The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Picher

"Bowling pins OFTEN ricochet bullets, including right back at you. Do NOT use them..."

Yeah, when using slingshots...not real bullets, unless they're very LOW velocity.
Old August 14, 2013, 01:55 AM   #27
ZRTaylor

Art Eastman: That's an astounding thought. Very VERY far down the road indeed. Wow.

zukiphile: Right now I'm studying Cooper's "Art Of The Rifle," and the "Complete Book Of Shooting." Are there any other books you suggest.

Jproaster: I'm aiming for one of the winter Appleseed shoots. Should offer plenty of time to (hopefully) gain some fundamentals.

DPris: Understood. I'll give renewed priority to a solid rest for zeroing. I live on an old farm so there should be something somewhere nearby that'll fit the bill.
Old August 14, 2013, 12:19 PM   #28
zukiphile

Quote:
zukiphile: Right now I'm studying Cooper's "Art Of The Rifle," and the "Complete Book Of Shooting." Are there any other books you suggest.
I do not recall the titles of the books I read on the topic 30 years ago. Since then, I have seen an Army or Marine marksmanship manual that I thought covered the basics well. If memory serves, a lot of that basic advice is repeated in John Plaster's book.

I think there is a substantial advantage to reading about technique over learning about it primarily from other shooters or the Internet.

1. I have asked some very accomplished marksman (in real life, not on this form) for tips and they generally relate such rudimentary advice that all I really learn is that these gentlemen have been doing it for so long that they have forgotten or assumed as an ordinary baseline a lot of what they do.

Reading an author's considered and edited text is bound (no pun) to give one a better top to bottom view of the basics.

2. I believe that if I were to go about learning rifle technique now, I would be confused by the variety of techniques advocated, many of which seem to pertain to three gun competition or room clearing than the three position target shooting that I have subsequently found more interesting. There are lots of texts that describe shooting in those conventional positions.

Last edited by zukiphile; August 14, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old August 15, 2013, 07:53 PM   #29
MattShlock

Well, with a whole three months shooting at bowling pins I will have to defer to your experience.

Amazing...
Old September 9, 2013, 04:17 PM   #30
ZRTaylor

Moderate update. I finally got ahold of some ammo for practicing. Enough for 25 practice rounds every other day for a little over a month (450 rounds). Everyone is still obsessively hoarding .22lr and major hunting calibers around here for reasons I can't rightly figure (I saw a legally blind man buy six boxes of 30-06 the day before yesterday for "prepping"...), so I'm probably stuck with that for a while.

I've worked out a good target design, planning to shoot five sets of five shot groups for practice. Slow fire, focusing on the fundamentals, working from a rest to start.

Just to get situated I burnt my daily allowance along with a few spare rounds I had lying around and shot eleven groups from a cinder-block-covered-with-towel rest and using a shooting sling for extra support. Already a modest improvement over my first attempt posted earlier in this thread.

50 Feet Rifle Practice Target

I should note that these are from 50 FEET with a competition small bore rifle target rated for that range. Still a hell of a long way to go. Is there any advice anyone could offer? Even at only 50 feet the irons are wider than the visible width of the target. #7 and #9 had bad fliers because of the wind blowing the target.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:24 PM   #31
DPris
Member Emeritus

If you're sitting with yourself well supported & you've got the rifle well supported on a solid rest, as discussed previously, there's no reason to mess with a sling.

If you are not sitting, still trying some other non-rigid position, you're still not getting your maximum learning potential.
Denis
Old September 9, 2013, 10:31 PM   #32
jimbob86

Quote:
Appleseed will teach you how to use a sling.
They'll teach you much more than that. Attend one of these if you can.

Quote:
If you're sitting with yourself well supported & you've got the rifle well supported on a solid rest, as discussed previously, there's no reason to mess with a sling.
Untill the rest is not there when you need it!

Use a bench to establish how accurate the gun/ammo/sighting system is. After that has been established, leave it, and work on how accurate YOU can be with the system, from field positions. At the point you can shoot up to your rifle, then move on to more difficult problems.
Old September 10, 2013, 01:30 AM   #33
DPris
Member Emeritus

Jim,
We've discussed this with him previously.
It's necessary to learn the basics, including sights, trigger, breathing, and so on, from as stable a platform as possible, before moving on.

He's been talking about not even knowing where his gun was zeroed earlier.

He has little point of reference to know whether the gun's off, or he's off, and at this stage trying to learn more advanced shooting positions & sling work is not really advisable.
Denis
Old September 10, 2013, 06:24 AM   #34
Jimro

I could list articles to read, books to read, exercises to do. But none of that is a good replacement for honest instruction and coaching.

Buy or borrow an inexpensive 22 such as a Marlin 925 or Savage MkII (bolt action), Marlin 795 or Ruger 10/22 (semi auto) and put a cheap 4x scope on top. Buy a couple spare magazines. Buy a cotton web GI sling.

Find the nearest Appleseed even to you, pay your money, and get a good indoctrination into 3 position shooting.

Jimro
Old September 10, 2013, 12:59 PM   #35
DPris
Member Emeritus

He's already using an old inexpensive .22.
And he has no money for much else.
Denis
Old September 11, 2013, 03:33 AM   #36
Jimro

And yet my advice still stands. If money is an obstacle, then money isn't the problem. In this sport you have to pay to play, one way or another.

Save up, buy a sling, and a scope. Heck, use the borrowed rifle (you'll need at least two magazines, 10 round capacity). Factory irons generally suck, unless the factory happens to be "Anschutz."

Hell, a refurbed Daisy 853 from the CMP is a helluva deal for actual marksmanship training. I know air rifles aren't as "sexy" as tricked out Liberty Training Rifle, but if you can shoot an air rifle well, you can shoot a 22 well.

Jimro
Old September 11, 2013, 05:28 PM   #37
LIBERTY

First thing you need to do is get a good book on how to shoot a rifle. Next read it till you understand it. Now practice what you've read. I suspect you have a flinching problem. Have someone load the rifle for you without you knowing if he put a round in it or not. Then shoot it. When you squeeze the trigger and it doesn't go off see if you flinch! If you do you now know where the problem lies. Are you using ear protection? If not get some before you do anything else. Also dry firing is just as good as live practice and doesn't cost as much. Although the Ruger 10-22 is a fine rifle I don't think its what you need right now. An inexpensive single shot 22 with iron sights will work much better for you in learning the skills needed to learn basic shooting skills.Remember its a single well placed shot that is what your after not a bunch of inaccurate spray!!!! ALSO join the NRA IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Not only to protect the rights you are trying to exercise but because they have all the tools you need to become as good as you can. If you want to I'll give you my phone # via a PM and we can discuss your training regime on the phone.One last thing you should also be wearing eye protection also. Frank
Old September 14, 2013, 03:45 PM   #38
johnwilliamson062

Marlin target 22lr(accurate at a low price point $250 or so)
Williams peep sight($75)
Good sling