The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 1999, 08:07 PM   #26
HankL

IMHO If Mike Dillon was really a smart man he would produce a single station press.
I have one green press on my bench, a RCBS Rockchucker, and a Dillon 450 and 650. No problems with the chucker but the decor demands blue "IMR 4064 cans" not green.
Honestly, I have not had any recent experiances with orange or red presses, I bought my first Dillon 15 years ago and have not looked back. It's the old 450 that still pumps out the 45ACP.
Money is money but.
Hank
Old August 5, 1999, 10:28 PM   #27
Mal H
Staff

[TIC]
Hank, I understand loyalty, but you're missing out on a lot of good powders. IMR4320, 4831, and nearly all of the Hodgdon powders. In fact TiteGroup even has a "green back" on it.
[/TIC]
Old August 6, 1999, 12:18 PM   #28
FTG-05

HankL,

The easiest way to kill an interest in reloading, IMO, is to use a single stage reloader. I used one for .308 years and years ago and talk about BORING!!!!!

People say they don't want a Dillon since they're not in a hurry. I say, great, buy a Dillon for the quality and accuracy! Feamster proved that high quality and accurate ammo can be loaded on a progressive (i.e. Dillon 550B). Single stages may be good for a specific purpose (i.e. trimming), but to say only use it, balderdash!

Regards,

Albin
Old August 7, 1999, 07:04 AM   #29
HankL

Albin, Did I miss your point or did you miss mine? My Rock Chucker usually has a Dillon
RT 1200B trimmer mounted on it. When you load 14 rifle and 8 pistol calibers some of which you shoot infrequently a single stage comes in handy for loading as well.
All I'm saying is that I think it would be cool if Dillon made a single stage press to go along with the aforementioned 450 and 650.
Best regards, Hank
Old August 9, 1999, 05:11 PM   #30
Sportster

Setting up a progressive can be a pain. You gotta do each station at a time......the sizer,the primer,the expander,then the powder- make sure of the proper amount-then the bullet,etc.......but once you get that sucker set up,its BAM BAM BAM,and before ya know it,you've got 100's of rounds of ammo! I have a Loadmaster,and once I got that puppy set up,its great! Knockin' em out left and right,and the first time I shot one of those 357 Sig rounds,it was right on the money accuracy wise using Accurate #7. Theres a lot to remember when reloading for sure- especially with the sig. Important to make sure the bullet does'nt seat itself any deeper after loading. I check with manual pressure on the bullet to push it in,check it with calipers and then cycle it at least three times in the gun I'm going to shoot it in to make sure it won't push the bullet in. If thats cool,then its a go. I used a single stage Lee for a couple years,and was it slo-o-o-o-w going! But this thing rocks!
Old August 9, 1999, 08:05 PM   #31
HankL

To quote Joe's original post. "Blasted little plastic gear". Spend the money, get the Dillon, and never ever tell Clint McKee you are shooting ammo made this way in one of his' fine firearms! Not in public anyway.
I'd rather not tear down my press, replace that Blasted gear, and move on.
IMHFO Dillon is worth every dollar! Note, I did say dollar and not cent.
Be good, safe, and shoot well.
Hank
Old August 10, 1999, 12:39 AM   #32
alan

Bought an RCBS Jr, no longer made I believe, in 1967. Probably loaded close to 100,000 rounds of rifle and pistol ammunition on it, and until I gave up rifle shooting, eye problems, still used it to full length 30-06 and 308 brass.

Bought a Dillon 550 in 1980, and have used it ever since. Have had a few replacement parts, powder measure wore out, and I stripped a thread on the primer tube mounting. Service was always first rate. Manual advance is not a problem for me, no low powder indicator, powder measure in right in front of your face, and a couple of plastic trays hold cases and bullets respectively. Only "problem" I ever noticed was that one has to clean the primer transfer slide surface now and then, it tends to get crudded up with powder residue, and the spent primer catcher doesn't always work. These are minor problems, at best. Dillon's are really good equipment. Works best with Winchester brand primers, though CCI's feed also. Remington and Federal primers, in my Dillon, were nothing but trouble.
Old August 11, 1999, 03:31 PM   #33
FTG-05

HankL:

My apologies are in order: I misintrepeted your post. My fault!

Regards,

Albin