The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 31, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
jg0001

Walther G22 -- heresy or simple fun?

See title. One out of dozens of posts on more common rifles mentioned the little space gun (aka Walther G22) and I remain a bit smitten by it.

Now, don't jump all over me. I still REALLY like the bolt action rifle setup and will likely get just that in a 308 Win or 30-06 setup when I can afford something spiffy. In the meantime, I've had so much difficulty settling on a (single) 22LR rifle that this (the Walther G22) may be just the ticket.

So, now to the important matters. Yes, I know it has it's failings -- I've read the blogs/posts/etc that complain about (1) weak bolt handles, (2) difficult disassembly (mini springs), and (3) poor feeding of slightly out of spec ammo (but not the Federal I use). I have yet to see a gun that doesn't have some complaints, and I hope that at least item #1 is a rarity and not the norm.

Any thoughts from owners or users of this gun before I plunk down my $500-$600 and take home a fully loaded model to keep me busy for some time?
Old May 31, 2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Stevie-Ray

Personally, I'd love to have one. It strikes me as another high grin-factor rifle like the GSG-5. Lets face it, fun rules with .22s.
Old June 1, 2009, 12:27 AM   #3
OcelotZ3

This was actually the very first firearm I ever bought myself. I bought a lightly used one off of Gunbroker for $280 and it has been lots of fun.

We have a Guns & Pizza day for our work group and it was the overall favorite firearm to shoot by far. And we had a LOT of firearms that day...
Old June 1, 2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Ricklin

Love it

I've had my G-22 for a couple of years now, it's a great little piece. Accurate, well made, great balance. Took some tweaking to get the 3X9 scope mounted up the way I wanted, I used some high rings with a "step" to make it comfortable for me. Yes takedown and reassembly is a little tricky, but I through clean my .22s once a year whether they need it or not.
I say go for it, I had a 10-22, wanted something a little different this time around. Great plinker.
Old June 1, 2009, 09:13 AM   #5
PRONE2

Great gun!

My wife shoots the G22, she is a small women and it fits her great and is fun to shoot.
Old June 1, 2009, 09:24 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

THey sure look like fun. Came really close to buying one when I owned a P22, but decided I wanted to get a more accurate gun. That accurate rifle was not very much fun.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:36 AM   #7
jg0001

Quote:
clean my .22s once a year
Ricklin -- you only clean them once a year or you only break them down completely once a year? I usually clean at least the bore and easy access action of my 22 pistol after every session.

For anyone wondering what this little wonder is, here's the link:
Walther G22 -- fully tricked out from factory
Old June 1, 2009, 08:49 PM   #8
jg0001

Did anyone buy extra accessories from S&W direct? Like a few extra mags? Or are they cheaper somewhere else?

Also, before I shell out the $50-$60 for the matching soft case, what exactly does it come in, if anything?
Old June 2, 2009, 06:05 AM   #9
Mowog

G22s are Fun.

I like my G22, Its easy to bring to the range and fun to shoot.
If you know what to expect with respect to the complaints its not too bad.
I have not tried many ammunition types, but with Federal bulk and federal match it was not terribly accurate - but fun enough to live with it.
My G22 came in a nice Walther logo'd hardcase with an allen wrench to take out the stock bolt, instructions, and a chamber empty flag.
The factory scope is not that great. If you can live without having a Walther logo on the scope, then you might be happier picking a nicer one to put on it.
Not sure about the soft case, the hard case mine came with is nice enough and shorter than a full size case so its handy to take to the range.
I was sort of the same, really liked the looks despite the drawbacks (Assembly, price) so to me it was worth it and I still enjoy owning it.

Last edited by Mowog; June 2, 2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Irrelevant side note.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Dingoboyx

Tacticool or what?

I bet that gets the instant seal of aproval from the persident of the S.O.M.E. (Society Of Mallninja's Excellence) Signed by Gecko himself!

I want one...... If it's as reliable as my P22, it should be awesome. I'd get it (if it weren't illegal here)

God you could have some fun with that.... and yeah, it would be a bit of a chick magnet to boot (the girls fight over my P22)

Unreal, get it for sure, and let us know how it shoots
Old June 2, 2009, 04:00 PM   #11
nagl0c

I picked one up a few years ago. It's a blast to shoot.

I'll find a picture and post it up later. Just wanted to throw my "thumbs up" behind it.