The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2011, 04:42 PM   #1
thinktwice

Kel-Tec P-11 Problem

I was shooting my P-11 some today, and after about 30 rounds it stopped locking back after the last round. It does it with both magazines. Until today it has been working flawless no malfunctions of any kind. I only have 190 rounds through this gun so far. Does anyone know what the problem might be, and how I may be able to fix it without having to send it to Kel-Tec? Other than that the little gun works perfect. Thanks
Old January 28, 2011, 06:17 PM   #2
tbone1964

Theres a great little site called KTOG.org tyhats the end all of kelttec pistols go there and ask pleanty of fyi a faq's to read but sounds like slide stop broke.
Old January 28, 2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Jehzsa

Without looking at it, it seems that indeed the slide stop broke.

If true, call Kel Tec and they'll send you a free replacement. You might be able to do the work yourself.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:16 PM   #4
orionengnr

KT Range is a good site, and has a number of knowledgeable people who can help diagnose your malfunction.

Kel-Tec has a very good Customer Service Department. They will try and help you over the phone, and will send you parts for free. For a while, I was on a first name basis with Bill.

Now, the downside. In my case, I owned four different K-Ts, did the KT Range thing, did the F&B thing, did the CS thing, replaced lots and lots of parts, changed lots of springs, bought lots of mags, shot lots of different brands of ammo...and never really got any of the four to work 100% reliably.

Sold each with full disclosure, and in doing so, lost a lot of money. This experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and I will admit that I have no love lost for Kel-Tec. They will never see another dime of my money. Especially since I own several other pocket pistols that have worked correctly from round #1 (Kahr, LCP).

My posts reflect that attitude, and I have no problem admitting that. If I can save someone else from making that mistake, so much the better.

I hope your experience turns out better than mine did.
Old January 28, 2011, 10:44 PM   #5
orionengnr

Quote:
For every one complainer you will find a 1,000 happy customers for any gun manufacturer.
No, not really. Actually, not even close.

If you have been on the internet for a while, you will see that the truth is that you will usually find about a 50/50 split, especially with "marginal" brands such as Kel-Tec and Taurus. There are polls available...

Do a search and see. Not just here, but anywhere. Start with a Google search.

I was born at night, but not last night.

After going oh-for-four, I refuse to believe that my experience is unique. The threads I have read in the last three or four years reinforce that belief.

Last edited by orionengnr; January 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old January 29, 2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Orionengnr never misses a chance to down Keltec.
I have quite a few of them. Never a hiccup.
Old January 29, 2011, 01:28 AM   #7
StrongSideArmsInc

Its amazing to me how many problems people have with different brands of weapons. Heres a new one, poll everybody that has had problem with kel tec and ask the question. "Did you read the instruction Manuel." back that up with a polygraph (because people will lie), I bet you a plug nickel, that less than 1% has acutally done it.
Give a monkey the most proven reliable firearm in the world, and he will get it to malfucntion.

Back to the orignal post, check the magazine follower on your mags, they are made of plastic, the slide stop is made of metal. Chances that a metal part broke before a plastic one is slim to none. the mag followers are what engages the slide stop to catch the slide on the last round, some times the followers will wear, and not fully enage, trouble shoot this by inserting any empty mag and pulling the slide back manuelly. if the slide locks to the rear, you slide stop is not broken, if it does not, apply pressure with the palm of your hand, to the bottom of the mag while it is in the gun and repeat the process. Does it lock back??, If not, check the slide stop and the mag followers in the mag. Also disassemble the mags and strech the springs, they could be on the light side from being loaded an extended amount of time. If none of this works, take the butt of the weapon and beat in several times against your head, your will forget all about your problems!!! LOL If it still does not work, your having some sort of tolerance issue between the two parts.
Old January 29, 2011, 02:27 AM   #8
Mosin44az

My P-11 wouldn't lock back out of the box, and had other problems right out of the box. Sent it in to Kel-tec with an angry letter ( it was NOT my first Kel-tec with problems) and they did fix it. Even got a check signed by Kelgren himself to reimburse my shipping cost as I requested.

I see the usual Kel-tec fans insisting it's a good brand. Do a search and see for yourself that Kel-tec and Taurus get ALOT more complaints than the better brands.
Old January 29, 2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

They sell a lot more guns, that's why.
Old January 29, 2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Never stretch springs!
Strongsidearms is chocked full of misinformation.
SSA- why not just read for a while, instead of trying to dazzle us with your obviously superior intellect?
Old January 29, 2011, 02:21 PM   #11
nefprotector

Disagree, My buddys Ruger has been back twice. My Kel Tec never.
Old January 29, 2011, 09:13 PM   #12
Pico

Kel-Tecs are not built to shoot a lot

Thats says it all.

Pico
Old January 29, 2011, 09:59 PM   #13
orionengnr

Quote:
Orionengnr never misses a chance to down Keltec.
Absolutely right.

Many years ago my daddy told me "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

He has been six feet under for a number of years, but I'm pretty sure I know what he would have said about "fool me four times".

I have owned four of K-Ts (one P32, two P3ATs, and one P11) and each and every one was a POS. I hope to spare others from making the mistake I did...specifically, buying one after the next and putting up with nothing but malfunctions in the belief that "K-T will make good on them" or that "a good F&B will take care of that" or "a new magazine will fix that" or "just try another brand of ammo"...

BTDT. NA(Never Again)

Each statement turned out to be ludicrously false, and I lost a good bit of money selling each with full disclosure.

If I had back all the money I spent trying to prove these fallacies, I'd buy several new LCPs and be done.

Oh...and eventually I got smart and bought an LCP, and wonder of wonders...it works perfectly...unlike any of the four K-Ts I owned. Do I need another reason to "down" Kel-Tecs?

If I can save someone else from experiencing what I did, I will suffer whatever the K-T fanboys choose to throw at me.

Last edited by orionengnr; January 29, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old January 29, 2011, 10:37 PM   #14
thinktwice

Thanks for all the replies guys.... After reading you guy's post I did some checking and most of you were right on. The slide stop broke, looks "sheared" off. So I will be calling Kel-Tec in the morning and see if they will send me one. I hope I can fix it myself, just don't want to have to send the gun in, and have that long wait to get it back. That being said, I will surely keep in mind orionengnr's replies. Sounds like he has had some pretty bad experiences with KT products. However I do personally know other owners of KT products and they are very happy with them. But If I had the problems orionengnr has had I guess I would feel the same way. Thanks to all, and wish me luck in installing the slide stop when it come in.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:05 PM   #15
StrongSideArmsInc

If you slide stop is sheared off, you might have a tolerence issue, the only thing that touches the slide stop is the mag follower, if it is sheared off something hard is hitting it during the recoil operation of the slilde. If it breaks again, I would send it back to Kel-Tec for safety reasons.