarcos.html

"...police 'do not anticipate filing charges against the resident' who shot the suspects, but ... will turn the case over to the Hays County district attorney's office for review after completing the investigation."

From this article, sounds like a justified shoot. Unfortunately, two teenagers brought about their own ends by their actions, another is in the hospital, and a fourth looking at some serious time.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:40 PM   #2
besafe2

Looks good to me.
Old September 5, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3
dabigguns357

so much for bringing a pellet gun to a real gun fight.
Old September 5, 2009, 10:35 AM   #4
ndbbm

God bless the second amendment!
Old September 5, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5
obxned

No mention of masks - were the 4 goblins planning on completing the festivities with a homicide?

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old September 5, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

Sorry to seem crass, but I am glad they are providing "grief Counselors" to the students at the school. I am sure the other kids that hung out with these home invaders and burglars will need some grief counseling to help them understand why their friends were shot doing something illegal.

I remember my grief counselor... She slapped me side the head and said "get over it!" Wonderful lady.
Old September 5, 2009, 12:25 PM   #7
pax

Doesn't look as if this thread is going to develop into a true discussion. Unless someone rescues it soon with a discussion of tactics and training, I'll be closing it.

pax
Old September 5, 2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Skans

Before you close this thread, there is one point that really does deserve some attention. Notice that there were THREE bad guys who were actually inside of the victim's house. Would a shotgun have been sufficient? Maybe. How about a revolver with 5 or 6 shots? Or a 1911 with 7 shots?

This scenario presents a darn good reason to have as many rounds as you can sqeeze inside of your HD handgun. I prefer at least 20. It will take me close to 12 rounds, under presure, to get good hits on each of them. If there was one more, I'd feel outgunned with even 20 rounds.
Old September 5, 2009, 06:09 PM   #9
jgcoastie

Quote:
This scenario presents a darn good reason to have as many rounds as you can sqeeze inside of your HD handgun. I prefer at least 20. It will take me close to 12 rounds, under presure, to get good hits on each of them. If there was one more, I'd feel outgunned with even 20 rounds.
Didn't the article say there were 4 intruders? Anyhoo, the ammo thing is why everyone should have at least one spare mag at their ready disposal.

For bump in the night scenarios, I always grab my G22 (.40, with a Glock light/laser combo on the rail), my Surefire Z2, and a spare mag. The spare mag gets stuck in the waistband of my skivvies, no mag holders provided on boxers these days, though someone may someday. Might we see "tactical underwear" in tacticool gun magazine ads someday soon, sporting magazine pouches in the elastic waistbands?
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 5, 2009, 06:18 PM   #10
dev_null

Pax (et al) -- part of the difficulty is that there isn't much info in terms of details on the homeowner's actions; however, I was hoping that some ideas about dos and don'ts might come out of the discussion (should've said so in my FP).

So, other than "be prepared," "bring enough gun," and "bring enough ammo," what else can we learn from this?

Anyone? Buehler?
Old September 5, 2009, 07:06 PM   #11
raftman

Certainly more detail would have been useful.

The article does say one of the home invaders did have a real gun, while a couple of the others had pellet guns. The outcome is 2 attackers killed, one injured, and a fourth fled and was arrested thereafter. None of the residents/owners of the home were injured.

Given that, what I wonder is, is this because the homeowner was just that much more competent a shooter than than the attackers (particularly the one with the real gun)? Given the age and descriptions of the attackers, it's very unlikely they were at all competent with their weapons. Were they all shot before they had the ability to discharge their own weapons? It doesn't say whether if any of the attackers fired any shots.

Or, did the attackers simply bring their weapons for the intimidation factor, in hopes that having weapons would make the homeowner(s) compliant will all demands but had no actual intention of shooting/killing anyone.

Or maybe it's both.
Old September 5, 2009, 07:18 PM   #12
JonathanZ

Quote:
Before you close this thread, there is one point that really does deserve some attention. Notice that there were THREE bad guys who were actually inside of the victim's house. Would a shotgun have been sufficient? Maybe. How about a revolver with 5 or 6 shots? Or a 1911 with 7 shots?

I do not believe a 6 shot revolver would have been sufficient if all 4 of the intruders had real firearms. I do however believe a 7 or 8 shot 12 gauge would do the job because it's much easier to shoot a long gun accurately and a shotgun will also have a greater ability to instantly stop someone with just a single shot.

Tactical wise, if there was no one else in the house was it a smart move of the guy to open the door because he heard something outside his bedroom? He exposed himself to someone pointing a gun at him which could have more easily resulted in him being shot and killed. Personally I would grab both my shotgun and my pistol and hole up in my bedroom. Maybe there were other members of the household, but the article doesn't say so.
Old September 5, 2009, 07:23 PM   #13
FJ4JAKE

Ok.. I can understand the police taking the gun that the home owner used.. as eveidence. But why would they take he other 3 guns from the guy? If they were not used in the shooting, they were not eveidence. Now the guy is defenseless... That makes no sense at all....
Old September 5, 2009, 07:54 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Ok.. I can understand the police taking the gun that the home owner used.. as eveidence. But why would they take he other 3 guns from the guy? If they were not used in the shooting, they were not eveidence. Now the guy is defenseless... That makes no sense at all....
You have misinferred what was stated which was...

Quote:
He said officials obtained a search warrant to collect evidence from the Chestnut Street residence, which is standard procedure, and that officials took four guns from the home.
No statement was made that they took 4 guns from the guy or that the guy was left defenseless. How do you ascertain that he is now defenseless?

Try counting the number of guns involved in the incident and then maybe you would better understand what went on. You have the homeowner's gun that was used to shoot three of the intruders. That is gun #1. Then you have...

Quote:
Three of the four youths appeared to be holding weapons, police say. One had a handgun, and the other two had pellet guns that looked like handguns, police said.
Those would be guns 2-4. Any questions?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; September 5, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old September 6, 2009, 05:41 AM   #15
pvt.Long

God bless texas I just hate the legal system that gets involved. I would have used a tarus judge loaded with 410 buck. Right next to my bible.

Last edited by pvt.Long; September 6, 2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: adding
Old September 6, 2009, 08:11 AM   #16
Brian48

I can see all nitwit family members of the deceased punks coming out now saying they were "good boys", just misguided or fell into the wrong crowd.

God Bless Texas and the 2A.
Old September 6, 2009, 01:58 PM   #17
Matt19

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Good shoot.
Old September 6, 2009, 02:06 PM   #18
pax

And that's a wrap.

pax
Closed Thread